Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you re-elect Trump?
YES 371 48.69%
NO 391 51.31%
Voters: 762. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 08:45 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Once again you fall into the trap of the popular vote. It does not MATTER. You can win 6 million to zero in NY and California but unless you get the 270+ EC votes, all it will be is useless comments on the CD forums. I think you are more intelligent than that.

Secondly, I cam bet you that the opponent matters. Bring in Elizabeth Warren and you are sure to lose, however much you get those Hillary supporters to turn out. So choose the opponent wisely.

Thirdly, Trump may be self serving but he knows how to play both sides of the aisle. One thing all voters hate more than the POTUS is our congress, whether they be republicans or democrats. They are obstructionists and want to do nothing whether they are in the majority or opposition. If Trump can get something done by each side, the voters might prefer him to a POTUS that can work only with republicans or democrats but not both.
Of course I know how the electoral college works and which votes matter...

Who doesn't after we all witnessed Trump criticizing the electoral college when he feared he would not win that vote, then suddenly we all find that he does? Don't need to be all that intelligent to know all that, but thanks for the vote of confidence anyway.

No doubt the nominee for any party needs to be "chosen wisely," and I'm not sure who the best choice to face off against Trump might be yet, but I suspect Trump will have a harder time the next go around regardless the choice, because there are not as many as polarizing as Hillary, and I think Hillary would win if the election were done again. Reason? Because too many people did not expect Trump to win, so they were not energized enough to go to the polls.

As you point out, of course, there is the electoral college that is different from the popular vote, but typically the electoral college falls in line with the popular vote. My point about the popular vote is that more people are not supportive of Trump than Trump supporters seem to realize, and not as likely to let him win again the next go around.

We shall see, in any case. We shall see...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Thirdly, Trump may be self serving but he knows how to play both sides of the aisle. One thing all voters hate more than the POTUS is our congress, whether they be republicans or democrats. They are obstructionists and want to do nothing whether they are in the majority or opposition. If Trump can get something done by each side, the voters might prefer him to a POTUS that can work only with republicans or democrats but not both.
What people hate about Congress is generally the sense of disappointment in people's lives that needs to be blamed on someone, something, but also that Congress has been obstructing progress for quite awhile now. I'd be more specific and note the GOP in particular, now into something like their 70th+ attempt at repealing the ACA (and of course that doesn't count all the effort to stop it from becoming law in the first place).

But also what people hate about Congress is the sense that elected officials are selling out the people which all too often is what compromise means to the same people. Trump is now selling out those who believed he would build that wall, repeal the ACA -- AND REPLACE IT, do away with DACA, get us into another Korean war...

Might be Trump is found to be less a problem for those who didn't like him in the first place, but whether he will win more support than he started with? Not sure I see that materializing. Polls don't seem to suggest the likes either...

Old 09-20-2017, 08:57 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
This presidency is VERY different from the Obama administration. With Obama, Americans felt like they were the enemy (it would have been the same if Hillary won), with Trump as president the success and welfare of Americans is most important. And before the left goes ape chit, America FIRST doesn't mean "only" so seriously, don't let the media screw up what words mean.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:58 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I didn't vote for him, but might be tempted to just because the behavior of much of the left since he's been elected has wandered into crazy-land.
Here's my original quote on this. As time has passed, I have to say, I think I would vote for him. Reasons? Nothing to do with the left, despite what I originally wrote. I'm glad he tried to put a stop to excessive regulations, even if what was done will probably only have a small effect (if any) on removing some of the regulatory hurdles facing small businesses. It's a step in the right direction. I'm happy that he's tried to make the VA better by making it easier to fire incompetent workers. I'm glad he kicked DACA back to congress. The clincher, though, was that he was willing to compromise in order to get the debt ceiling raised and get funding for those hurt by Harvey.

There are a few things I'm NOT happy about. The biggest in the last little while is the increase in the NDAA. I also have 'yuge' doubts that he can get Republicans to come up with a decent budget. That one's not entirely on him, but I don't think he's done much to make peace with the Repubs who didn't want him in office. Sure, I'd love to tell them to FO, too, but you can't accomplish anything that way.

Looking at what I like v. dislike, he's doing okay as far as I'm concerned.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:01 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
As for the poll, it's a useless poll.

Of the poll participants how many didn't vote for Trump in the first place? You could have voted for Hillary and voted no.

OP, do better next time.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:04 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
What people hate about Congress is generally the sense of disappointment in people's lives that needs to be blamed on someone, something, but also that Congress has been obstructing progress for quite awhile now. I'd be more specific and note the GOP in particular, now into something like their 70th+ attempt at repealing the ACA (and of course that doesn't count all the effort to stop it from becoming law in the first place).

But also what people hate about Congress is the sense that elected officials are selling out the people which all too often is what compromise means to the same people. Trump is now selling out those who believed he would build that wall, repeal the ACA -- AND REPLACE IT, do away with DACA, get us into another Korean war...

Might be Trump is found to be less a problem for those who didn't like him in the first place, but whether he will win more support than he started with? Not sure I see that materializing. Polls don't seem to suggest the likes either...
I think he might. Most of those who voted for him aren't going to vote for a Democrat regardless, of those who were cross-over voters, they still hate Hillary, and it feels like he's swinging some who were uncertain about him at election time.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
I'd vote for Putin if Hillary was the opposing candidate. Something that Democrats need to let sink in is there is lot of things people for Trump voters they did not like about him before the election and leading up to this point. His deficiencies are irrelevant where the big picture is concerned for many people.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
This presidency is VERY different from the Obama administration. With Obama, Americans felt like they were the enemy (it would have been the same if Hillary won), with Trump as president the success and welfare of Americans is most important. And before the left goes ape chit, America FIRST doesn't mean "only" so seriously, don't let the media screw up what words mean.
Seems you write this with "straight face," but really?

Obviously how we felt when Obama was POTUS vs Trump depends ENTIRELY on who you ask. I surely didn't feel like I was the enemy under Obama, but I sure get the feeling that Trump views lots of folks as his enemy and/or enemy of the people; the media, the press, academia, Muslims, Schwarzenegger...

Your comment is comical all considered.

This need to always explain what Trump really means also gets tiring, starting with what making "America great again." Not hard to get that "first" doesn't mean "only." Fine, but when much of the world already views America as "first" when it comes to consuming resources, military might, weapons trade, wealth, etc., one really has to wonder if this is really the best message to now be chanting.

"First" is not the word that comes to mind when I think of how we are most likely to build the world coalition or foster the relationship with our allies that helps relieve America's burdens across the board, let alone more peace and less war.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:50 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,623,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Per the bolded, what the hell are you talking about? I'm third generation American, and did not feel like an enemy at all when your hated Obama was President.

I feel that way now that The Cheeto is occupying the oval office. Especially from all the liberal bashing that goes on from him, and on places like this board.

I think that it was the Bible thumpers, and the Duck Dynasty/Honey Boo Boo crowd that "felt" like the enemy during the Obama Presidency, so spare me

Old 09-20-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Here's my original quote on this. As time has passed, I have to say, I think I would vote for him. Reasons? Nothing to do with the left, despite what I originally wrote. I'm glad he tried to put a stop to excessive regulations, even if what was done will probably only have a small effect (if any) on removing some of the regulatory hurdles facing small businesses. It's a step in the right direction. I'm happy that he's tried to make the VA better by making it easier to fire incompetent workers. I'm glad he kicked DACA back to congress. The clincher, though, was that he was willing to compromise in order to get the debt ceiling raised and get funding for those hurt by Harvey.

There are a few things I'm NOT happy about. The biggest in the last little while is the increase in the NDAA. I also have 'yuge' doubts that he can get Republicans to come up with a decent budget. That one's not entirely on him, but I don't think he's done much to make peace with the Repubs who didn't want him in office. Sure, I'd love to tell them to FO, too, but you can't accomplish anything that way.

Looking at what I like v. dislike, he's doing okay as far as I'm concerned.
Appreciate your reasons worth considering over so many of these comments that offer no such clues as to rhyme or reason...

You don't mention this mania over repeal and replace or even health care period. That's a real issue to my way of thinking and maybe not something you "like," but something pretty damn important if you ask me. Trump's direction and actions from beginning to end regarding that fairly significant issue is a UUGE dislike for me. The big wall to nowhere paid by no one is another big source of annoyance and embarrassment for America too.

Rolling back regulations -- in particular to keep the financial players in check -- after the problems we just endured with a financial system run amok is just not right. No one likes any more regulation or oversight than necessary, especially those intent on taking advantage when they are lacking, but what Trump is doing is much like suggesting fewer fire protection sprinklers after a rash of deadly high-rise office building fires.

"Kicking DACA back to Congress" is much like his M.O. with health care. Hasn't got a clue about promoting what might work better. No idea. Doesn't want to be blamed for going backward rather than forward, for not coming up with something better, so..., here Congress! You get the egg on your face. We all know you members of Congress need to broker a solution not there to be had, unlike me who just wants to play king. I'm going for whatever I can keep in the way of this loyal blind support among my core faithful that I can...

Last edited by LearnMe; 09-20-2017 at 10:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies