Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2017, 05:16 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,641,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
Unlike what most readers on here would understand....Trump would rather have low rating early in a term.
It's pretty simple, the higher ratings are early-on, there's mostly only downhill from there.
Because when you then do things, plenty will be unhappy and your ratings slide.
I'd much rather have lower ratings in a first year.

Wait...didn't we learn a lot about the accuracy of polls last year, anyhow?
wow that is a stretch dude, but kudos to you for the amazing display of cognitive dissonance. Unparalleled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 05:23 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,969,227 times
You are right about psychological. But it doesn't just apply to investors. People are hopeful after 8 years of feeling hated by the President and Dem reps. It's about creating an atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The stock market responds well when the Price Per Barrel of oil is relatively low, there is no threat of supply disruptions from Middle East Conflict, the Fed keeping interest rates low (which they still are historically), companies are downsizing (reducing labor cost), etc, etc.

The Presidency has very little control over the economy....other than psychological. I think psychologically investors are more confident that Trump will favor business and the interest of the wealthy (including stock holders). Thus, I do believe that the market gets a slight boost from Trump being a businessman more so than a politician. That having been said, the stock market is a p-i-s-s poor indicator of the general health of an economy. It can be at its peak....right before the economy crashes.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:30 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It means that most people rightly see market growth as independent of the President's direct actions, which is what you'd expect in a capitalistic marketplace. Only conservatives are now trying to throw a Trump ticket tape parade when the Down goes up.
Trump's biggest prblem will be when those BIG Buck Wall street guys decide to do a hair CUT.. and Stocks go lower... Will His mind midget's believe their King is responsible.. ( OF COURSE NOT) and of course will blame Liberals or anybody that suits his particular blame platform for those loses!!

It's always been known that Leader of any Country in the past ( not so with Trump) always steered clear of taking credit ... However, Citizens always blame whomever is POTUS for however the Markets behave! Then of course regular folks never benefit from those markets.. Only those who INVEST into them!!

It will always come down to how THEY ( Citizens feel secure and benefited) feel when they never see 1 benefit from Capitalists ( Elite 1-3%) successes!! It all goes back to why regular people HOW Profit and huge bonuses for manipulators/lobbyists who game the Politicians to make laws that allow them to PROFIT and Everyday people PAY thru their collective noses!!

Inevidable~~ What does up will come down.. Just wait for the big fall and watch Trump point ( deflection) outward!! He has never taken responsibility and at age 71.. anyone expects him too??? Kool-Aide stock must have been upgraded in the past few years, eh?

Old 08-05-2017, 05:46 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That's correct. It means that the "ratings" are meaningless. They're being driven by the news media which have been pushing the Russian hoax narrative since last year.

The stock market is the unfiltered "truth" that the fake ratings have no effect on. It is turning on the light switch.
Sure still seems awfully dim where you must be...

Not sure Trump Jr. meeting with the Russians to undermine Trump's political opponents was/is a "hoax," but if you say that's all just media hype and we should all be okay with that, then I guess so!

Reminds me a bit of another "witch hunt" and this description that I thought was about Trump until I reminded myself who the article was about...

"... he was bombastic, defiant, politically incorrect, indifferent to social norms -- and, according to prosecutors, the truth -- while his expert use of social media attracted a legion of followers."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ring-into-jail

Old 08-05-2017, 06:09 AM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times
That the media conducted polls, and other polls are corrupt? Just like all of them said Hillary would win by a landslide?

Old 08-05-2017, 06:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
I figure the market makers will eventually decide that this market has boomed far enough and take their profits and run. It will take the rest of the speculators a day or so to realize what is happening and run away as well. The latecomers will dump their stocks too late to realize their gains before everyone else sells out. The rest will start selling at any price in a week or so. They will loose a lot as the market restabilizes somewhere around 10 to 13 thousand. That should take about two months from the initial sell off by the market makers. I think this loss of market value in the US will also take the rest of the large world markets with it.

I am waiting to see what the investor class as well as the Trumpeters respond.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:39 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,678,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I know these are just two simple metrics in a much larger picture, but it is a curiosity.

So many people want to connect Trump to the current state of the Dow. I personally do not, or should I say a very low %. This is still Obama's economy and I believe the Dow is still feeding off of the table Obama had set for 8 years. I'm not saying that Trump being POTUS has interjected some hope in people to invest in the market as Trump is about infrastructure and jobs and America, and as such investors may want to get in now.

So is the political climate driving the Dow, the economy itself, or what blend of both? I find it interesting. Trumps ratings continue to slide, yet thus far that isn't putting any scare into the market.

What it means is that people see what an idiot trump is and people realise Obama did well with Wall Street and the economy.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:40 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,678,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
That the media conducted polls, and other polls are corrupt? Just like all of them said Hillary would win by a landslide?
Well she did in the popular vote so the polls that said more people would vote for Hillary than trump were right.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:44 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I figure the market makers will eventually decide that this market has boomed far enough and take their profits and run. It will take the rest of the speculators a day or so to realize what is happening and run away as well. The latecomers will dump their stocks too late to realize their gains before everyone else sells out. The rest will start selling at any price in a week or so. They will loose a lot as the market restabilizes somewhere around 10 to 13 thousand. That should take about two months from the initial sell off by the market makers. I think this loss of market value in the US will also take the rest of the large world markets with it.

I am waiting to see what the investor class as well as the Trumpeters respond.
You may be on to something here.

But there are several reasons why stocks are on the uptick.

It could be another scam of passing around McGuffins (such as bundled mortgages or strip malls or ?? ) at ever inflated prices until the house of cards collapses.

Or team Mueller going over financial records with a fine tooth comb is causing some to quietly move their moolah.

Hiring appears to be slowing down month by month and seems to be little going on in the nation to warrant this stock market uptick.

To say that it is expressing confidence in Trump is ridiculous. These are sharp people. They are doing something, but it isn't expressing confidence in Trump.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:06 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Talking Trumps ratings at historical lows while Dow Jones at all-time high - what does this mean?

The meaning is crystal clear:

When the economy dips a little bit, tRump and the GOP will be...

... fill in the blank.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies