Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 02:16 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It's a grade school playground argument.
I should not have played.
Fair enough! Personally I think some sectors' performance can be ascribed to a particular administration (including but not isolated to president) but more important are independent market forces like supply and demand. My SO's company stock surged this year because a competitor exited the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 02:18 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,235,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is a little problematic when you've been President for 7 years and the stock market takes a huge nosedive of 50% and the economy goes into recession just when you're about to leave.

You've got to own it. People are going to be right to think that the President could have enacted policies to prevent this from happening and becoming as bad as it did. Whatever his policies were during all those years certainly didn't help.
His economic "policy" was to give back the Clinton surplus with tax cuts in 2001 and plunge us into debt.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:20 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,235,426 times
Quote:
It's a grade school playground argument.
I should not have played.
A dog would have performed better in Obama's first 6 months.
He had a huge mess to try and get out from under.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:25 PM

1,229 posts, read 859,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
So you're saying it'll dip again? Maybe this time I'll finally get it together to buy, for the next jump!
Watch the dollar index. It's been in an almost vertical decline over the last several months, falling through support multiple times.

I don't know the exact time or date......but a bounce is both immenent and coming soon. When it bounces and the Euro corrects, your fund may correct with it.

The bounce may last 4 to 8 weeks....and then the dollar will turn down again and head into the mid to high 80's. Your Euro weighted fund will probably turn back up at that point.

Just an opinion - but remember this thread in a couple of months

Old 08-01-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Sometimes it is all a matter of luck and market sectors. I remember back during the dotcom bubble when Buffet didn't make much money........ there's a lesson there, for those who stuck around.

I hold stocks for many months or years and this year things are going well. But it could have gone the other way, just as easily.

I'm holding CBMX and BEAT.
They are up 150% and 50%. Did Trump or Obama have anything to do with that? No.
Luck definitely plays into it - but patience, research and intution should not be underated.

I have multiple core value-oriteined positions in PM mining and Energy.

And I also have short-term trading positions

The big money is almost always made with long term hold top/bottom stategies.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:53 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
But how long will it take before investors wake up and realize that there's still gridlock in DC and no legislation is being passed? How long will it take before investors realize that authoritarian personality types don't like doing business in public and don't work well with others? How long can investors ignore his Russian investments and his, guilty as hell, behavior? How long will it take before investors realize that for all his reported deal making skill, we have a man-child in a dysfunctional WH?

As long as chaos reigns supreme in the WH, I know I made the correct decision...
A lot of legislation is being passed. What are you watching, CNN? MSNBC? The "fake news" media?

It's a fact, they have ignored all the positive news, so obsessed are they with "Russia" and "collusion."

Old 08-01-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
My stake of NEM, a crypto currency, went up something like 50 fold from the beginning of January to my average selling price.. it was trading at a market cap of $33 million at the beginning of January and I sold most of it at an average market cap of $1.7 Billion, netting a profit of some $350,000. Very bleeping lucky.

I still plan to reinvest in the crypto currency space when the dust settles and the market caps go lower. I have accounts with Gemini, Coinbase/GDAX, Bittrex, and Poloniex, all with capped out deposit/withdraw limits. Bittrex and Gemini in particular have nice, high daily transfer limits so I can move in and out with ease. Also Yobit.
Never held a single crypto position - but it's an absolutely solid bet that as soon they are able to demystify for the average Joe on how to easily purchase them -- a short term mania may ensue and early bagholders will become very wealthy overnight.

Improving transaction processing speed for puposes of liquidity will also make them more attractive - and I know they are working on that.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:09 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,600,924 times
Great topic by Laura C (sticky?). My positions went up a geat deal under Obama but that's more likely due to the rebound after the great recession. The "Trump Bump" has also treated my positions well. I think banking will do better under Trump so those are good areas for investment right now, along with defence contractors. My personal goal is to see green on all my holdings at the end of each day regardless of what the market does overall. Of course, this goal does not apply to my SPY ETF, which is a good one to hold.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:38 PM

2,953 posts, read 994,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
A pro-business candidate who is flagrantly anti-environment, congratulations, you just want more money and damn the consequences. Sorry, but I can't respect anyone with values like that. Donny the Disaster is ideal for voters like you.

There's more to life than money Wee Boy, including the health of your kids and grandkids. In a deregulated Texas, let's see how you act when chemical levels hit your neighborhood and effect your family. Texas is already one of the very worst states for chemical emissions. I know I know, you don't care, just what's good for your wallet.
Man up. You're practically weeping as you dispense your platitudes. This is an embarrassing post.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:05 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
100% invested in stocks TRowe Price Midcap Growth and Dividend Growth funds make up 60% of my investments. They are both overweighted with tech, financial and health funds. They have both done quite well since 2008, significantly better than an S&P 500 index fund.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies