Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 11:55 AM

26,562 posts, read 14,436,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
yep, but they are planning to use your scouting kids to do so
no, they are holding trump accountable for his actions in front of "your scouting kids".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 11:59 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
[/b]

PLEASE, don't let this happen! This is heartbreaking. I am on the verge of tears right now myself.

What I think should happen:

The EAGLE Scouts in the Administration need to step up. Tillerson, Perry, all of them. THEY need to fix this along with the BSA.

Something we know won't happen: 45 needs to admit the inappropriateness of his words. He needs to apologize to the BSA, all scouts and to the entire NATION. Oh, God! I'm so sick of this creature.
Tillerson is on holiday. Perry doesn't know which end is up. I don't see them fixing this mess.

Trump admit the inappropriateness of his words? That will be the day.

Eagle Scouts can say anything they want, but it doesn't change matters.

Only the BSA leadership can do that. Time to earn those high salaries.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:00 PM

716 posts, read 393,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
It is a PR nightmare and it's not what Trump said or that he said it to a bunch of kids, it's that they cheered and booed along with the support of the BS leaders.

This is a character building organization.

Hmmm?
You're missing the point, that's exactly why this is a nightmare. It wouldn't be an issue if he hadn't opened his disgusting pie-hole and started talking politics.

It's supposed to be an apolitical event, it's always has been and it always will be again after this stain on our WH is out of office...

Old 07-27-2017, 12:01 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,069,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Well perhaps you could explain why they aren't petitioning the White House for an apology rather than threatening to boycott Boy Scout fundraising events?
No one expects Trump to apologize. He bragged that he never apologizes because he's never wrong.

We all accept that Trump is an idiot and a boor and completely inappropriate 99% of the time, and there is no changing that. He is a lost cause. The issue is the BSA doing the right thing for the benefit of their scouts. Because the scouts are the ones suffering the fallout. Trump doesn't give a ****.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:02 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,107,394 times
The President of the Boy Scouts of America issued a FORMAL apology for Trump's speech.

That tells you everything you need to know.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:04 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
Quote:
The deal is, we have no way of knowing.

Scout leaders stood cheering and booing along with the boys. Who is to say they weren't talking Trump up around the campfire? Or carrying on about Muslims and Mexicans and the beleaguered Sessions?

It wasn't that Trump did his usual routine that has people appalled. (Nobody really believes he could have been redirected. That's just silly.)

It's that the Scouts and the leaders cheered and booed along with him.
Sadly, these are good and valid points.

Do we now have to worry about our children being indoctrinated by people with like minds?

The thought terrifies me.

13,388 posts, read 6,435,788 times
Quote:
So if the Scout Law has a section about civil behavior, what happened?

Why were 40,000 Scouts cheering this BS?
Yes tell us why your kids were misbehaving.

We demand to know lol.

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
And if he leaves, then what? WE are the Scouting program: my husband, my father-in-law, my brother, my sons, our Scoutmasters and other volunteers, all of whom are upset & disappointed by what happened. It seems to me that our roars of disapproval are an indication that character-building DOES happen in the Boy Scouts.
Sadly it is not just the Boy Scouts heeding the cause but also whacked out liberals who are using it against the Boy Scout program thinking it is some Hitler Youth saying "Hail Hitler." This isn't the BSA I grew up in, it isn't. I didn't even think of that when they allowed troops to decide to let openly gay scouts in.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:05 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,459,683 times
The Boys Scouts' non-apology apology:

National Jamboree: Boy Scouts Head Apologizes for Trump | Time.com

From the Chief: Our Perspective on the Presidential Visit - Scouting Wire : Scouting Wire

"...I want to extend my sincere apologies to those in our Scouting family who were offended by the political rhetoric that was inserted into the jamboree. That was never our intent. The invitation for the sitting U.S. President to visit the National Jamboree is a long-standing tradition that has been extended to the leader of our nation that has had a Jamboree during his term since 1937. It is in no way an endorsement of any person, party or policies. For years, people have called upon us to take a position on political issues, and we have steadfastly remained non-partisan and refused to comment on political matters. We sincerely regret that politics were inserted into the Scouting program."

Old 07-27-2017, 12:05 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,435,788 times
Quote:
They could have turned off the sound, claimed a tech glitch.

Had a brief chat with Trump and his staff about the importance of being non-political. Then have him finish his speech, complete with more sound glitches if he couldn't stay on track.

Barring that, they could have immediately put out a strong statement about how they regret the unfortunate political speech and encourage Scout leaders to discuss with their troops the importance of being non-partisan.

Of course, that would never happen because the BSA President wants team Trump to approve a merger for his company.
Are you suggesting Boy Scouts should lie?

Pretty sure that is against their code of conduct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies