Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 11:52 AM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
How often are you approached by Christians trying to convert you?
Not often in the NYC area. When I lived in Dallas, it wasn't uncommon. Well, "trying to convert" is a little strong for what they would do. They would bring up religion often and try to do a "soft sell" of Christianity. Personally, I don't even like discussing my own religion with people, let alone theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 11:55 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Not often in the NYC area. When I lived in Dallas, it wasn't uncommon. Well, "trying to convert" is a little strong for what they would do. They would bring up religion often and try to do a "soft sell" of Christianity. Personally, I don't even like discussing my own religion with people, let alone theirs.
So, you would agree with people who claim they are tired of having homosexuality shoved in front of them?

Old 06-26-2017, 11:57 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I agree with you there.

People’s political and religious beliefs are too closely tied to their identities to be discussed without incident at work. Disagreeing with someone else’s views can quickly alter their otherwise strong perception of you. Confronting someone’s core values is one of the most insulting things you can do.

One reason I rarely discuss religion and politics with people I don't know in public. I see no point. Plus, people (some at least) always take everything so personally. I don't even discuss my preference of guys anymore.

People build their lives around their ideals and beliefs, and giving them your two cents is risky. You don't believe you are better than them, but they think you do; you don't want to change their views, but they think you want to. Just not worth it.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:09 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,227,705 times
The previous comment said:
What's even more crazy is Hitler's, Propaganda Ministry, Joseph Goebbels ideology is far too similar to the craziness going on today in American. Maybe people should look at the Religious Views of Hitler and then consider the atrocities as well as the end results of the reign of such Terror making. All together it means, one need to be careful of the man who seeks to make use of "religion" for political purposes, and the act of "megalomaniac" as such promotes as well as set the stage to invigorate the havoc it invokes across the nation. Thus so:
As a tool of a political agenda, it could promote great conflict, giving rise to the invoking of Marshall Law, and thus "Suspending the Constitution".... ("who then would have the power to re-institute the Constitution)??? We will have found ourselves in the grips of a "Coup d'état" that shocks and changes the world as we currently know it to be.

Quote:
Hitler "abandoned himself entirely to megalomania" and the "sin of hybris", an exaggerated self-pride, believing himself to be more than a man. (that was his religion !!!)....

in his younger years he was groomed from threads of various religious elements in his upbringing, which he found reason to detest and committed himself to abhor Christianity and Catholicism, and his hatred of the Jews only increased in his ideological concepts as time age and the megalomaniac aspirations consumed him in every aspects and ideal.

"Hitler was skeptical of religion generally, but recognized that he could only be elected if he feigned a commitment to and belief in Christianity. Hitler himself was reluctant to make public attacks on the Church for political reasons.

Hitler said he anticipated a coming collapse of Christianity in the wake of scientific advances, and that Nazism and religion could not co-exist long term. Although he was prepared to delay conflicts for political reasons, historians conclude that he ultimately intended the destruction of Christianity in Germany, or at least its distortion or subjugation to a Nazi outlook. (That of the "megalomania" as in Himself being the deity promoting the ideals of a superior race.)

Last edited by Chance and Change; 06-26-2017 at 12:23 PM..

Old 06-26-2017, 12:33 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
"As far as I am concerned they are one and the same."

Then you are a fool.

Fundamentalist Christians say convert to get into heaven

Fundamentalist Islamists say convert or we will kill you.

And you don't see a difference?
Have you studied the history of Christianity?

Moreover, do you know much about Islam? Because they also think they're going to heaven if they convert.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:33 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
The previous comment said:
What's even more crazy is Hitler's, Propaganda Ministry, Joseph Goebbels ideology is far too similar to the craziness going on today in American. Maybe people should look at the Religious Views of Hitler and then consider the atrocities as well as the end results of the reign of such Terror making. All together it means, one need to be careful of the man who seeks to make use of "religion" for political purposes, and the act of "megalomaniac" as such promotes as well as set the stage to invigorate the havoc it invokes across the nation. Thus so:
As a tool of a political agenda, it could promote great conflict, giving rise to the invoking of Marshall Law, and thus "Suspending the Constitution".... ("who then would have the power to re-institute the Constitution)??? We will have found ourselves in the grips of a "Coup d'état" that shocks and changes the world as we currently know it to be.
LOL
That didn't take long to shift from Christians are radicalized terrorists to Trump=Hitler

Anyone seeing any camps open up with machine gun towers barbed wire and chimneys?
Anyone seeing massive staged militarized rallies and parades? I mean massive. What Hitler had for parades and rallies made the inauguration day look like your kids highschool color guard/drill team.
Have we invaded Canada or Mexico yet for more room?
Have we confiscated the rights to bear arms and submit to the state?

Take off the tinfoil hat...
You claim to know history, well maybe you do... never know what is being taught and published these days with the white washing of history. Excuse me that's not politically correct, reorganization of historical context and data...

Do you remember when fringe folks on the right claimed obama was Hitler?
I laughed equally hard at them as I do you buffoons.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
What is the motivation of a Christian trying to talk you into becoming a Christian?

You have to look at the motivation. Christians believe that to get into Heaven you must accept Christ. They essentially see it as the same as giving a person with cancer the cure for cancer. It's not done out of hate, it's done in the belief that you are helping that person.

My guess is that if gay people believe that being gay prevented Alzheimers, they would probably say something bad could happen to you if you didn't commit a homosexual act. It would be done out of concern for you.

If a Christian was wanting to be cruel to you, wouldn't the cruel act be trying to keep you out of Heaven by not telling you how to get in it?
Well, historically, the religion with the most adherents has the most power to control governments and other facets of people's lives.

There's your motivation for Christian leaders to encourage everyday Christians to witness.

Now, everyday Christians just get to enjoy the fact that others are validating their beliefs when they convert.

If we could ignore the fact that the Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition really did happen, or that Christian missionaries cut down sacred trees in Norse countries to force those who believed in Norse gods to attend church so they could be close to their sacred trees...

Shall I keep going?

Christianity is a bloody religion. To pretend it isn't is to lie.

Not saying you are lying... I'm saying the Christian narrative has tried to rewrite itself.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:38 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Have you studied the history of Christianity?
I'm sorry, which century was this thread discussing? I thought we were discussing modern times.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:40 PM

Sidebar: I know a good many Muslims. I have for decades.

NONE of them have ever tried to convert me. Not a one. The only one that ever talked in depth to me about Islam without me asking was a guy who told me that he sometimes worried over people who were not Muslims, but who knew a lot about Islam, because Islam teaches that those are the people who are going to hell because they heard the word and didn't heed it.

No talk of killing people. None of it.

This has been my experience, and I doubt I'm alone in this among people who actually KNOW Muslims instead of just read scary stuff on scare sites.

I don't know any Muslim extremists. I'm certain they are indeed scary people.

But, I find Christian extremists scary, too.

Zealots, the whole lot of them. I wish we could ship them all to an island and let them fight it out, Thunderdome style, while they leave the rest of us alone.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, which century was this thread discussing? I thought we were discussing modern times.
Does it matter? The average Muslim is not going to kill people who aren't Muslims, even if the Koran did have something in there about such things. They view this as an ancient perspective, much like those ancient perspectives from the Bible and Christian history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies