Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 10:00 AM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Just realize that your personal opinion has absolutely zero correlation to the facts.
What facts are you talking about? All the third party candidates combined got merely 5.7% of votes in the November 8 election.

How much of a wasted vote do you want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 10:02 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
No offense mate but if you think the stock market does not lie, i suggest you hand your portfolio to a pro. it lies everyday, and while it reflects hopes, expectations, values etc you never know what it is reflecting at any given time.

many would say the markets which are currently on about the longest bull run in my lifetime are due a massive correction. And many would say the markets for the past few years reflect the lack of safe positive returns outside of high risk investments. The price of risk is very high today, because of the long term low interest rates that high bullied monies out of safe positive returns.
Honestly why do you think Real estate is so high? It is not because people want houses despite what the media believes, it is because investors have been buying RE for a safer positive return for about 7 years now.
Wise words...

Also keep in mind that the U.S. is considered something of a "safe haven" for investment compared to many other countries, even the more advanced ones where all sorts of problems and issues make the movement of capital to the U.S. a good option. Dollar is very weak against the Euro right now too...

Accordingly, money bags from China, Japan, India -- from all over the world -- invest in real estate and businesses here, for all variety of reasons beyond just finance. Coupled with domestic money bags chasing the same space, from Silicon Valley and the likes, real estate prices tend to move upward, because real estate is a limited commodity. Get close to the water and all the more limited.

This is a dynamic of the "haves" buying up what the "have nots" can't even consider, and more and more in keeping with the gap between rich and poor, owning real estate is becoming an option for the rich while the rest of Americans get to watch that train leave the station. Apparently on the order of 57% can hardly afford an emergency expense of $500...

A $500 surprise expense would put most Americans into debt - CBS News

Old 08-02-2017, 10:03 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,983,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What facts are you talking about? All the third party candidates combined got merely 5.7% of votes in the November 8 election.

How much of a wasted vote do you want?
A vote is nothing more than your chance to voice your opinion on who you think is the best to lead of the given choices. Its not a game of pick the winner, if it was, and by your logic, every single person who voted for Hillary wasted their vote, and everyone in hindsight should have just voted for Trump so they could feel like they picked the winner. Its an absurd premise, votes aren't wasted as long as you believe the candidate you picked is the best of the options given.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:07 AM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
A vote is nothing more than your chance to voice your opinion on who you think is the best to lead of the given choices. Its not a game of pick the winner, if it was, and by your logic, every single person who voted for Hillary wasted their vote, and everyone in hindsight should have just voted for Trump so they could feel like they picked the winner. Its an absurd premise, votes aren't wasted as long as you believe the candidate you picked is the best of the options given.
Trump and Hillary both had reasonable probabilities of winning going into the election. It was going to be one or the other. The rest of the candidates had close to zero probability of winning.

That's how it is in our system and why I say it's a wasted vote. They're going to lose. When is the last time a third party candidate won the Presidential election?

Old 08-02-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I was planning on investing in some stocks last year, but my long-time buddy who's a stock broker advised me to hold off until this year.

But then, I never go to a faith healer for surgery, either. That's just how I am.
Again, you cannot "time the market," unless you are a short-term investor in which case, you STILL cannot time the market!"

Old 08-02-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Trump and Hillary both had reasonable probabilities of winning going into the election. It was going to be one or the other. The rest of the candidates had close to zero probability of winning.

That's how it is in our system and why I say it's a wasted vote. They're going to lose. When is the last time a third party candidate won the Presidential election?
This is all irrelevant, their probability of winning has zero impact on how I view their policy. Its an ignorant and misguided assumption to try and convince me to vote for something that I dislike. Its a huge and serious breakdown of logic that you are trying to conflate with probability of winning...thats what Vegas and horse tracks are for, go pick a winner there.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
No. I do not hear you. You don't make any sense.

Trying to measure 6 months of Trump against 8 years of Obama (or anyone else) is pure idiocy.
Right. Seems we certainly have a hard of hearing problem here...

Such comparisons are done all the time, especially if you are a Trump supporter who wants to point at the stock market as some sort of success due to Trump. Hard to compare other than his first six months at this point. Right?

More to the point that me and others have tried to explain to you and others is that the same trend existed during Obama's first six months and all through his 8 years! So although I too am not one to give any POTUS credit for market swings one way or another, what is "pure idiocy" is giving Trump credit for the ongoing upward trend of the markets that started long before he appeared on the scene?

Not sure if you were necessarily doing that, but that's at least in part what I think the OP was getting at and a lot of others looking for any evidence Trump might be good for America. Please don't tell me you can't hear any of that either! Please have mercy...

Old 08-02-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Sorry but you are completely inaccurate, the market crashed 10% on the 2 days after the election of Obama because the nation elected Dims to run Presidency, House & Congress....it was already falling because of the policies the Dims running the House & Senate had put in place in Bush last couple of years and then accelerating the fall was the impending election of Obama which sealed the deal.
Wrong, just wrong, and so wrong I can't even imagine where to begin to help you better understand what happened then. Even harder to imagine where you get your facts and notions, but something tells me you are badly blinded by your political biases. So much so that I'm thinking only braille can help you, and only about as much as would be possible in this forum, if you catch my drift...

Old 08-02-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Just realize that your personal opinion has absolutely zero correlation to the facts.
"Zero correlation?!?" I beg to differ...

When was the last time you remember anyone from a third party getting elected?

//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...dont-vote.html

Old 08-02-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Just realize that voting for a third party candidate is an automatic wasted vote.

It is virtually impossible for a third party candidate to win the election in our system, unless there is some earth-shattering change in our politics that hasn't happened in 220 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
"Zero correlation?!?" I beg to differ...

When was the last time you remember anyone from a third party getting elected?

//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...dont-vote.html
Beg all you want, it doesn't make you right, you are off base with what you think the premise of our argument is. Its not about statistical likelihood of a 3rd party candidate getting elected, its about the absurd notion that its a "waste" of a vote to voice your opinion that is closest to what you actually believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies