Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 01:59 PM
exm

3,723 posts, read 1,783,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Maybe you should go read what I said again, because you appear to be assuming I believe things I don't so I can fit your pre-concieved mental straw man. I suppose that saves you the effort of having to actually think but it does not make for a very engaging discussion.

Just because the extremists of one religion are in general worse does not automatically make every other religion unimpeachable. And comparing regressive Christian beliefs in 3rd world African s**tholes to regressive Islamic beliefs in 3rd world Islamic s**tholes is perfectly valid.

Muslims nor Christians in general in 1st world countries are the problem, they all know that they have to ditch the more unsavory parts of their holy books in order to mesh with society - they will try to rationalize reasons why it is "ok" to do so from their religious perspective, but they know it is necessary.
This was a very good statement you made earlier: "From the outside looking in, I'd say the difference is about 200 years + an enlightenment period."

The problem with your theory in this reply is that you're still comparing the few Christians living like they're in the 18th century with a large number of bloodthirsty Muslim fanatics. There's absolutely no comparison which group causes more harm and is an immediate danger to Western societies. I'm absolutely not denying the very few Christian fanatics that are left on this planet.

But you're minimizing the problem we have with muslims by pointing to a very small group. You seem like a smart person, so I'm assuming it's PC on your part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 02:06 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,836,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
This was a very good statement you made earlier: "From the outside looking in, I'd say the difference is about 200 years + an enlightenment period."

The problem with your theory in this reply is that you're still comparing the few Christians living like they're in the 18th century with a large number of bloodthirsty Muslim fanatics. There's absolutely no comparison which group causes more harm and is an immediate danger to Western societies. I'm absolutely not denying the very few Christian fanatics that are left on this planet.

But you're minimizing the problem we have with muslims by pointing to a very small group. You seem like a smart person, so I'm assuming it's PC on your part.
I would say the problem at its root is that a faith based epistemology is a failed system that leaves those that subscribe to it ripe for exploitation and radicalization. Once you elevate faith over reason the door is open for anyone who can send the right in group "signals" to exploit and manipulate you. In this respect the problem is currently much greater on the Islamic side of things due to the previously mentioned lack of enlightenment period(which basically just amounted to abandoning a bunch of religious tenets that were failing to work out in society). On a small scale people get manipulated by the likes of Peter Popoff, on a larger more sinister scale they get manipulated by the likes of ISIS, but the mental flaw that is being manipulated in either case is the same.

tl;dr: The root mind set that allows for the POTENTIAL of radicalization is still very much present in most religions, including Christianity, and it is indeed possible to see the potential borne out especially in places that the government will not come down hard on it - like some of the near anarchic African nations. The specific beliefs are part of the problem but the mindset that is indoctrinated into people in order to make the susceptible to the beliefs in the first place is a bigger problem.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 06-27-2017 at 02:23 PM..

Old 06-28-2017, 12:41 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,067,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
There are extremist Christian fundamentalists and just Christian fundamentalists just as there are extremist Islamic fundamentalists and just Islamic fundamentalists. The extremist groups are likely to be the ones bombing and shooting up abortion clinics and blowing themselves up at rock concerts or subways. They are both terrorists as are the home-grown right-wing neo Nazi and white supremacist militia/KKK perpetrators. Christian terrorists tend not to blow themselves up. That might be the only difference.
Defending Islamic terrorism
Defenders use the argument of Christian extremists as well as Christian fundamentalists
They want to say that the Christian religion is also an extremist religion and has followers of extremism
To know the truth, we must know the meaning of extremism
Extremism is the use of intellectual texts and not accepting any interpretation that contradicts them
Religious extremism is the application of religious texts as they are and can not be changed or changed
Therefore religious extremism must be based on religious texts
Christian texts are known and can not be ignored and can not be changed
If a man is an extreme Christian, that means that he believes in all the Christian texts
These texts do not call for terrorism and do not call for murder
So the extreme Christian is a peaceful man and a man who rejects hatred
But it is the average non-ultra-Orthodox Christian who does not obey all Christian texts and picks out what he wants
That is, he is a Christian, but he will not keep every coming
This is an important fact that many people do not notice
The Christian extremist fights in defense of evil in its general sense and knows that he is distancing himself from Christian texts, but accepts it in order to protect his society from evil
That's right
While on the other side is Islamic
We note that the Muslim extremist relies on the texts of Islam in extremism, calling for killing and terrorism and also calls for hatred
So the Muslim extremist is the true Muslim because he applies Islam to Islam without distorting or interpreting it
So the Muslim extremist is the true image of Islam
While the non-extremist Muslim is a Muslim who does not apply all the teachings of the Koran and for various reasons
Including Altaqaiip
The average Muslim then believes in all the texts of the Qur'an but does not apply them all
It can move and become an extreme first class if circumstances help it
The reason is that the Koranic texts help him to move from the stage of the average Muslim to the radical Muslim stage
There is a saying from one of my friends
I told him what you think of Syria and its events
He told me that within every Muslim there is a small fan
It can grow rapidly if it has growth and emergence conditions
He was referring to the terrorist teachings in Islam, which are the most important foundations of education for Muslims
Because I was also in an Islamic and Arab country with a culture and history
I managed to live with them too
But I knew the difference between a fanatical Muslim and a radical through the degree of religiosity
When a Muslim is far from his religion, he is a normal and good man and you can deal with him
But this changes if he returns to his faith, it changes and becomes dangerous
The reason for the change is the terrorist texts and texts of hatred in the Koran
There is clear evidence in Iraq
Christians were able to live and contribute to the building of the Iraqi state after the First World War and because of the influence of the West in the laws of Iraq, the Christians were living a normal life and despite the Islamic society did not apply all the laws but they were good and lead to coexistence
But after the collapse of the Iraqi state and the fall of its last symbols, Saddam Hussein, religious currents emerged
Even within the Iraqi state after the entry of Americans
Although Iraqis said the US military was an army of liberation
But after a while the picture changed and the US military became an occupation army
And with the emergence of Islamists strongly from the schools of Shiite and Sunni
Its first victims were Iraqi Christians and Yezidis as well
The conflict then moved to the two schools and that is what is happening now
So the essence of extremism is Islam, not Christianity
The Christian extremist is a man who believes in tolerance and while the Muslim is an extremist in his origins and becomes extraordinarily extreme
This is the result of experiment and lesson as well

Old 06-28-2017, 07:16 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
The "Religious Right", by which I assume you mean Christians have a major difference with Muslim fundamentalists. Let me try to explain it to you.

If you're not a Christian, a practicing Christian fundamentalist, following the teachings of Jesus, will pray for you.

If you're not a Muslim, a practicing Muslim fundamentalist, following the instructions of Mohammad, will cut your head off.

Glad to help.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:20 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
As far as I am concerned they are one and the same. They just call their God something different. Posters on this forum are always screaming about how Muslims want to impose Sharia law on us, but what about all the Talibangelicals who are always trying to impose their fundamentalist brand of Christianity on us? Posters are always babbling about how the Koran says this or that ... but what about the Christian fundamentalists like Ted Cruz who think that the Bible should dictate government policy?

Goldwater was right. The American Right has been hijacked by Christian fundamentalists.

The King James Bible does not have over 100 verses that demand we kill all that do not believe and those that have betrayed, Christ.

That is the difference.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:40 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Death penalty for gays? Oh wait, you'll probably dig up an obscure African nation. How about how gays or women or treated all over the Middle East?

So you seriously don't think fanatic muslims are a much bigger problem than fanatic Christians?

Let me ask you another way: have you followed with is happening in Europe almost every week? Does Manchester ring a bell where a muslim blew-up a bunch of teenage and younger children for the sake of religion?

But suuuureee... They're both a problem. Let's be PC.

Christians are like the harmless nerdy kids everybody likes to pick on at school.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:47 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:
Death penalty for gays? Oh wait, you'll probably dig up an obscure African nation. How about how gays or women or treated all over the Middle East?
How about Russia? You know, that country that you guys worship these days and that is running our country. They hate gays, and gays are being tortured and murdered there in large number. Oh, and Russia is primarily Orthodox Christian.

Quote:
So you seriously don't think fanatic muslims are a much bigger problem than fanatic Christians?
Oh I think fanatic muslims are currently worse worldwide, but in this country, facts prove right wing extremists and Christian fundamentalists cause more damage.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:34 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The "Religious Right", by which I assume you mean Christians have a major difference with Muslim fundamentalists. Let me try to explain it to you.

If you're not a Christian, a practicing Christian fundamentalist, following the teachings of Jesus, will pass a law to force you to follow their version of the teachings of Jesus and/or allow discrimination against those who don't.

If you're not a Muslim, a practicing Muslim fundamentalist, following the instructions of Mohammad, will cut your head off.

Glad to help.
Fixed it for you.

Last edited by bawac34618; 06-28-2017 at 08:45 AM..

Old 06-28-2017, 09:33 AM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yeah, have you seen videos are Islamic-Jihadists slaughtering whole villages of people????
Muslim Fulani Herdsmen Slaughter Dozens of Christians in Nigerian Village

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2016/11/n...s-murdering-45

JUST CAME IN Muslims Invade Village, Slaughter The People And Burn Down Their Churches, Villagers Stay Their Ground And Fight Them Off | Walid Shoebat (That one didn't go quite as planned for the terrorists, though.)

https://myislam.dk/articles/en/trifk...east-timor.php

40,000 Iraqis stranded on Sinjar mountain after Islamic State death threats - Telegraph

ISIS slaughtering Yazidis trapped on Mount Sinjar who refuse to convert to Islam, Iraq says | National Post

Are you just looking for big numbers?

Muslims Create Full Scale Massacre And Slaughter Seven Hundred People | Walid Shoebat

Ratko Mladic, killing 3,500 Christians near Srebrenica & Islamic Jihad: Bosnia & Western Hypocrisy! - Articles | Orthodoxy Cognate PAGE

Next question.

Here's a list of attacks loser snackbars have made towards Christians:

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/7...tian-slaughter

A Muslim only town in NY founded by a terrorist:

Quiet Muslim-Only Town in N.Y. Founded by Alleged Terrorist | Fox News

By the way, here's the real history of the Crusades, not that bologna sandwich that some of you are indoctrinated in your institutions of "higher learning" to believe. Every time someone tries to use "muh Crusades" as an excuse for protecting radical Islamic terrorists, I laugh at how stupid they are. The Crusades happened because the Muslims did what they are doing today: Invading countries.

The Crusades: Urban Legends and Truth : Strange Notions

You all better learn from history.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:42 AM
exm

3,723 posts, read 1,783,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
How about Russia? You know, that country that you guys worship these days and that is running our country. They hate gays, and gays are being tortured and murdered there in large number. Oh, and Russia is primarily Orthodox Christian.

Oh I think fanatic muslims are currently worse worldwide, but in this country, facts prove right wing extremists and Christian fundamentalists cause more damage.
What makes you think us "guys" worship Russia? It seems to me that the tightening of sanctions, bombing Syria and shooting down a Syrian jet proves otherwise. But keep on living in your Russia collusion bubble.

As far as damage to this country: 9/11 might proof you wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies