Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 08:34 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The only ones who can bring a President down, or who would want to are the Republicans at this point in time.

The Democrats certainly prefer Trump to the alternatives. So when you get through all the smoke you have Republicans investigating Republicans...but trying to blame it on the Democrats.

The only sin for the Democrats is enjoying the Republican discomfort too much. You still have to pay attention and keep the pressure on. Maximize the damage Trump does to the Republican cause...and that the Republicans do to themselves.
I think you are overestimating what the average American understands.

They pay attention sporadically. And, what they see when they watch the news or flip on CNN a couple times a week is that Trump is constantly under attack and can do no right. They view that as unfair and un-American. I.E. give the guy a chance.

That's what I heard this week. Along with, things like how dare they accuse someone like Jeff Sessions of colluding with Russians, etc. Again, un-American to assume an American senator of either party would be colluding with Russians. That stench is going to stick to the Democrats for years.

You are assuming that most americans are capable of the nuanced thinking you described. Its just not so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 09:08 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I think you are overestimating what the average American understands.

They pay attention sporadically. And, what they see when they watch the news or flip on CNN a couple times a week is that Trump is constantly under attack and can do no right. They view that as unfair and un-American. I.E. give the guy a chance.

That's what I heard this week. Along with, things like how dare they accuse someone like Jeff Sessions of colluding with Russians, etc. Again, un-American to assume an American senator of either party would be colluding with Russians. That stench is going to stick to the Democrats for years.

You are assuming that most americans are capable of the nuanced thinking you described. Its just not so.
I am assuming absolutely nothing about the "average American" That is who elected Trump...and they will be beside themselves when this goes down...that is if it does.

But the "Average American" will neither effect or understand what did or did not happen.

Average Americans do not direct policy. They simply react to it. After the fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies