Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 06:57 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Most of the NeverTrumpers were Republicans.

This isn't about Democrats and Republicans, people that would get along just fine together were it not for the current working-class slave revolt.

This is about a candidate, selected by working Americans to run against the DC establishment, being targeted for a coup by the same DC establishment.

You people have been barking for months about Trump-Russia collusion, and now that the collusion ship has sailed, it's obstruction of justice.

When that fails, it will be something else because you people simply cannot accept the results of the election.
Well if you can't trust democrats and you can't trust republicans, what's left.

This is about a respected prosecutor appointed by a respected DOJ head who in turn was appointed by Trump, I don't see a reason to complain but if this is an issue then we need to import some people from another planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 07:08 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,645,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well if you can't trust democrats and you can't trust republicans, what's left.

This is about a respected prosecutor appointed by a respected DOJ head who in turn was appointed by Trump, I don't see a reason to complain but if this is an issue then we need to import some people from another planet.
No doubt you have those connections from another planet and can appeal to their better nature for assistance.

Some don't consider Uranus a planet. So lets not count on that.

BREAKING NEWS! Uranus 'Not a Planet', Some Astronomers Say

Old 06-16-2017, 09:58 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Actually only YOU have been painting it that way, despite many people pointing out that you were fixated on the word "collusion", to the detriment of any broader understanding. Possibly the most obvious straw man ever.

Without COLLUSION, what is the crime?

You have announced Trump's guilt in advance of any evidence that would indicate what he might be guilty of.

That's why you can't say for sure what he did, and that's what makes it a classic witch hunt.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:55 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
So, let me get your "logic" straight. Mueller was appointed by deputy AG Rosenstein. Rosenstein was appointed by Trump. But liberals are to blame?... little help?
Rosenstein is an Obama appointee.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:55 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
This is a thinly veiled attempt to portray the ongoing investigation as illegitimate.

Trump described convicted pedophile, Jeffrey Epstein as a, "Terrific guy,” and says “He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it — Jeffrey enjoys his social life.”

And we ALL know how he praised Putin. If these sorts of statements were smoking guns, Trump would be wearing orange right now.

As for Hatfill, that case was brought by AG John Ashcr@ft, interesting that you leave his name out of it, as he was the primary driver of the prosecution. In fact, Hatfill sued Ashcr@ft (who city data censors, for some reason!).

Saying that prosecutors "botch" cases is not unlike recalling Trump's history of bankruptcies as reason to distrust his business skills. Win some, lose some.

And while we are at it, and using your corrupt logic, we can assume that nothing Sessions says is credible, since he was BOTH appointed and praised by Trump.

Gotta love a double edge sword!
Well, the first part of your post is a dumb "I know you are, but what am I" spiel; however, your statement about Ashcr@ft is right on. He did bring the case against Hatfill..........on the recommendation of Comey and Mueller who were the investigators of the case. Comey and Mueller couldn't prosecute Hatfill. They didn't have that authority. That wasn't their job.

Look, I don't know if Mueller will do an appropriate job here or not. I guess we'll have to wait for the results of what he digs up before we can draw conclusions; however I do believe there appears to be a conflict of interest here, but that's the way our government seems to roll these days. There probably isn't a person available to do the investigation who isn't conflicted in some way or another. Hard to find an honest person these days.

Here's the law on special prosecutors. I'll let you decide whether or not Mueller fits or not.

28 USC Section 528

The Attorney General shall promulgate rules and regulations which require the disqualification of any officer or employee of the Department of Justice, including a United States attorney or a member of such attorney’s staff, from participation in a particular investigation or prosecution if such participation may result in a personal, financial, or political conflict of interest, or the appearance thereof. Such rules and regulations may provide that a willful violation of any provision thereof shall result in removal from office.

Robert Mueller is a personal friend of James Comey and was Comey's mentor.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Well, the first part of your post is a dumb "I know you are, but what am I" spiel; however, your statement about Ashcr@ft is right on. He did bring the case against Hatfill..........on the recommendation of Comey and Mueller who were the investigators of the case. Comey and Mueller couldn't prosecute Hatfill. They didn't have that authority. That wasn't their job.

Look, I don't know if Mueller will do an appropriate job here or not. I guess we'll have to wait for the results of what he digs up before we can draw conclusions; however I do believe there appears to be a conflict of interest here, but that's the way our government seems to roll these days. There probably isn't a person available to do the investigation who isn't conflicted in some way or another. Hard to find an honest person these days.

Here's the law on special prosecutors. I'll let you decide whether or not Mueller fits or not.

28 USC Section 528

The Attorney General shall promulgate rules and regulations which require the disqualification of any officer or employee of the Department of Justice, including a United States attorney or a member of such attorney’s staff, from participation in a particular investigation or prosecution if such participation may result in a personal, financial, or political conflict of interest, or the appearance thereof. Such rules and regulations may provide that a willful violation of any provision thereof shall result in removal from office.

Step down Mueller.
Do it.
Do it now.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:32 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,519,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post

28 USC Section 528

Comey is not under investigation. He was the previous investigator. He is, at most, a witness to the fact of his own firing by the President. That does not establish anything approaching a conflict of interest on Mueller's part.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:57 AM

[quote=TheCityTheBridge;48524849]
Quote:
Comey is not under investigation.
How do you know ? Mueller is supposed to be investigation related crimes. Comey is guilty of malfeasance of office.

Quote:
He was the previous investigator. He is, at most, a witness to the fact of his own firing by the President. That does not establish anything approaching a conflict of interest on Mueller's part.
He is a witness to the obstruction of Lynch and conspiring with her too.

Oh yeah, he is in deep, that one.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:31 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,519,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
How do you know ? Mueller is supposed to be investigation related crimes. Comey is guilty of malfeasance of office.

He is a witness to the obstruction of Lynch and conspiring with her too.

Oh yeah, he is in deep, that one.
You should try a new source for news. There is no Comey "malfeasance of office" offense.

There is no Lynch obstruction offense. There is a request to describe the email investigation as a "matter" to Congress, not an investigation. There is no direction or request to terminate the investigation. Comey didn't think there was, either. He just didn't think the request was that big of a deal.

Again, from Comey's testimony:

CORNYN: ... did on multiple occasions. And that heightened your concerns about the appearance of a conflict of interest with the Department of Justice, which caused you to make what you have described as an incredibly painful decision to basically take the matter up yourself, and — led to that July press conference.
COMEY: Yes, sir. I can — after the — President Clinton — former President Clinton met on the plane with the attorney general, I considered whether I should call for the appointment of a special counsel, and had decided that that would be an unfair thing to do, because I knew there was no case there.
We had investigated very, very thoroughly. I know this is a subject of passionate disagreement, but I knew there was no case there. And calling for the appointment of special counsel would be brutally unfair because it would send the message, aha (ph), there’s something here.
That was my judgment. Again, lots of people have different views of it. But that’s how I thought about it.
. . . .
LANKFORD: And then you made a comment earlier about the attorney general — previous attorney general — asking you about the investigation on the Clinton e-mails, saying that you’d been asked not to call it an “investigation” anymore, but to call it a “matter.”
And you had said that confused you. Can you give us additional details on that?
COMEY: Well, it concerned me, because we were at the point where we had refused to confirm the existence, as we typically do, of an investigation, for months, and it was getting to a place where that looked silly, because the campaigns were talking about interacting with the FBI in the course of our work.
The — the Clinton campaign, at the time, was using all kind of euphemisms — security review, matters, things like that, for what was going on. We were getting to a place where the attorney general and I were both going to have to testify and talk publicly about. And I wanted to know, was she going to authorize us to confirm we had an investigation?
And she said, yes, but don’t call it that, call it a matter. And I said, why would I do that? And she said, just call it a matter.
And, again, you look back in hindsight, you think should I have resisted harder? I just said, all right, it isn’t worth — this isn’t a hill worth dying on and so I just said, OK, the press is going to completely ignore it. And that’s what happened.
When I said, we have opened a matter, they all reported the FBI has an investigation open. And so that concerned me because that language tracked the way the campaign was talking about FBI’s work and that’s concerning.
LANKFORD: It gave the impression that the campaign was somehow using the same language as the FBI, because you were handed the campaign language and told to be able (ph) to use the campaign language...
(CROSSTALK)
COMEY: Yeah — and — and again, I don’t know whether it was intentional or not, but it gave the impression that the attorney general was looking to align the way we talked about our work with the way a political campaign was describing the same activity, which was inaccurate.
We had a criminal investigation open with — as I said before, the Federal Bureau of Investigation. We had an investigation open at the time, and so that gave me a queasy feeling.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:53 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,341,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Rosenstein is an Obama appointee.
Nope. Originally Bush who nominated him later to the Court of Appeals. Turned down by lack of support from Maryland Senators. Was among the US Attorneys required to resign. Trump declined and nominated him as Assistant AG. All Republican and owned by Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies