Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 03:23 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times

Advertisements

The vast majority of Muslims are peace loving people. Asia accounts for the majority and have relatively few issues. The PI and Thailand are exceptions.
The issue is where certain Muslims come from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 03:28 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Muslims don't need to be "celebrated" for being muslims and it's cringe worthy to see the fawning as if they are pets or poor unfortunates to be used as props for senseless displays of righteousness.

We always like to do that with people/things we secretly believe to be less than so we look like good people don't we?

Old 06-06-2017, 03:28 PM

30,259 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
You probably don't want to alienate the Muslims, after all, they are there to stay and they are going nowhere

If they feel welcome there, they will view themselves as part of the community and maybe next time, they will report something.
Boy do we disagree on this. This sounds very much like blaming the victims of these attacks. "Well, if you would have been nicer..."

No. This has nothing to do with being nicer and more welcoming. Sweden has bent over backwards for these people and they still get attacked.

What you're saying is exactly the mindset that too many Europeans have right now, and all it's doing is causing them more harm and more danger.

If there's this supposed difference between 'moderate Muslims' and terrorists, then it doesn't matter one bit how "nice and welcoming" you are to any one, the terrorists will still kill and the 'moderate Muslims' will still claim not to be any part of it.

I'm saying it straight out: You're dead wrong about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Muslims don't need to be "celebrated" for being muslims and it's cringe worthy to see the fawning as if they are pets or poor unfortunates to be used as props for senseless displays of righteousness.

We always like to do that with people/things we secretly believe to be less than so we look like good people don't we?
Totally agree. The other day I saw a tweet (as they are called) by a supposed Imam stating that he was very much against the attacks. The comment section was flooded with these types, gushing and fawning, as you said, all over the guy. "Oh, you're one of the good ones, thank you for being a good Muslim. You're so wonderful. How wonderful you are. What a brave soul you are to stand up to these people." You practically expected them to ask to adopt the guy. It was disgusting to read.

Of course, this is the very same Imam who, in the very same tweet, corrected an idiot who stated, "Thank you. We know this isn't actually Islam." To which the Imam replied, "Oh yes it is" and proceeded to inform the idiot that their religion most certainly does preach violence. The idiot then went on to try to word it differently to make it again seem like it wasn't Islam, to which this Imam stated, yet again, how wrong she was. This is Islam, he just doesn't condone these attacks.

You just can't help some people.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:30 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,743,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

Yup....sniveling virtue signaling.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:32 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Youre wasting your breath. They never seem smart enough to grasp the difference between "immutable" characteristics such as race, sex and sexuality with CHOSEN identities, such as religion or political affiliation.

I can damn well hold ALL Republicans accountable for their politicians. Same with Communists or Fascists, if someone does something in the name of their ideology, or in accordance with their stated platform.

However, I can't hold all red heads accountable for what a red head does. Can't tell a black person to be held accountable for what other blacks do.

I can, however, hold Muslims accountable for what their fellow believers do in the name of their ideology. Only THEY can ultimately change the way THEIR stupid religion is followed and interpreted. Everyone else just gets held hostage by it.
That doesn't make sense.

Do you hold all Christians accountable for the actions of, say, Westboro church members?

Extremists are responsible for their own perversions of a religion. The religion isn't responsible for those perversions.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:32 PM

31,074 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The vast majority of Muslims are peace loving people. Asia accounts for the majority and have relatively few issues. The PI and Thailand are exceptions.
The issue is where certain Muslims come from.
Naw, the supposed moderate Muslim countries of Indonesia of Turkey are resorting back to their roots.

"Targeting of LGBT and Christians in Indonesia raise alarm"
https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...larm/22123375/

"Flatmates of gay Syrian refugee beheaded in Turkey fear they will be next"
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y-will-be-next

Old 06-06-2017, 03:33 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,932,406 times
I'm probably as kneejerk as anyone when it comes to terrorism. However, I do think that Muslims seem to be in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" position. Imagine if old white guys were blowing stuff up. I'd want to show up at a memorial or a rally just to show that ALL old white guys aren't so bad. This is kinda what these folks are doing, so I have to give them a pass of sorts.

14,682 posts, read 14,656,423 times
And here is direct evidence contradicting the assertions of the OP. The ringleader of the attack was known to authorities because local Muslims contacted them about his radicalization efforts on children, and he was even taped on a TV program flying an ISIS flag.

London attack: Arsenal shirted jihadi named Khuram Butt | Daily Mail Online

39,232 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Boy do we disagree on this. This sounds very much like blaming the victims of these attacks. "Well, if you would have been nicer..."

No. This has nothing to do with being nicer and more welcoming. Sweden has bent over backwards for these people and they still get attacked.

What you're saying is exactly the mindset that too many Europeans have right now, and all it's doing is causing them more harm and more danger.

If there's this supposed difference between 'moderate Muslims' and terrorists, then it doesn't matter one bit how "nice and welcoming" you are to any one, the terrorists will still kill and the 'moderate Muslims' will still claim not to be any part of it.

I'm saying it straight out: You're dead wrong about this.
Okay, point taken.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:34 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I'm probably as kneejerk as anyone when it comes to terrorism. However, I do think that Muslims seem to be in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" position. Imagine if old white guys were blowing stuff up. I'd want to show up at a memorial or a rally just to show that ALL old white guys aren't so bad. This is kinda what these folks are doing, so I have to give them a pass of sorts.
They were being honored, they should be the ones honoring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies