Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2017, 05:03 PM

105 posts, read 53,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It is a memo to self. A memory aid. And it is as well an FBI document. But it can be both. And if it had no classified material there is no reason why he could not maintain a private copy. I have many items that I prepared for an employer but of which I retain a copy. I would feel no compunction about releasing them...in fact I just offered a museum some interesting stuff from the development of the original color copier.
I would think a lawyer might well retain documents and later release them under some circumstances. Particularly stuff where there is no attorney client privilege.

Exactly. I've always kept a CYA file off premises in any job I've held in the past 30 years. Usually it is never needed, however, in one case, it was the key element that allowed me win an unlawful dismissal suit against my former employer.

I too would make notes immediately after a meeting or incidence I felt needed to be documented, and I am not a lawyer or in law enforcement, although I was in sensitive positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 05:13 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Meetings that were not part of their daily job.
Something might be coming out.
We will see if it is anything or not.
But you have not provided one source for your claim

Old 06-11-2017, 05:33 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It is a memo to self. A memory aid. And it is as well an FBI document. But it can be both. And if it had no classified material there is no reason why he could not maintain a private copy. I have many items that I prepared for an employer but of which I retain a copy. I would feel no compunction about releasing them...in fact I just offered a museum some interesting stuff from the development of the original color copier.
I would think a lawyer might well retain documents and later release them under some circumstances. Particularly stuff where there is no attorney client privilege.
It's different with the federal government. There's a law that governs 'ownership' of material such as what Comey produced.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:36 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
It's different with the federal government. There's a law that governs 'ownership' of material such as what Comey produced.
And he recorded it on a government owned Laptop. He was also there as the FBI Director, not as a private citizen.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:41 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,802,638 times
Preet Bharara was also strong armed by Trump and has come forward and talking to the press about how..

Trump wanted him to stay on

Trump personally phoned him to just "shoot the breeze"

Trump fired him hours after Preet refused to take Trump's calls.

No one accuses Preet of leaking to the press. The only difference here is Comey wrote down what Trump said.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:44 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,802,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
And he recorded it on a government owned Laptop. He was also there as the FBI Director, not as a private citizen.
There are times you can't disclose what POTUS says to you. This is not one of them.

Read the Harvard Gazette

Old 06-11-2017, 05:48 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Prove it.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:52 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValeBV View Post
Exactly. I've always kept a CYA file off premises in any job I've held in the past 30 years. Usually it is never needed, however, in one case, it was the key element that allowed me win an unlawful dismissal suit against my former employer.

I too would make notes immediately after a meeting or incidence I felt needed to be documented, and I am not a lawyer or in law enforcement, although I was in sensitive positions.
Absolutely. Document everything. Especially with supervisors or coworkers of whom you are wary.

This is what HR is doing. Keeping a file, and they will use it if they ever need to. I actually have documented things by email so they are dated, and it could never be claimed that the notes were created at a later date, or given them to HR to please add to the record, as some Trump loyalists clutching at straws have been trying say--that Comey created it all later. This is why he shared the notes with associates--so it was known when they were written.

I would think now, more than ever, anyone meeting with Trump will keep notes on everything said and done at meetings. And, frankly, it should be taped so that nobody can revise history later. Sad, but this is a president who has a terrible relationship with the truth.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:57 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Preet Bharara was also strong armed by Trump and has come forward and talking to the press about how..

Trump wanted him to stay on

Trump personally phoned him to just "shoot the breeze"

Trump fired him hours after Preet refused to take Trump's calls.

No one accuses Preet of leaking to the press. The only difference here is Comey wrote down what Trump said.
I saw the interview with Bharara today and thought it was very interesting. He actually did what some of the GOP congress members advised that Comey should have done. He questioned Trump directly to his face and he then refused calls.

And he was fired. I think we can safely assume that had Comey done the same, he would also have been fired. Comey was in a no win situation. If he just kept notes and built a case, then he 'should' have been reporting it or confronting Trump. But had he reported it (like to Sessions?) or told Trump to his face that this was inappropriate, he would have been fired sooner.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:24 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Again nonsense. The Feds may well have ownership of things of value but cannot control the content of your mind. And they simply cannot seize control of you writing down your thoughts - at least not on matters not classified. And I doubt they can in fact do it for classified stuff.

Give you a classical example. If, will working for the feds, you discovered a new physical principal, do the feds own it? Generally no because no one can own physical principals. They are facts not work products. So can they forbid you to write it down outside the government? On what basis? They do not own it so how can they direct you not to disclose it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies