Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 11:53 AM

2,953 posts, read 994,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm just curious if you do, how your stocks have been doing since Trump has been in office. I see all of these up/down numbers on TV on the business channel but I'd like to hear some individuals say how they are doing personally with their stocks and if they are doing well, whether they would vote for Trump in 2020 because of a personal reason, like that. (Not interested in you telling us your personal fortune numbers, just whether you are doing better, a lot better, about the same, not so good.)

I don't see it any differently than your personal wealth improving because your taxes went down, your insurance is cheaper, your utility bills went down or you are making more money employment-wise (getting a job, getting your hours increased, getting a bigger paycheck) and those are all reasons people use to vote for someone.

So, how are you doing with your stocks and would it make you consider Trump in 2020 if you are doing well?
Yes the market has been good for me. It's been like falling off a log. It hasn't even required an aggressive highly managed approach. If somebody had just blindly put 33% in bonds, 33% in an S&P500 index fund and the rest split up between some large caps and small caps and then forgotten about the whole thing they would be earning 10%-15% ... and that's a conservative portfolio.

Of course a continued bull market in 2020 would be a factor in favor of voting for Trump. The market loves a pro-business president who commits to deregulation and lowering taxes. Things no Democrat is ever going to make part of their platform so why in God's name would I want to vote for somebody who's going to hurt me financially?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 12:10 PM

57,322 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
I'm speaking of you, personally. Do you make a voting decision based on how well YOU do? And in this case, I'm only talking to stockholders.
No I don't, I consider many things outside of just income.

I don't think that the progress in the market before 2006 and after 2009 changed anyone's mind regarding Bush or Obama. The Dow could hit 30,000 and there are people that would still not vote for either of them. The market can be a sign of confidence or irrational speculation.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:17 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,641,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Yes the market has been good for me. It's been like falling off a log. It hasn't even required an aggressive highly managed approach. If somebody had just blindly put 33% in bonds, 33% in an S&P500 index fund and the rest split up between some large caps and small caps and then forgotten about the whole thing they would be earning 10%-15% ... and that's a conservative portfolio.

Of course a continued bull market in 2020 would be a factor in favor of voting for Trump. The market loves a pro-business president who commits to deregulation and lowering taxes. Things no Democrat is ever going to make part of their platform so why in God's name would I want to vote for somebody who's going to hurt me financially?
the bit here where you say no dem would make as part of their platform seems rather odd.

Obama is the man who saved the markets that were imploding due to a conservative. this bull market is the result of Obama's policies not conservative policies. In fact the GOP fought Obama tooth and nail and insisted on a policy of Austerity which Obama refused. the EU tried "austerity " and it was a massive failure with the EU switching over to Obama's cheap money and spend money policy that worked so well to reflate all markets.

will this all end in a mighty implosion the likes of which we have never seen? who knows, but one thing we do know. Trump has done nothing at all outside of improving sentiment. If trump can delivery on some on his tax cuts and pro corp promises we may well see this run a few more years. but if he cannot we may well see a sudden drop. I dont claim to know which way this will go, but i do suggest folk keep some cash on hand to either ride it out or buy when the blood runs free.

remember all that money made "falling off a log " is 100% due to a democrat NOT Trump or any R. 7 years of growth, and lucky enough Trump has not screwed it up. But neither has he done anything special to improve our economy or the economy of others.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:25 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
I was planning on investing in some stocks last year, but my long-time buddy who's a stock broker advised me to hold off until this year.

I called him at the end of June, and he advised me to wait some more. He didn't say how long, or go into detail, but he knows I don't want to actively manage a portfolio; I just want some reasonable and secure long and medium term returns.

This guy manages a large investment brokerage, has been the manager for 20 years and in investment counseling for 35 now. If he feels things are shaky enough to dissuade me from investing just now, then things are shaky. At least in the long-term securities market.

Investment always goes to where the money is moving. Stocks have been the only area in the economy where money has moved around for almost 10 years now; the municipal bond market is stagnant, returning very low returns, the CD market is the same, and so are short-term small local offerings.

Everyone is living with low loan rates and low returns for their investors. The returns are enough to keep banks, credit unions, and other institutions profitable, but there isn't much left over after their cut is taken out.

But these low loan rates are artificial, created at a time when the stock market collapsed and money needed to circulate fast. Things have settled down since then, so the low loans won't continue to be so low for much longer. The prime rate has already crept upward 3 times, a tiny increase at a time.

Municipal bonds will always be offered for as long as a city has needs to fill. Once the returns go back up to make them a better deal than they are now, the stock market will drop. When one goes up, the other comes down. Municipals are always some of the safest investments, because cities and counties so seldom go bankrupt.

The commodity market is always an adventure. Stocks that offer the largest returns are always the most risky.

And that's about all I know.
The other thing I know is my lifelong friend is a very trustworthy person who has his finger in the wind, has a keen sense of investment, and has made a lot of people a lot of money. So if he says things are shaky, I'll take his word for it.

When he says jump, I'll jump. I won't listen to anyone who isn't in his occupation and lacks similar experience. Another person may be just as capable and honest, but he may lack the vision that only comes from years of accumulated expertise.

But then, I never go to a faith healer for surgery, either. That's just how I am.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:26 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,641,728 times
Quote:
Actually, the regular news cable channels have become tiresome so watching one of the business channels is why the interest now and not in the past. Like I said in a previous post, I don't see stocks any differently than lower utility bills and taxes, cheaper gas prices, getting full time hours at work, higher wages, cheaper insurance costs, etc.. People vote based on what impacts them as individuals, first, in my opinion. I don't own stocks. Just wanted to know if those that do would vote for Trump in 2020 if their stocks were doing well.
Laura, i would be very careful about watching business news stations. They are great to learn a little here and there, but if you get caught up in the antics you will lose money.

They are almost completely entertainment. PBS has a couple of good shows, but very dry unless you are really interested.

so i am not saying don't watch , but just don't get caught up in the nonsense, it is almost all noise and active trading is for pros. Plebes like us can beat them by buying long term value and hardly trading at all.

I like to buy stocks in a fire and forget manner. If it is good enough for me to buy it is good enough to ignore for ten years. if you really want to "play" set aside maybe 5%-10% and use just that for high risk investing. still do your homework of course and no pretending i am an expert i am not, but i have been investing for 30 years or more.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:33 PM

25,585 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You have really GOT to be kidding! Apples to apples? That what you think you are doing?!?

Obama starts with an economy in free fall. Trump starts with an economy on the mend.

There's the answer to your question Listener! Are you hearing me?
No. I do not hear you. You don't make any sense.

Trying to measure 6 months of Trump against 8 years of Obama (or anyone else) is pure idiocy.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:51 PM

25,585 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
What do you think the dates on the chart I posted are? They are both the first 6 months of each administration and they show Obama's market crushing trump's. Do the math yourself with any indexes if you doubt.

Here is a view of the first 100 days...

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/ch...210229821.html

I know you want to believe that somehow the market is doing great under trump, but if the look at the ACTUAL numbers, instead of your wishing mirror, you will see fact.
The market IS doing well under Trump.
Who can deny that?
Well, I mean beside you.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:52 PM

13,660 posts, read 9,727,106 times
Quote:
...I think people have a tendency to vote a particular way when they see themselves as having more money which is why politicians should do their best to personalize the message instead of talking about things in general. Not having stocks myself, although my government savings plan is tied to the stock market, I wondered if, as an individual, you saw financial gains for yourself as a stockholder, it would sway you to vote for Trump as maybe it would for other people who saw lower utility bills, bigger tax refunds, gas costs go down, more hours for work/higher pay, cheaper insurance bills, etc..
As a stockholder, my mood and behavior are definitely influenced by progress in the market. But I'm loath to ascribe good or bad (or indifferent) progress to politicians' actions. Before the election, I was concerned that Trump victory would lead to a market-"correction". This was not the case, at least not after the first few hours after election-day. Though I was concerned, I took no action, as experience has inculcated in me the intuition, that my intuition is often wrong (?!).

If in the ensuing years, it comes to happen that there's demonstrable reason to draw connection between Trump's policies and market performance, I might vote accordingly. But I am hesitant to believe, that such connection is forthcoming.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:53 PM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I was planning on investing in some stocks last year, but my long-time buddy who's a stock broker advised me to hold off until this year.

I called him at the end of June, and he advised me to wait some more. He didn't say how long, or go into detail, but he knows I don't want to actively manage a portfolio; I just want some reasonable and secure long and medium term returns.
Some guy told you not to invest in the stock market last year, the stock market skyrockets, and you still trust his advice?

Well ... okay then.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:09 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,659,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Some guy told you not to invest in the stock market last year, the stock market skyrockets, and you still trust his advice?

Well ... okay then.
I can understand why. Usually when there is a new president their is a drop or a correction. That being said, I would be furious at this friend and wouldn't trust his advice anymore than the next man. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies