Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 09:02 AM

18,500 posts, read 15,308,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What is the motivation of a Christian trying to talk you into becoming a Christian?

You have to look at the motivation. Christians believe that to get into Heaven you must accept Christ. They essentially see it as the same as giving a person with cancer the cure for cancer. It's not done out of hate, it's done in the belief that you are helping that person.

My guess is that if gay people believe that being gay prevented Alzheimers, they would probably say something bad could happen to you if you didn't commit a homosexual act. It would be done out of concern for you.

If a Christian was wanting to be cruel to you, wouldn't the cruel act be trying to keep you out of Heaven by not telling you how to get in it?
The fact that their intentions are good only makes it slightly less annoying.

If gay people came to me with a peer reviewed, scientific study proving homosexuality is a cure for Alzheimer's, I would have to read the study and the methodology and then take it from there. If they told me that the link between heterosexuality and Alzheimer's was based on nothing more than faith, I would probably roll my eyes and walk away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 09:08 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,354,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
You do realize that not all Christians are against abortion and gay marriage?
Any "Christian" who is not against abortion or "gay 'marriage'" isn't a Christian. They may think they are. But a Christian is one who has accepted Christ as Lord. To deny life to the pre-born (actually murder what is already living) and to believe that marriage is anything other than between a man and a woman is to deny Christ.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:15 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,014,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
As far as I am concerned they are one and the same. They just call their God something different. Posters on this forum are always screaming about how Muslims want to impose Sharia law on us, but what about all the Talibangelicals who are always trying to impose their fundamentalist brand of Christianity on us? Posters are always babbling about how the Koran says this or that ... but what about the Christian fundamentalists like Ted Cruz who think that the Bible should dictate government policy?

Goldwater was right. The American Right has been hijacked by Christian fundamentalists.
apples to oranges

Compare the number of recent attacks by a Muslim yelling " Allah" vs the number of attacks by a Christian yelling " Jesus".

Old 06-26-2017, 09:21 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,800,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
apples to oranges

Compare the number of recent attacks by a Muslim yelling " Allah" vs the number of attacks by a Christian yelling " Jesus".
Far more right wing extremists (who identify as Christian usually) have taken place in this country than Muslim terrorist acts.

One doesn't need to yell Jesus for it to be an attack by a religious person.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:22 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,014,375 times
In St Cloud MN a young Somali Muslim went on a stabbing spree at a shopping mall and wounded about 10 people before an off duty cop shot and killed him.

Muslims arrived at the scene immediately and turned it into a sympathy for the Muslim community.

The St Cloud Times was happy to oblige and covered the Muslims extensively.

Very little press was given to the white stabbing victims and few interviews or coverage was done.

All health care workers were told to wear a certain bracelet that signified the worker was sympathetic to the Muslim community and was not blaming them.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:36 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,122,642 times
The Religious Right is a minor annoyance. Islamic Fundamentalists are an existential threat. It never ceases to amaze me that left-wingers can't comprehend this.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:37 AM

18,520 posts, read 9,203,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
The Religious Right is a minor annoyance. Islamic Fundamentalists are an existential threat. It never ceases to amaze me that left-wingers can't comprehend this.
Islamic fundamentalists don't have a sitting Vice President.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:38 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,680,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The fact that their intentions are good only makes it slightly less annoying.

If gay people came to me with a peer reviewed, scientific study proving homosexuality is a cure for Alzheimer's, I would have to read the study and the methodology and then take it from there. If they told me that the link between heterosexuality and Alzheimer's was based on nothing more than faith, I would probably roll my eyes and walk away.
How often are you approached by Christians trying to convert you?

Old 06-26-2017, 09:39 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,800,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
In the United States, nearly 75% of all terrorist/violent acts are committed by right wing extremists. Islamic Fundamentalist is a major threat in other parts of the world, but in the US, the religious right is far more dangerous and has far more power.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:39 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,122,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Islamic fundamentalists don't have a sitting Vice President.
If you don't like Pence then vote him out of office in 2020. See how easy that is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies