Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 10:29 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,809,645 times

Advertisements

My portfolio has done well, although not as well as some since I'm getting closer to retirement and college for my son and have more in bonds.

I could become a billionaire during this administration and I would still never, ever vote for trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 10:30 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,170,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
That's not true if you compare apples to apples.

Trump has had the job 6 months. So you have to compare with Obama's first 6 months. And Obama had a terrible first 6 months.

So you have to ask yourself: If Obama was so dang hot, why has Trump beat his numbers so handily?
What do you think the dates on the chart I posted are? They are both the first 6 months of each administration and they show Obama's market crushing trump's. Do the math yourself with any indexes if you doubt.

Here is a view of the first 100 days...

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/ch...210229821.html

I know you want to believe that somehow the market is doing great under trump, but if the look at the ACTUAL numbers, instead of your wishing mirror, you will see fact.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-01-2017 at 10:44 AM..

Old 08-01-2017, 10:32 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,720,243 times
My investments have done well, but I didn't vote for Trump and would never dream of voting for him should he decide to run in 2020.

I think the stock market is up at least in part because the business world is giddy thinking that Trump will reduce federal regulations on labor, consumers, and the environment. I'd give up market gains to protect those interests.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:46 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
What do you think the dates on the chart I posted are? They are both the first 6 months of each administration and they show Obama's market crushing trump's. Do the math yourself with any indexes if you doubt.

Here is a view of the first 100 days...

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/ch...210229821.html

I know you want to believe that somehow the market is doing great under trump, but if the look at the ACTUAL numbers, instead of your wishing mirror, you will see fact.
Thanks! I had forgot how quickly things turned around under Obama, maybe because there was all that noise about how the turn around was taking too long. Also of course, too bad the stock market (during these times of positive returns) does not reflect how the average American is doing when it comes to jobs, pay, net worth, opportunity and/or quality of life.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:49 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,128,823 times
I used to own some Berkshire Hathaway. Good stock if you want to diversify.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:02 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,632 times
My stocks have been doing well overall and I'm pretty pleased. Some industries are doing REALLY well, like banking, while my usual growth funds in biotech and healthcare aren't doing so well. Those trends definitely reflect the president/political climate IMO. I was surprised that, during Obama's term, my international mutual funds were doing terribly... and now they've really shot up. Wish I had bought more during that time but I'm still working on overcoming that psychological barrier.

I highly doubt I'd vote for a 2nd Trump term, but I never say never. Certainly not just on the basis of the stock market though because that's just one area of my livelihood and wellbeing.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:05 AM

57,322 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Thanks! I had forgot how quickly things turned around under Obama, maybe because there was all that noise about how the turn around was taking too long. Also of course, too bad the stock market (during these times of positive returns) does not reflect how the average American is doing when it comes to jobs, pay, net worth, opportunity and/or quality of life.
There are fewer unemployed today but with escalating home prices, stagnant middle class wages home ownership is out of reach for many. The stock market is not reflective of the entire situation.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:11 AM

716 posts, read 393,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yes. The stock market is an important barometer for how well the U.S. economy and the country in general are doing.

The DOW Jones Industrial Average is up almost 11% since January 20, 2017. In spite of all the noise you hear in the media, investors have shown a considerable amount of confidence in Trump's economic policies. As long as this performance keeps up, it's going to be a decisive factor in the 2020 election.

So yeah, keep your eyes on the stock market. It doesn't lie.
I'm retired living on small investment income. When Trump was installed, I imagined that his presidency would be chaotic, so I moved a large percentage my funds from stocks to bonds and other more stable investments.

I understand why our business community reacted positively and would be hopeful now that conservatives control all three branches of our government (thankfully not our fourth estate) and so far the stock market has reflected that confidence. So I haven't earned as much as I might have since January.

But how long will it take before investors wake up and realize that there's still gridlock in DC and no legislation is being passed? How long will it take before investors realize that authoritarian personality types don't like doing business in public and don't work well with others? How long can investors ignore his Russian investments and his, guilty as hell, behavior? How long will it take before investors realize that for all his reported deal making skill, we have a man-child in a dysfunctional WH?

As long as chaos reigns supreme in the WH, I know I made the correct decision...

Old 08-01-2017, 11:16 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
I've done well since the election, but am concerned it is all smoke and no fire. There is a great deal of speculation that Republicans will deliver stimulating tax cuts and that is what is behind the rise. I don't think that is going to happen and when the hope fades, the market should come crashing back to earth. It's difficult to time that, though. Economic indicators are rather mixed. The economy is not really doing any better than it was last year. I have been hedging myself.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:44 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,641,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yes. The stock market is an important barometer for how well the U.S. economy and the country in general are doing.

The DOW Jones Industrial Average is up almost 11% since January 20, 2017. In spite of all the noise you hear in the media, investors have shown a considerable amount of confidence in Trump's economic policies. As long as this performance keeps up, it's going to be a decisive factor in the 2020 election.

So yeah, keep your eyes on the stock market. It doesn't lie.

No offense mate but if you think the stock market does not lie, i suggest you hand your portfolio to a pro. it lies everyday, and while it reflects hopes, expectations, values etc you never know what it is reflecting at any given time.

many would say the markets which are currently on about the longest bull run in my lifetime are due a massive correction. And many would say the markets for the past few years reflect the lack of safe positive returns outside of high risk investments. The price of risk is very high today, because of the long term low interest rates that high bullied monies out of safe positive returns.
Honestly why do you think Real estate is so high? It is not because people want houses despite what the media believes, it is because investors have been buying RE for a safer positive return for about 7 years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies