Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 10:04 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Hilarious that Trump haters can call him divisive. The divisiveness started long before Trump

Obama was the most divisive president in my lifetime. He constantly berated his political opponents, told them to go sit in the back of the car now that he was in charge. He demonized the wealthy - of course he now lives in multi-millionaire digs and gives half-hour speeches for $600k or more.

He left this nation more polarized than ever, and ever since then his loyal little lapdogs have been doing their utmost to keep it that way - by posting endless whiny and baseless crap like this, for example.
Since I was the only person in this thread to actually bring up the divisiveness thing, I'll assume this is lazily directed at me. You should know, I very clearly said this has been going on before Trump. It's getting worse under Trump. Mr. #MAGA is not making anything better by adding to the problem. Do you disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 10:15 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
There seems to be lots of keywords being thrown around by the left which they probably hear on TV and repeat it all over the internet (like 'pathological liar' 'misogynist,' etc [word's that people wouldn't otherwise use in daily conversation, but apparently it makes them sound smart, or cool, or part of the 'in' crowd, whatever]). One word I see often here is that Trump has somehow "damaged" this nation. How so specifically? My life is great. What happened to yours since he took office?
I'm grateful I don't travel abroad as most countries would see me as an American and either express sympathy or anger ... because of our POTUS.

If it wasn't for the 'pesky' laws that get in Trumps way, it might become possible for you to feel his effectiveness, a bit closer to home.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:36 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Default POTUS doesn't matter, Congress does ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I don't think it is a good thing because Congress is not getting anything passed based on Trump's actions. They are starting to do anything to oppose him, Democrats and Republicans alike.
The only reason Congress is not getting anything passed would be because they are not going their jobs appropriately. We can not blame the POTUS for everything, however, I believe Congress likes it that we do. That way no one is looking at their screw ups, as all eyes and media are on the POTUS.

https://www.congressforkids.net/Cons...eebranches.htm

"Legislative Branch: Headed by Congress, which includes the House of Representatives and the Senate. The main task of these two bodies is to make the laws. Its powers include passing laws, originating spending bills (House), impeaching officials (Senate), and approving treaties (Senate)."

https://www.senate.gov/reference/ref...Vetoes_vrd.htm

"The power of the President to refuse to approve a bill or joint resolution and thus prevent its enactment into law is the veto. The President has ten days (excluding Sundays) to sign a bill passed by Congress. A regular veto occurs when the President returns the legislation to the house in which it originated, usually with a message explaining the rationale for the veto. This veto can be overridden only by a two-thirds vote in both the Senate and the House. If this occurs, the bill becomes law over the President's objections. A pocket veto occurs when Congress adjourns during the ten-day period. The President cannot return the bill to Congress. The President's decision not to sign the legislation is a pocket veto and Congress does not have the opportunity to override."
_________

Every 2 years we get to over throw the government. I don't think there is another country in the world that their citizens can do that.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:46 AM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You do realize that, prior to Trump, we did have immigration laws and the Obama Administration (and all the other administrations before) DID actually deport illegal immigrants, right?

I mean, what was ICE up to all these years before Trump the Redeemer was crowned?

Obama tied ICE's hands when it came to doing their jobs properly.

Immigration agents sue to stop Obama's non-deportation policy - Washington Times

Obama reinstates 'catch-and-release' policy for illegal immigrants - Washington Times

Oh...and Obama wasn't "the great deporter":

Deportations come mostly from border, DHS chief says - Washington Times

Old 08-04-2017, 10:58 AM

2,366 posts, read 1,647,874 times
The only damage I see is the damaged liberal left which was revealed as a result of Trump's presidency. Obama promised to "fundamentally change" our nation, and he did. He emboldened the extremists of the Democrat party and divided our country, along racial, political, lines including the diminution of authority when it comes to respect for law enforcement.

The damaged left has been revealed, and that's the bigger threat facing our nation.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:05 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
There seems to be lots of keywords being thrown around by the left which they probably hear on TV and repeat it all over the internet (like 'pathological liar' 'misogynist,' etc [word's that people wouldn't otherwise use in daily conversation, but apparently it makes them sound smart, or cool, or part of the 'in' crowd, whatever]). One word I see often here is that Trump has somehow "damaged" this nation. How so specifically? My life is great. What happened to yours since he took office?
For starters, our soft power and influence in the world is the worst it's been since World War I. His constant attacks on Democratic institutions and his endless lies and corruption are doing massive damage to the stability of American democracy. The world is getting much more unstable, far worse than it was before Trump. We're on the brink of 3 major wars.

But why are you asking this since you don't actually care? You worship Trump, so he could murder your family and you'd praise him. Seems like a pointless thread for you to start.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:05 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Since I was the only person in this thread to actually bring up the divisiveness thing, I'll assume this is lazily directed at me. You should know, I very clearly said this has been going on before Trump. It's getting worse under Trump. Mr. #MAGA is not making anything better by adding to the problem. Do you disagree?
The silence answers your question. Of course they understand that Trump is dividing the country, they just can't admit it. Otherwise their carefully constructed pseudologic comes crashing down. But as far as Obama being a "great divider" can't say that I observed that. Biggest problem with Obama is that he was more a lawyer than a leader. The problem with Trump is that he is neither.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:10 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
The silence answers your question. Of course they understand that Trump is dividing the country, they just can't admit it. Otherwise their carefully constructed pseudologic comes crashing down. But as far as Obama being a "great divider" can't say that I observed that. Biggest problem with Obama is that he was more a lawyer than a leader. The problem with Trump is that he is neither.
Obama could at times come off as condescending to the other side. He often didn't push much effort into reaching across the aisle (nor did they do much reaching across to him or the Democrats).

I don't think it's unfair to say Obama was divisive. I do think it's unfair to say he was more divisive the Trump. Trump regularly tweets insults at his opponents and express open hostility at his rallies, which he for some reason is still having.

Obama was not without flaw, but that comparison is just dishonest. Trump is far more divisive than Obama was.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:37 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
I would also add that however Obama may have contributed to divisiveness in this country, he never did it maliciously or even intentionally. He may have sounded like he was demonizing the one percent of the richest people in the country when pointing out policies that greatly favored them over the other 99% of the country.

Trump actively, maliciously and intentionally promotes division, and he does so not to further his political agenda, but to boost his own ego. He demonizes the press because they report the truth rather than sugarcoat him the way Fox and Hannity do--because it hurts his ego. So he must make them really bad guys in the eyes of his cult. He demonizes the intelligence community because they won't behave the way he wants them to and because they want to enforce laws which he may be breaking.

That WV 'speech' last night was an attempt to get people to hate the FBI and intelligence community who are doing the investigations, by claiming it was intended to demean them (the supporters), which could not be further from the truth. Frankly--more than divisive--that speech was downright dangerous and possibly seditious. It is a tactic corrupt dictators use.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:59 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Obama could at times come off as condescending to the other side. He often didn't push much effort into reaching across the aisle (nor did they do much reaching across to him or the Democrats).

I don't think it's unfair to say Obama was divisive. I do think it's unfair to say he was more divisive the Trump. Trump regularly tweets insults at his opponents and express open hostility at his rallies, which he for some reason is still having.

Obama was not without flaw, but that comparison is just dishonest. Trump is far more divisive than Obama was.
I think it was often hard for Obama to know just how much racist hatred was being spewed at him and his family and how many assassination plots, schemes, attempts were going on because so many white nationalist types couldn't stand a black man in office that he often came off a bit dismissive. I do agree with you there.

I do believe that if Trump had had that many Secret Service messages re: assassination plots, he'd be flipping out now and talking about it every time he got near a podium or an interviewer, to try to skewer his opponents and make it seem like everyone who doesn't support him is a potential assassin.

Which is absolutely not true.

I appreciate that Obama was able to keep on doing his job despite all of the crap I'm sure he had to tolerate, not the least of which was an actually obstructionist Congress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies