Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2017, 06:47 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
A multicultural society is more likely to succeed if immigrants are being sourced from cultures that value education and achievement.
Agreed and HOW!

Old 08-18-2017, 06:48 PM

62,972 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I disagree. It is about values and those values influencing behavior that can cause problems. The problem that follows is when people pay attention to a particular behavior and consider it cultural, when it was brought about by values.

It doesn't matter what you call it. Every cultural group values things differently and there lays at least part of the conflict. Many times peoples cultures/values are unacceptable to another group and they can't tolerate it in their neighborhoods and cities. It's just human nature.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:55 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
The U.S., the most successful nation in world history, was multi-ethnic and multi-cultural from the beginning.

Other prominent empires like Roman Empire and Ottoman Empire, were much the same.

Better question would be have there ever been any super-successful, dominant monocultures? Maybe China, because the Han Chinese dominate? But China is really only successful because of numbers. Overall the country is still very poor and backward.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:09 PM

7,596 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It doesn't matter what you call it. Every cultural group values things differently and there lays at least part of the conflict. Many times peoples cultures/values are unacceptable to another group and they can't tolerate it in their neighborhoods and cities. It's just human nature.
I am married to a White Eastern European with a very different culture. When I visited his family and childhood friends, I ate the same food and spoke the same language. However, some families were prejudice against me for being American, forget about my skin color.

Other families tried to learn as much as possible from me. I noticed we got along because we shared the same values. This had nothing to do with culture.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Wait till multi-culturalism goes after football, baseball , all that has been American culture. They already started with the Red Skins... just to put their toe in the water to see the reaction.
The globalists are trying very hard to destroy our history, our identity as a nation.. they want us to be just the world.. no borders, no countries, all on the same playing ground..

Our middle class has to be brought down in order for globalist markets to be able to equal the worlds pay grade.

Trump has put a big wrench into their world view .. as a one world governing body. One world leader above all nations..

Our history, our patriotism, our Constitution does not fit the narrative. Neither does religion. The way to progress is to go through the democratic party, our media takes care of the brainwashing of the masses, and it was going along just fine till the people recognized what was going on. And Trump came along.

The global powers are mad as hell. It did not go as they expected. Now they are figuring out a way to banish our history, go after our Founding Fathers, Shred our Constitution, Take away our guns. It is coming.. we will be all pawns to a one world governing body when our identity and our borders are gone.
Oh no...are the New Orleans Saints going to have to change their name?

Old 08-19-2017, 08:18 AM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If you willfully and respectfully interact with others it seems like you either like them or tolerate them enough to do business with them.

Forced association (immigration laws, busing, zoning laws, the Civil Rights Act of 1964, etc) that put people in contact with each other at gunpoint makes folks resentful and bitter.

This is why the State loves to force people to associate. It knows it creates an environment of hostility and mistrust.
That environment of distrust and hostility existed before "forced association". "Forced association" has nothing to do with it. The hostility and hatred was already there. Jim Crow laws and restrictive covenants reflected that. Busing, zoning, Civil Rights Act, I'm glad it happened. Sometimes people need to be told, "you are either going to treat each other like Americans, or else".

Old 08-19-2017, 08:25 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
We are all familiar with the phrase "diversity is our strength." I would like to know what the historical basis for that is. Sure, US has always been "multi-cultural" but all of those cultures came from the same race/geographic area and were always forced to assimilate into one culture. Where did the idea that a society made up roughly equally of fiver different races would be better than a county of only one race?

I'm not trying to stir the pot here, just trying to learn. Thanks!
If you believe the portion of your comment to be true, you need to sue whoever taught you American history for malpractice. I know the country is becoming increasingly diverse, but to say that Americans have EVER all been from one race or geographical area is just plain false.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:08 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If you willfully and respectfully interact with others it seems like you either like them or tolerate them enough to do business with them.

Forced association (immigration laws, busing, zoning laws, the Civil Rights Act of 1964, etc) that put people in contact with each other at gunpoint makes folks resentful and bitter.

This is why the State loves to force people to associate. It knows it creates an environment of hostility and mistrust.
And keeping people who are different out at gunpoint is preferable?

No one can force me to be friends with anyone. No one can force me to open my home to anyone. Beyond that, if there is a person or group of people I wish to avoid, it's my responsibility to stay away. I don't get to dictate where they can or cannot live, work, worship, travel, or be educated.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:18 AM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
And keeping people who are different out at gunpoint is preferable?

No one can force me to be friends with anyone. No one can force me to open my home to anyone. Beyond that, if there is a person or group of people I wish to avoid, it's my responsibility to stay away. I don't get to dictate where they can or cannot live, work, worship, travel, or be educated.
I will come out and say what I think. Whenever I hear "forced association" being mentioned, nothing about freedom comes to mind. To me it's code for "we want Jim Crow back. We want "no Blacks allowed" to be the law. We want to control where certain people can and cannot go". Using the term "forced association" is a way of obscuring the motives. By cloaking it in "freedom" making it look more like "we just want freedom", it obscures the motive. Nothing about freedom in this because said persons really want to limit the freedoms of others.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:26 AM

10,482 posts, read 4,046,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Singapore. Yes it's small, but it's the most diverse country on the planet and also has the lowest crime rates on the planet. It's also quite wealthy.

Historically I don't think there are that many incredibly diverse countries, it wasn't until the last hundred years that humans have really started to globally mass migrate.

The most diverse US states are also some of the wealthiest and have the lowest crimes rates. The same is true in Canada and most western countries. The diverse or international areas are the wealthiest and often have lower crime rates.

Tto be honest, I don't think there is any correlation between success and whether a society is homogeneous or multi racial. The wealth of the world is mostly divided into historically European and Asian countries. But at the same time there are diverse societies that are successful, so I don't think history is a good guide on what the future may look like.

This whole "debate" is being pushed for the purpose of nationalism. Strong nationalism as an ideal seldom ends well for a nation.
I think in the end, it comes down to wealth being the deciding factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies