Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 02:36 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Exactly. Trump called Obama on gaining less respect for the US by the world? But HE TRUMP HIMSELF has done more harm then anything in the previous 8-years.

I live in small city PA where volunteer Fire-houses have their own restaurants and most a bar to help support it with limited gambling. I LISTEN TO WHAT IS SAID .... Many are staunch Trump supporters as Blue-collar hard working types. But the LUV as waned. He gives them nothing to boast about and many will admit he is crushing expectations they had.

Few are so naïve .... as to just give Trump total praise. They are not stupid. But certainly let down at this point. But NOTHING makes Obama look better in their eyes. So they maintain their positive stand on Trump over Obama.

Democrats need to have a moderate gun stand as that is a HUGE OBSTICLE with these more rural and small city type blue-color folk. What they HATE MOST..... is to remove more guns if they have some. Whether to just collect or hunt with. Most just collect them and many veterans.

But can this all go on for 3 1/2 more years? Never say never but ......
I'm not anti-gun, but I'll never understand the obsession with guns to the detriment of pretty much EVERYTHING else.

It's not like we're going to use our handguns and rifles to hold off the US government if they decide to declare martial law and take control of the country. It's simply not possible. I don't care how much people want to think it is. It's not.

With that in mind, if we want to defend our country, we have more than one branch of the military in which to do just that. We're not the colonies anymore, depending on homegrown militias. We have the National Guard, for crying out loud.

That said, I am not anti-gun. At all.

I'm just not sure why guns seem to matter more than things like food, clothing, shelter, and healthcare for these people and their families.

If someone told me that we could ditch guns and live in a modern utopia and that they'd guarantee it (think genie in a bottle) I'd go for it.

We can all hunt with bows, after all.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:50 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm not anti-gun, but I'll never understand the obsession with guns to the detriment of pretty much EVERYTHING else.

Hugo Chavez's government says the ultimate aim is to disarm all civilians. Look at Venezuela now. The people have nothing to fight back with as they are murdered by the police of the current dictator.

Venezuela bans private gun ownership - BBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 03:08 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
I only ignore the nonsensical things you say. Why start an argument on a ridiculous premise?

As for "tearing this country apart" (another keyword you guys like), it seems you liked politics the way it was before he came on the scene. I (and many) for one, believe he has shaken up 'politics as usual' like no one has ever done before. He has started a new dialogue and people (on both sides) are asking questions and learning more about politics (and the media, etc) than they ever have before.

It's a perspective thing, but of course, you seem to have trouble understanding other's perspectives based on your posts.
TheDusty happens to be right. I don't know how you can ignore his misogyny. It's pretty obvious that he is someone who can't be criticized. Morning Joe is a prime example of that. Trump is probably the most distracted President in history. He was accused by McCain of treating Congress like they are employees. There is evidence that his facts are made up on the spot. He has been caught lying on several occasions.

His first six months are a failure and he is not improving.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:12 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,043 times
Quote:

It's not like we're going to use our handguns and rifles to hold off the US government if they decide to declare martial law and take control of the country. It's simply not possible. I don't care how much people want to think it is. It's not.

With that in mind, if we want to defend our country, we have more than one branch of the military in which to do just that. We're not the colonies anymore, depending on homegrown militias. We have the National Guard, for crying out loud.

That said, I am not anti-gun. At all.

I'm just not sure why guns seem to matter more than things like food, clothing, shelter, and healthcare for these people and their families.

If someone told me that we could ditch guns and live in a modern utopia and that they'd guarantee it (think genie in a bottle) I'd go for it.

We can all hunt with bows, after all.
I'm a liberal. The only thing that you've convinced me of is that the Democrats should shut up about fire arms.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:09 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:
I like Bernie as a senator. I had my doubts about him as a President and you've outlined pretty much why.

Kasich was one I liked, too. I mean, not everything about him, but if he'd been the Republican candidate, I might even have voted for him.

I sure wouldn't have minded if he won.

This year's election cycle was a circus. I think we got the candidates that reflected our current, reality show-obsessed society. It's ugly, but there it is.

I think that 2020 will be different. I don't think Trump is going to be around, for various reasons. I do think that the people who thought that they need not vote because Trump could not possibly be allowed to run the country will show up to vote this time.

I love the USA, but so many of us are known for thinking that other people can do the heavy lifting when it comes to voting and civic duty. I think that half the country tuning out won't happen again anytime soon.
I often disagree with you, but I completely agree with you re the bolded.

Among other things, that the Kartrashians have been able to gain a toehold and become popular over the last 10 years, leaves me shaking my head.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:42 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,133,008 times
Quote:
You do realize that, prior to Trump, we did have immigration laws and the Obama Administration (and all the other administrations before) DID actually deport illegal immigrants, right?

I mean, what was ICE up to all these years before Trump the Redeemer was crowned?

Yes we had immigration we allowed set amount of people per year per country. Yes we did have immigration laws which Obama decided he wasn't going to obey. The immigration laws were ignored, we have never allowed a flood of people in this country without documentation and a physical. By the way Obama's idea of deportation was turning people away at our southern border they didn't enter the country. Fairly confident that doesn't meet the definition deportation since that implies you have entered the country.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:45 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,133,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Hugo Chavez's government says the ultimate aim is to disarm all civilians. Look at Venezuela now. The people have nothing to fight back with as they are murdered by the police of the current dictator.

That is exactly what happened in Germany when Hitler rose to power. This is why its important to learn from history as we will be doomed to repeat it again.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:18 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,505,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post

Old 08-10-2017, 09:45 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
Since we have a sexual predator, Groper-In-Chief, I would say that has damaged America. It is an insult to all women to have someone like that as America's leader. It is also an insult to America to have an open racist who was a virulent "birther" as President.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:54 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuanQuixote View Post
There seems to be lots of keywords being thrown around by the left which they probably hear on TV and repeat it all over the internet (like 'pathological liar' 'misogynist,' etc [word's that people wouldn't otherwise use in daily conversation, but apparently it makes them sound smart, or cool, or part of the 'in' crowd, whatever]). One word I see often here is that Trump has somehow "damaged" this nation. How so specifically? My life is great. What happened to yours since he took office?
My life was great under Obama and is still great. Trump has done nothing since he's been in office so we're still living off of what Obama did. But I think we need to look at the larger picture....like the world We have always been the greatest nation. Under Trump, we are pretty much a laughing stock now. I'm just hoping he doesn't do anything really stupid like getting us into another war especially with North Korea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies