Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2017, 09:12 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
It's different with the federal government. There's a law that governs 'ownership' of material such as what Comey produced.
No there isn't. And Comey didn't "leak" anything because his notes were not classified. These were his personal notes on meetings with Trump. So what? How about Trump release the tapes he keeps claiming he has of their conversations instead of trying to discredit Comey and ruin his reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 09:48 PM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
What's really impressive our President does this for no pay. He donates his salary to good causes. Hillary took millions in bribes from foreign countries as Secretary of State. Can you imagine what a chit show Hillary would have turned the White House into. She would be making billions in side deals while telling her blind and mindless minions how fortunate they were to have voted her into the presidency and she is watching out for their interests. ROTFLMAO!

Hell has a special place for this wench.
Best post I've read today!

Gotta owe you the rep.
I took care of the rep. Though I voted for Hillary (I am a lifelong leftist Democrat) if the election were held today I'd vote for Trump. I hope to G-d that the Democrats' corruption is exposed.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:49 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Lots of people also ignore the powerhouse of people Mueller brought on this case. The country's best criminal lawyer. The guy who prosecuted Enron. A Watergate prosecutor. The guy who took down one of the worst crime bosses in the country's history.

It's the Avengers of lawyers on this case. You don't put together that kind of team if you don't have some major criminal behavior going on.
I'm torn about that. On the one hand Comey deliberately leaked the memo to trigger the Special Counsel. So, one could assume, Comey believed there was enough "there" there that he want to be certain the investigation would go forward.

On the other hand, with Mueller hiring the best of the best, the investigation is insulated from Trump haters crying "foul" if it ends up a bust.

And, then, on the third hand, you hear Newt Gingrich on Fox screaming that hiring these 'junkyard dogs' proves this is a witch hunt with the sole purpose of finding criminal activity.

I have a sinking feeling it may end up being a nothingburger. Or, if the SC finds wrongdoing, Trump's Justice Dept. won't do a thing about it - and Congress will ignore it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No there isn't. And Comey didn't "leak" anything because his notes were not classified. These were his personal notes on meetings with Trump. So what? How about Trump release the tapes he keeps claiming he has of their conversations instead of trying to discredit Comey and ruin his reputation.
Yeah, ain't it something? Trump can falsely and irresponsibly defame and insult - everyone - willy nilly - and that's OK - but should anyone dare to defend themselves and return the favor with a fact-based statement against Trump, then that person is the liar.

The Congress and the country are going to be chasing its tails investigating that POS's neverending lies for the next 3.5 years.

It is utterly disgusting.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It is a memo to self. A memory aid. And it is as well an FBI document. But it can be both. And if it had no classified material there is no reason why he could not maintain a private copy. I have many items that I prepared for an employer but of which I retain a copy. I would feel no compunction about releasing them...in fact I just offered a museum some interesting stuff from the development of the original color copier.
I would think a lawyer might well retain documents and later release them under some circumstances. Particularly stuff where there is no attorney client privilege.
There is something called the "work-product privilege." It is related to but different from the attorney-client privilege. The release of that memo was deplorable.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:21 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
There is something called the "work-product privilege." It is related to but different from the attorney-client privilege. The release of that memo was deplorable.
You are getting close to flat out lying. The legal "work product" is entirely different and you should know that.

In American civil procedure, the work-product doctrine protects materials prepared in anticipation of litigation from discovery by opposing counsel
And in no way is it a "work product" in the business sense. It is merely the documentation of a meeting.

I think you suffer from being a closet right winger. All the symptoms point to it.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:48 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,760,894 times
I bet Trump does have a tape of their meeting and in this case, if Comey lied, then Comey must be sweating bullets right now.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:49 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
You are getting close to flat out lying. The legal "work product" is entirely different and you should know that.

In American civil procedure, the work-product doctrine protects materials prepared in anticipation of litigation from discovery by opposing counsel
And in no way is it a "work product" in the business sense. It is merely the documentation of a meeting.

I think you suffer from being a closet right winger. All the symptoms point to it.

It was illegal for Comey to leak the memo(s). The memos are a Federal Record, and his removal and leaking are a violation of Federal Law.

I think it's quite likely that Comey has leaked before. He clearly dislikes Trump, and had clear intent to take him down. He is part of the "swamp," an entrenched bureaucrat, elitist, and Leftist cult member. He was doing Obama's bidding (he was loyal to that administration). He was anything but "independent."

Old 06-12-2017, 04:08 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Nonsense.

Unless authorized to disclose specific government information to the press, classified or not, it is a leak. It may be in violation of other government regulations & rules.

Furthermore taking "personal" notes during a private meeting doesn't give an employee the right to disclose them to the Press. That is nonsense too.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:

I don't know where you get your definition from, but there is no question that Comey prepared the memo in anticipation of either litigation or charges. And why the need to call me a liar? Is this where we are in the country now?

Old 06-12-2017, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I bet Trump does have a tape of their meeting and in this case, if Comey lied, then Comey must be sweating bullets right now.
Quite true. Unfortunately that raises the question of what other tapes may be floating around, and this is not limited to tapes involving President Trump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It was illegal for Comey to leak the memo(s). The memos are a Federal Record, and his removal and leaking are a violation of Federal Law.

I think it's quite likely that Comey has leaked before. He clearly dislikes Trump, and had clear intent to take him down. He is part of the "swamp," an entrenched bureaucrat, elitist, and Leftist cult member. He was doing Obama's bidding (he was loyal to that administration). He was anything but "independent."
You really nailed the whole point here. The Trump election, if you remember, engendered panic.

Many bureaucrats' jobs would have been far safer in a Clinton administration for a lot of reasons. Clinton's ideology was more in tune with Obama's. And Clinton has enough skeletons of her own to hide. Many people would have promised and delivered angelic behavior to avoid being on the wrong side of a Clinton Justice Department.

Remember Travelgate? She was quite the vengeful firing agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies