Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2017, 02:15 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
WV - 4% of 1.8 Million = 72,000 people
KY - 3.9% of 4.4 Million = 171,000
Miss - 3.8% of 3 Million = 114,000
-----------
357,000 people from these 3 red states.

CA - 2.3% of 39 million = 897,000 people
NY - 2.7% of 19 million = 513,000 people
ILL - 1.9% of 13 million = 247,000 people
----------
1,657,000 people from these 3 blue states.

* population from 2010 census
** Rounded down on CA, NY & IL population (Also, their population is likely higher now)
*** Selected CA, NY, & IL because they were the 3 most populated blue states.
**** These numbers are only for SSI with Dis. ONLY. (not welfare, section 8, food stamps etc.)

Let's all agree that this is NOT a red state or blue state problem. (& fwiw the best states on a % basis were Rocky Mountain & upper Midwest (Wyoming, the Dakotas, Colorado...but also Hawaii and NH !!??)

I'd say knock the logical (optimum?) % down to 1% (as opposed to 2.3% in CA or 3.9% in KY) and remove 2/3s of the people off the SSID rolls.
Source please? Because total numbers do not equate. It should be based on percentages because as a percentage, there are legitimately disabled people. As a percentage, I would not take a legitimately disabled person off of Disability. But when almost 10% of the state of West Virginia is on Disability, that's a problem. When almost entire towns are on disability, that's a problem. When 25% of Hale County, Alabama is on Disability, that's a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 02:21 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Disgust: Dropping a puppy on it's head and acting like they dropped a toy truck on the floor. How about someone clear that counter off, donate the fish aquarium before the fish die, give the puppy a better life. Buy a box of laundry soap and wash those kids clothes. I am surprised the county hasn't stepped in but maybe they will after reading this.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:34 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
IMO the biggest issue is the number of kids these people are having. At some point where going to have to consider some sort of limit to the number of kids a woman can have while on assistance.

I hate to say it, and I know it's going to get me some heat but I think Dr. Cornelius Rhodes had the right idea when he tried to do voluntarily sterilization programs (in exchange for getting money) in Appalachia and Puerto Rico back in the 1930s. Maybe do something voluntary like Rhodes did. Maybe require a certain income level per child. I don't know, but I do know that the status quo is not sustainable. This is also why it enrages me when Republicans try to get rid of Planned Parenthood.
I've voted Republican the past 3 times and don't have an opinion on PP. But I do believe that if someone is receiving any type of public assistance, then they should have a choice when pregnant.....Have the kid (& lose the public assistance) or go get a Government paid for abortion.

(& I will happily increase funding for PP to serve the demand). It's Economic lunacy to ENCOURAGE this multi-generational SS Disability problem (scam).

& if kids (in any state & of any color) are living in squalor, or with meth heads or drug dealers or hookers, etc. Like what was discussed on previous pages...then we as a country should have SOME type of alternative path for them. I'll let you smart people come up with ideas, but as mentioned above....the status quo is not an option, and these kids deserve options.

Bush, Obama, Trump, Wall St. Execs & Silicon Valley execs can all live in a trailer park....or get taxed at 70% for all I care. Many on the right care more about transgender bathrooms than these kids. & Many on the Left care more about climate change & if the Temp will rise by 1 degree in 80 years than care about these kids.

It's imperative to come up with options for these kids (before they're too old to make a difference). I'd rather let 3 random conservative posters & 3 random liberal posters posting in this thread.... get together in a room for 2 weeks & come up with options. Than continue the status quo or depend on the professional politicians in Washington (or the SSI D parents of these kids) to decide their fate.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:37 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Disgust: Dropping a puppy on it's head and acting like they dropped a toy truck on the floor. How about someone clear that counter off, donate the fish aquarium before the fish die, give the puppy a better life. Buy a box of laundry soap and wash those kids clothes. I am surprised the county hasn't stepped in but maybe they will after reading this.
Yep. Those are the very people, some here want to join the "work force." In fact they insist on it)))
Welcome to a friendly diner/retail store/fast food place near you)))

Old 06-03-2017, 02:48 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Source please? Because total numbers do not equate. It should be based on percentages because as a percentage, there are legitimately disabled people. As a percentage, I would not take a legitimately disabled person off of Disability. But when almost 10% of the state of West Virginia is on Disability, that's a problem. When almost entire towns are on disability, that's a problem. When 25% of Hale County, Alabama is on Disability, that's a problem.
Dude. I agree it's a problem. 25% of a pissant county in Alabama is a problem (absolutely it's a problem). & I don't know what the "number" should be (or what the goal should be).

But I would say that half the people on SSI D (NATIONWIDE) are probably either scamming or the Disability could have/should have been prevented.

The source used was the %'s that were in the link (& provided by the poster that I quoted). And I got the populations for each state from the Census from 2010. Easy Peasy.

2 X 2 = 4 The total numbers absolutely equate, genius. As someone who lives in TX, I'm more concerned about the Federal Tax Dollars going to 1 Million people in CA than to 72,000 people in WV. (But I'm concerned about all of them). As I've told people for years. You can't eat a % or a rate.....but you can use Dollars to buy food & provide for your family.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:14 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Come on. How many people are currently working today with a variety of injuries? Carpal tunnel; knee injuries, shoulder injuries, depression, anxiety, etc.

Down syndrome is another story - though plenty of people with Downs are also employed .

Stop making excuses.
I'm not making excuses; I'm thinking like an employer. If I have Person A with no disabilities, physical or otherwise, and Person B with a bad knee or back, or with a mental illness, who am I going to hire? And if I hire Person B and after a few months it's apparent they cannot do the job, I'm going to have to let Person B go.

Quote:
Perhaps leave Appalachia and move someplace with jobs and go to school.
Because pulling up and leaving your home (nevermind going back to school) is so easy - and inexpensive!

Quote:
Sonny Ryan, a retired judge in town, didn't hear disability cases in his courtroom. But the subject came up often. He described one exchange he had with a man who was on disability but looked healthy.

"Just out of curiosity, what is your disability?" the judge asked from the bench.
"I have high blood pressure," the man said.
"So do I," the judge said. "What else?"
"I have diabetes."
"So do I."[/i]
That's easy for the judge to say because he has an advanced degree and a seated job.

Quote:
25% of the town is on Disability. The town doctor that interviews people for Disability first asks them what their education is. If they only have high school, he's more likely to say they are disabled. This is utterly ridiculous. You have a region in the country that constantly demonizes education and calls people who worked and went to college "elitists", while those same "elitists" are paying for these people to claim Disability!!!
At least the town doctor is being realistic - he knows the chances of a patient finding suitable work with only a high school diploma or less is pretty slim. If someone has a bad back or knee, they aren't going to be very successful stocking shelves or cleaning bathrooms at Wal-Mart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Let's all agree that this is NOT a red state or blue state problem.
No, it's certainly an economic problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
They did seem to have some sort of county social worker coming in, but I would imagine in a rural county like that there aren't many options for life skills education -- and then, you have to get the families to pay attention to what you're trying to teach them, and it didn't seem like there was much of that happening, either.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:25 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Why do children get a "disability check"? We hand over money to the family so they can sign up for a 300 dollar per month cell phone plan? How does that help the child with the supposed "disability"? Shouldn't we just pay for any health care costs related to the disability through medicaid? There should be no financial gain in having a child classified as "disabled".

Old 06-03-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm not making excuses; I'm thinking like an employer. If I have Person A with no disabilities, physical or otherwise, and Person B with a bad knee or back, or with a mental illness, who am I going to hire? And if I hire Person B and after a few months it's apparent they cannot do the job, I'm going to have to let Person B go.

Because pulling up and leaving your home (nevermind going back to school) is so easy - and inexpensive!

That's easy for the judge to say because he has an advanced degree and a seated job.

At least the town doctor is being realistic - he knows the chances of a patient finding suitable work with only a high school diploma or less is pretty slim. If someone has a bad back or knee, they aren't going to be very successful stocking shelves or cleaning bathrooms at Wal-Mart.

No, it's certainly an economic problem.

They did seem to have some sort of county social worker coming in, but I would imagine in a rural county like that there aren't many options for life skills education -- and then, you have to get the families to pay attention to what you're trying to teach them, and it didn't seem like there was much of that happening, either.
Yet plenty of people work hard for a college education, take out student loans, evening and weekend jobs, they do what it takes to get an education. They don't go on Disability and then call those that worked for their education "elitist"! While those "elitist" people are paying to support them!!!

Old 06-03-2017, 03:36 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
You do realize that these people vote Republican every time right?
link to family's voting record?

Old 06-03-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
link to family's voting record?
These are very red states. That's the huge irony about this. These people vote Republican while taking blue state money. They vote against Obamacare while taking Social Security and Medicare (because Disability recipients get Medicare, not Medicaid). And these people get it for LIFE. It's not temporary like welfare, it's for life, both cash and health coverage. That's why some in the article say it's like winning the lottery. Almost 10% of West Virginia and the top five states are West Virginia, Kentucky Alabama, Arkansas and Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies