Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2017, 11:33 AM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Do you let your dogs poop and pee in the house? Most people let their dogs out into the yard to do their business, or take their dogs for a walk for that purpose.

It's kind of silly to say (as some people have) that 'service' dogs should be in the house, and if they are outside they are not 'service' dogs.
We walk our dogs. Dog gain a lot more by "roaming" for a while each day with the leader than by running loose in the yard.

In this case, these dogs were outside for the night. You don't do that to a true service dog. A service dog needs to be with the person it serves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 11:58 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It does make the news.

From a few years ago:

Why are police shooting so many family dogs?

More recently:

https://www.thenation.com/article/po...dogs-each-day/

Reality is, when police are so often acquitted for killing people unnecessarily, what chance do pets stand under this militarized atmosphere?

Ah, none.
Please show me in either of those were thousands of dogs are shot by police each day.

I've read through them twice and can't find that.

Are you sure they say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
It's amazing how the Dominos guy, Jimmy Johns guy, electric meter reader, gas meter reader, and USPS mail carrier can interact with dogs without needing to shoot, but the minute a cop sees a poodle, they feel the need to empty a magazine.
Hmmmm....

Is this UPS driver lying?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ciaRsQ5EoBw

Old 07-12-2017, 11:59 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Years ago, I had a border collie that was perfectly aware of when he'd been good and when he'd been bad. Whenever I had to chew him out about anything, I generally ordered him to his crate. He got to the point that as soon as he saw the look on my face, he'd just go straight to the crate...to cut off being chewed out.

If I came home and found him waiting for me at the door, he'd been good and he knew it. If I came home and he was nowhere to be found...I knew he'd probably been in the kitchen trash.

So I'd find him already in the crate. Once I started to chew him out anyway...he actually reached out with a paw, caught the crate door, and pulled it closed. That's a Border Collie for you.
LOL My labs do the same thing. IF I come home and they greet me, they were good. If I come home and they are in the crate, they found something to do that I won't like.
People love their dogs. I don't blame them, but love isn't enough. Dogs like children need discipline and structure. I refuse to visit friends homes where they treat the dog as if it is human. Without exception their dogs are ill mannered and have 0 discipline. Yeah they taught their dog a few tricks. Big deal. No teach the dog to obey you, to not jump on people, not to bark at every sound, etc. Teach the dog manners.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:07 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
We walk our dogs. Dog gain a lot more by "roaming" for a while each day with the leader than by running loose in the yard.

In this case, these dogs were outside for the night. You don't do that to a true service dog. A service dog needs to be with the person it serves.
Claiming these animals to be service dogs does seem a stretch, however that the officer jumped the fence and took the time to pick up his brass while claiming "fear for his life" is a stretch as well. The circumstances here just don't go far toward me having the opinion that he was justified in using his sidearm. Jumping a fence sight unseen into somebody's yard is just begging for trouble. The first thought in my mind would scream "dogs".

And dogs don't have the ability to differentiate between a guy with a badge or one with a crowbar. We've looked at quite a few cases like this of late, and without exception poor judgement on the part of police led to shots being fired. My question is given the current trend with LE to immediately go to lethal force is how much longer before some kid with a squirt gun who pops up from behind the AC unit is seen as an immediate , lethal threat? Hell, that's already happened a few times.

Cops are a jittery bunch. And getting worse. So.e would say that's to be expected and we just need to accept it. I have issue with that. Specific circumstances need to be more closely and critically examined and more objective methods used in investigating situations like this. Since police agencies conduct all the investigation internally, with no outside input or examination (except in very rare cases where the DA decides to indict) it leaves the department pretty much free to steer the outcome however they wish. We have seen blatant viations deemed to be "justified" and the strategy is to just duck and cover any public outcry, studiously ignore, and let things just go away. And by and large this works. There might be a little turbulence for a week or two, but then folks just hang their heads and life goes on.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:11 PM

18,025 posts, read 27,475,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
they don't hire psychos, here in the US it seems to be a prerequisite
Then why don't you go get a job with the Police Force and make it better, or would it?

Old 07-12-2017, 12:28 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
If I were a cop and a dog came at me I'm shooting it. Sorry.
So am I. This is not even a debate.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:30 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Yeah me too. Dogs don't know the cop from a bad guy. They react on instinct, especially if they are poorly trained and disciplined. I am not about to let a strange dog maul me because its owner didn't bother to put any real time into them.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:31 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
This dog did NOT come at him. It was standing and wagging its tail.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:33 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Claiming these animals to be service dogs does seem a stretch, however that the officer jumped the fence and took the time to pick up his brass while claiming "fear for his life" is a stretch as well. The circumstances here just don't go far toward me having the opinion that he was justified in using his sidearm. Jumping a fence sight unseen into somebody's yard is just begging for trouble. The first thought in my mind would scream "dogs".

And dogs don't have the ability to differentiate between a guy with a badge or one with a crowbar. We've looked at quite a few cases like this of late, and without exception poor judgement on the part of police led to shots being fired. My question is given the current trend with LE to immediately go to lethal force is how much longer before some kid with a squirt gun who pops up from behind the AC unit is seen as an immediate , lethal threat? Hell, that's already happened a few times.

Cops are a jittery bunch. And getting worse. So.e would say that's to be expected and we just need to accept it. I have issue with that. Specific circumstances need to be more closely and critically examined and more objective methods used in investigating situations like this. Since police agencies conduct all the investigation internally, with no outside input or examination (except in very rare cases where the DA decides to indict) it leaves the department pretty much free to steer the outcome however they wish. We have seen blatant viations deemed to be "justified" and the strategy is to just duck and cover any public outcry, studiously ignore, and let things just go away. And by and large this works. There might be a little turbulence for a week or two, but then folks just hang their heads and life goes on.
Well, I think you've seen my posts on threads about police shootings, and I'm highly critical of police training in nearly all these cases.

But this was a call to trouble case. The police were supposed to be expecting trouble.

Problem was, the dogs were supposed to respond to trouble, too.

So why didn't the teenagers know how to disable the alarm?

Why didn't the homeowners respond when the security company called them?

Owner failure, through and through.

I'm also a gun owner, and this would be like letting the alarm go to the police station, then prowling around the yard with my gun.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:33 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,835,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
This dog did NOT come at him. It was standing and wagging its tail.
Yea but they are operating on South Park logic.

Just more proof of what I said earlier about how adding cops to nearly any situation just makes it worse. If there is not a person actively shooting or holding a gun to your head, it is just going to add more pain in the ass, and if there IS an active shooter or a person with a gun to your head - it is going to take em at least 5 minutes minimum to get there and a whole lot can happen inside 5 minutes. Cops are primarily punitive rather than preventative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies