Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 01:35 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
One thing I do agree with is I would NEVER, never, never, never, ever, EVER have an alarm directly wired to auto call/have someone else call the police. Take any situation and add cops to it and 95% of the time it is going to do nothing but cause a pain in the ass at the very least and at the worst, well - those worst case civilian + police interaction examples are numerous and should be very clear by this point.
They usually don't automatically call the police unless it's at a bank or business with high security. Most residential security system monitoring centers call the home when the alarm goes off. If someone provides the password over the phone, they disregard the alarm. If the phone isn't picked up, the monitoring center will call the police. In some areas, it can take a long time for the cops to show up.

It's a complete waste of money. You're better off getting a non-monitored security system that's just really loud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 04:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Look up stats on workplace dog bites. They happen quite frequently to service personnel. We just don't freak out and rant over it on the internet because media doesn't dredge it in flour, fry it up, and serve it to hungry newshounds like cop-involved stories.

http://incident-prevention.com/ip-ar...vention-safety
A USPS driver is going to encounter more dogs than I would have but on the other hand they weren't going into people's homes either. Once I made a delivery and these people were usually home, they weren't there. Couldn't find the light switch but didn't really didn't need so I did my thing. My eyes had adjusted to the light and there was some from window, I turn around and I was eyeball to eyeball with this great dane, talk about having a heart attack.

There was another house with a springer spaniel dog and every time he'd be sitting outside the truck door with a rock at his feet, he wanted you to throw it into the woods. I'd throw that rock as hard as I could and that dog would spend 15 minutes trying to find it, he'd find it though.

I always carried dog treats, I'd throw one out the window if I was concerned. If the dog took it I was good to go, If the dog ignored it I was staying in the truck. I never got bit.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:38 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
It's amazing how the Dominos guy, Jimmy Johns guy, electric meter reader, gas meter reader, and USPS mail carrier can interact with dogs without needing to shoot, but the minute a cop sees a poodle, they feel the need to empty a magazine.
Quote:
Look up stats on workplace dog bites. They happen quite frequently to service personnel. We just don't freak out and rant over it on the internet because media doesn't dredge it in flour, fry it up, and serve it to hungry newshounds like cop-involved stories.

Occupational Dog Bite Prevention & Safety - Incident Prevention Utility Safety Articles
Wow:

Quote:
• On average, 10 letter carriers suffer from dog-related injuries every delivery day.
I guess Lepoisson has never delivered mail for a living.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:55 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Yea but they are operating on South Park logic.

Just more proof of what I said earlier about how adding cops to nearly any situation just makes it worse. If there is not a person actively shooting or holding a gun to your head, it is just going to add more pain in the ass, and if there IS an active shooter or a person with a gun to your head - it is going to take em at least 5 minutes minimum to get there and a whole lot can happen inside 5 minutes. Cops are primarily punitive rather than preventative.

They are most definitely punitive and very rarely preventative. They are also one of the biggest revenue streams through ticketing and arrests. In LA county alone there are more than 1M outstanding warrants.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:01 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
They are most definitely punitive and very rarely preventative. They are also one of the biggest revenue streams through ticketing and arrests. In LA county alone there are more than 1M outstanding warrants.
You know how you can get back at them punitive, greedy, dog-killing turds, though?

Stay off their radar. It's highly effective for an overwhelming percentage of the population.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:32 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
You know how you can get back at them punitive, greedy, dog-killing turds, though?

Stay off their radar. It's highly effective for an overwhelming percentage of the population.
You don't have to be guilty to be harassed by the cops. Happens all the time. Has happened to me and I am white and 69 and walk with a cane. I can not imagine how often a black person gets harassed. Last time I was harassed I was simply out for a walk. He would not even talk to me until he had backup, because of my weapon, my cane.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
You don't have to be guilty to be harassed by the cops. Happens all the time. Has happened to me and I am white and 69 and walk with a cane. I can not imagine how often a black person gets harassed. Last time I was harassed I was simply out for a walk.
I know that. I also know that those events are mightily more rare than the wobbler "dindu nuffin" cases that get splashed across the media and result in marching and violence on behalf of some little sh*tbird with a ton of priors who contributed to his own misery. Maybe if people saved their ire for these true cases of harassment rather than go off half-cocked over every single wobbler case then the actual problem might get the attention it deserves.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:50 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,265,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
re-read #25
They are not considered vicious until after they bite some one. Ain't you ever heard a dog owner say, He won't bite, he just wants to lick/smell you?

Old 07-12-2017, 05:58 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:

Brilliant! How exactly was this woman and her dogs on the cops "radar"?

People in a free country should not need to hide from cops. It's "To Protect and Serve" not seek and victimize.

People selling organic food, growing victory gardens, watering their lawns, walking the damn sidewalk should not have guns stuck in their faces for it. When a water hose or cell phone is an acceptable defense for believing it was a justified shooting... we are all in trouble.

The video game mentality of the latest generation of cops, and then militarizing them is certainly a causation for the surge in shootings like these.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Brilliant! How exactly was this woman and her dogs on the cops "radar"?
I was responding to your generalized rant about the police being punitive revenue earners. Now you're swinging back to the woman in your OP. I'm kinda having a hard time keeping up with you here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies