Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 10:56 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
How you or I value our votes is also of little relevance. This is not a personal matter. I know full well you will do exactly as you wish for the reasons you choose. I am in no way forcing anything on anyone. I am simply providing what I think is the sound reason and logic to think about what actually occurs when you choose to vote for other than a candidate with a viable chance of winning.
Usually in about 40 of the 50 states only one candidate has a viable chance of winning. Are you saying everyone in California should have voted for Hillary and everyone in North Dakota Trump?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 08:34 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Usually in about 40 of the 50 states only one candidate has a viable chance of winning. Are you saying everyone in California should have voted for Hillary and everyone in North Dakota Trump?
No. I hate to think such a conclusion can come from what I am explaining, and I am very hard pressed to understand how that can happen, but maybe I can do better...

In every state, for every voter, there is a viable chance for either a Democrat or a Republican candidate to become POTUS, at least as evidenced by our electoral system for a long time now.

For the most part this stark often sad choice ultimately becomes our only choice -- realistically speaking -- all the way up until it is down to the two candidates who have a viable chance at becoming POTUS (or pick your race). Even if you are in a heavy red or blue state, the choice boils down to which of the two viable candidates you prefer, vote for.

If instead, in any state, you decide to cast a "protest vote," by voting for someone who has no such chance or by voting for no one, or by voting for Micky Mouse, you are essentially abdicating the selection of who will win to others, basically side-lining yourself. Or again, if anyone can point at a time when any such protest vote amounted to anything other than making protest voters FEEL better about themselves and little else of practical tangible nature, I'd like to know when that happened.

Me personally, I'd rather have my oar in the water toward one of the two choices that will clearly lead the country for the next four years rather than be paddling toward no end whatsoever. That said, I understand why people do whatever they might with their vote, and this is their right. Much like putting one's head in the sand is well within everyone's right...

Old 08-04-2017, 04:04 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,298,736 times
I guess that the Department of Labor must have stoped lying about unemployment rates too.

All of a sudden, they believe government stats.

Wonder why?

Old 08-04-2017, 04:11 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,374,928 times
You know liberals are still butthurt about losing over and over and over when they have to make up threads like this. You spent 8 years giving Obama credit for things he had nothing to do with now you whine like a spoiled brat when someone gives Trump credit for the current stock market. Hypocrites.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:12 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
You know liberals are still butthurt about losing over and over and over when they have to make up threads like this. You spent 8 years giving Obama credit for things he had nothing to do with now you whine like a spoiled brat when someone gives Trump credit for the current stock market. Hypocrites.
This.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:21 PM

736 posts, read 353,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Yes, I'm dealing with your hypocrisy by exposing it.

I can point 6-digit employment gains under Obama that people like you said didn't count.

And didn't you guys say the unemployment rate is way higher? So how can it be good now?

And what happened to 6% GDP growth that Trump crowed about and promised? Call me then. Then I'll be impressed.

And how are you going to get debt down by exploding military spending, creating ineffective grand walls, and slashing taxes?

Trump is my President, but I didn't vote for him and I'm convinced he's a retard whose main competence is tweeting dumb ****.
Obama was handed an economy in the toilet, which is why Obama managed such employment gains, but the unemployment rate was much higher.

Jan
2007 4.6
2008 5.0
2009 7.8
2010 9.8
2011 9.1
2012 8.3
2013 8.0
2014 6.6
2015 5.7
2016 4.9

At one point, unemployment was 9.8 under Obama and that is not counting u5 and u6 charts or tables. A high unemployment rate meant higher job growth, but Obama didn't make it to pre-great recession unemployment rates.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:26 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,298,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Great. We are all watching our 401Ks go up daily.

But we can't drink the water or breath the air.
Who needs clean water or air?

WE HAVE COAL!!!!

Dig baby dig!

(Cough, cough, pass me my oxygen tank.)

Old 08-04-2017, 04:27 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
It means that most people rightly see market growth as independent of the President's direct actions, which is what you'd expect in a capitalistic marketplace. Only conservatives are now trying to throw a Trump ticket tape parade when the Down goes up.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:29 PM

10,782 posts, read 4,353,901 times
The more the media focuses on Russia, the less interested Trump supporters are in the news.
So if a pollster walks up to them, no chance of them giving the pollster an answer.
If the election was held again today, Trump would win again.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:31 PM

27,581 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Trumps ratings continue to slide, yet thus far that isn't putting any scare into the market.
That's correct. It means that the "ratings" are meaningless. They're being driven by the news media which have been pushing the Russian hoax narrative since last year.

The stock market is the unfiltered "truth" that the fake ratings have no effect on. It is turning on the light switch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies