Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2017, 04:17 PM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The problem is people are terminated for non-PC speech because PC speech was a political inspired end run around of the 1st amendment.
Shenanigans. Social and professional disapprobation has always been part of what upholds elementary social norms. You can yell the most obscene political ideas at the top of your lungs, that's your right. But you can't force decent people to associate with you afterwards.

And they call Millennials entitled, sheesh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 04:17 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,827,302 times
The best part of this all is that the Top Dog restaurant in Berkeley has a manifesto page on their website dedicated to Mises and libertarian views. One of the recent posts is about the Google Diversity Memo and how the employee shouldn't have been fired for his views (the irony) and a post about the Charlottesville protests saying how decrying the alt right isn't the solution:

top dog propergander

Seems like the owners actually have much more rational views on the state of our country then the extreme right or left

Old 08-14-2017, 04:18 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,678,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
So you are saying the church or any other employer can fire the employee for appearing at the Pro Life rally correct?

The Catholic Church makes their teachers sign a morals clause ,yes they can be fired.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:18 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
So you are saying the church or any other employer can fire the employee for appearing at the Pro Life rally correct?
I think so. I'm pretty sure if one of the teachers at my son's old parochial school was caught on camera at a Pro Choice rally arguing for abortion, they'd be let go.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:20 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I don't condone any of the utter nonsense and stupidity that went down on both sides of that event. But one thing that has come out is all of the public outing of "racists" on twitter where people are posting pictures and identifying people in the crowd. One guy has already lost his job just because there were photos of him at the rally (fired by a restaurant in Berkeley surprise surprise). I don't personally agree with much of the politics of either side, but this is still the United States of America right? Doesn't everyone in this country have the right to gather under the First Amendment regardless of how offensive their views might be to anyone else?

This is just one example of the slippery slope this entire country is heading down on both sides toward civil war. And every day this stuff weakens us it only makes North Korea stronger, ISIS stronger and everyone that wants to destroy the American way of life because we're all doing it for them.
Well because I believe in freedom -- I believe an employer should be able to decide -- not us....not the right or the left.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:20 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,812,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I think so. I'm pretty sure if one of the teachers at my son's old parochial school was caught on camera at a Pro Choice rally arguing for abortion, they'd be let go.
I fixed my OP to read correctly but you got the idea. LOL.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:21 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,266,897 times
How would you feel as an African American or Jewish or some other minority if you saw your boss dressed up in KKK garb on tv? Lets say you're a business owner and you saw your HR manager on the news outfitted in white supremacist garb.

Yes, business owners are within their rights to release a known white supremacist from employment. You may not like it, but that's their choice, not yours. As soon as you own your own business, you can hire all the bigots you want.

7,520 posts, read 2,812,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
The Catholic Church makes their teachers sign a morals clause ,yes they can be fired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Sorry. Had to fix the OP to read pro choice.

Anyway. So the same for any other employer that may not be a church. Do you still feel the same?

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
A private individual can't violate or infringe on your constitutional and civil rights unless strangely it's your 1st amendment rights.
Looking through the 1st amendment, I find that the right to remain employed no matter how big of a fool I make of myself in public is strangely missing from my copy. Probably a PC version.

23,795 posts, read 13,274,620 times
Quote:
I don't get how people say private individuals or employers should be able to stifle free expression and assembly as long as they are not the government. It's un-American and violates the spirit of free speech.

Should employers fire gun owners too, since they are not the government and are not infringing on gun owners by making them decide between exercising their 2nd amendment rights or employment?

What about the 4th amendment? Are private individuals or employers allowed to search you at will because they have some kind of suspicion?

What about amendment 9, the enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people. Doesn't that suggest that people have rights beyond how and what they is framed in the Bill of Rights. Like for instance, to generally have a right to make a living and have free speech at the same time.
And businesses have the freedom to run their business however they like, as long as it is legal. They are writing the paychecks.

Are you aware that some companies will not hire you if you smoke cigarettes? Even if you smoke cigarettes at home.

And it is legal for them to do it, as well as legal to smoke cigarettes. So I'm guessing if they don't want to hire gun owners, they don't have to.

I don't know if employers have the right to search you on their property, but I am guessing they do. They aren't the police. If they suspect you of stealing I think they could search you. If they want to read your emails on their computers or search your browsing history, they can.

Nobody is forced to work for those companies, and I personally would not work for a company like that, but businesses under 50 employees have a lot of leeway, depending on state laws as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies