Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 12:27 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You understand I'm agreeing with you, yes?

You should say this to who I'm responding too....
Just backing you up.

I noticed the psycho babble has trickled to a stop though...

Old 06-16-2017, 12:32 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
There are a variety of problems with guns in our society. One of which was highlighted by the baseball shooter, who is typical of many guns owners in America: They simply can't responsibly handle a weapon.

This guy got off how many shots? And how few hit the mark? A handful. That alone is extremely dangerous when your skills are so poor you cant even hit the target. Too many of these cowboys can't hit the broad side of a barn. So we give them weapons with multi-shot magazines just in case.

Sad.
Most of the return fire from the cops missed too.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:33 PM

46,260 posts, read 27,078,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Just backing you up.

I noticed the psycho babble has trickled to a stop though...

Old 06-16-2017, 01:36 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I take all comers to this anti gun argument.

Come with fact not emotion.
I'm very pro-gun and stopped counting when I bought my 20th gun. I can't see how any additional laws would prevent guns from getting in the hands of the wrong people. Banning magazines or firearms with certain features are nothing more than "feel good" laws. A bolt action hunting rifle isn't any less dangerous than rifles that are banned in certain states.

The only law I don't see a problem with adding is background checks (with an exemption for concealed carry permit holders) for private sales. You can never be 100% sure if you are selling a gun to someone with a criminal record.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:57 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,519,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
THIS is the real issue, not politics, not religion, not even mental illness. Guns. Sorry, NRA, MORE guns are not the solution. "Rounding Third, Carrying an AK-47, and Headed for Home" ???????? NO, NRA. LESS guns is what is needed.

I respect YOUR opinion

However, I'd rather be judged by twelve then carried by six

Old 06-16-2017, 02:00 PM

807 posts, read 689,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I have to give them credit on this one. An lone, overweight, elderly man armed with a knife or baseball bat, running around a baseball field trying to attack Congresspeople probably young enough to be his children? Laughable, but put a gun in his hand and it is deadly.

THIS is the real issue, not politics, not religion, not even mental illness. Guns. Sorry, NRA, MORE guns are not the solution. "Rounding Third, Carrying an AK-47, and Headed for Home" ???????? NO, NRA. LESS guns is what is needed.

I am a Sanders supporter, who voted for Hillary. Senseless Violence, be that against a Democrat, Republican, Black Churchgoers, or School Children.

Eliminate the MEANS, and the Motive becomes Moot.
I've got a better idea: let's just ban murder altogether. That way, people who want to own guns can do so, but people who hate guns don't have to worry about getting killed by someone with a gun. This would also eliminate every other form of murder possible. Am I right in thinking this would be the perfect solution?

The bottom line is that if you have already made up your mind that you are going to murder somebody, you're going to disregard any and all laws that are in place to prohibit murder. If you're not allowed to drive a car legally, you'll do so illegally. If you're not allowed to buy a gun legally, you'll do so illegally. If you're not allowed to be within a stated distance of another individual legally, you'll do so illegally. I hope you get my point.

And if we're going to avoid dealing with the actual problems - which are the people behind these acts - and continue to blame inanimate objects like guns, why stop there? Why not eliminate ALL means - airplanes, baseball bats, cars, guns, ropes, trash bags, and the like - so that there's no possible motive to commit murder?

Old 06-16-2017, 02:09 PM

50,246 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm very pro-gun and stopped counting when I bought my 20th gun. I can't see how any additional laws would prevent guns from getting in the hands of the wrong people. Banning magazines or firearms with certain features are nothing more than "feel good" laws. A bolt action hunting rifle isn't any less dangerous than rifles that are banned in certain states.

The only law I don't see a problem with adding is background checks (with an exemption for concealed carry permit holders) for private sales. You can never be 100% sure if you are selling a gun to someone with a criminal record.
Well, we rather hashed that one out too. A guy can get bounced on a BGC go back into the same store, buy the exact same weapon in 80%er and be shooting at the range in an hour. 80,000 prohibited persons try to buy each year and we prosecute an average of 4.

We need to enforce existing laws not layer on more crap laws that do nothing.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:14 PM

78,345 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Probably already posted but what a funny thread being capped off by the guy who nabbed the escaped prisoners...with guns.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:20 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,178,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
First they take their own life, if they are gonna kill themselves they are gonna do it, with or without a gun.

Now, you want to take suicide and lop in in the same arena as gang bangers and drive by shootings?

Now, you tell us, how you will tailor the law to fit both of them?
I'm not equating them, just re-stating a statistic that people use them quite frequently for suicide.

There are plenty of mentally ill people that can acquire guns quite easily, including veterans with PTSD.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:23 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,178,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
You really need to listen when people talk. Your false pretenses on firearms owners are laughable. The last thing any responsible firearms owner wants to do is draw their weapon on anything other than a target, that doesn't mean they won't hesitate to protect their or a loved ones life. To look forward to it though....certainly not , only in your mind of make believe.
There are a considerable number that are in that category but generally speaking most are responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies