Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2017, 09:44 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,132,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Interns at google make 70k a year.
What I don't understand is why these companies prefer to operate in a bubble? They have to pay higher salaries than anywhere else in the US, because it costs so much to live there. When this condition got started in the 80's, why were these companies not relocating to other parts of the country, in mass? Such as what Ford and GM did in moving away from the high cost labor areas like the Northeast, and moving to the south where labor is much cheaper. It seems to defy market economics. Why do they backstab American workers by bringing in foreign workers for half the salary? They force their employees who worked for them years and years to train their replacements at gunpoint, holding their severance pay hostage unless they comply. That's sick. They could move operations to many other places within the US and pick up workers at half the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 09:54 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
What I don't understand is why these companies prefer to operate in a bubble? They have to pay higher salaries than anywhere else in the US, because it costs so much to live there. When this condition got started in the 80's, why were these companies not relocating to other parts of the country, in mass? Such as what Ford and GM did in moving away from the high cost labor areas like the Northeast, and moving to the south where labor is much cheaper. It seems to defy market economics. Why do they backstab American workers by bringing in foreign workers for half the salary? They force their employees who worked for them years and years to train their replacements at gunpoint, holding their severance pay hostage unless they comply. That's sick. They could move operations to many other places within the US and pick up workers at half the price.
For two reasons. One, ask yourself why New York City still has far more fortune 500 companies HQ's than the next 10 metros combined....

And two, ask yourself if you lived in Coastal California with the great weather, would you really want to leave that for Minnesota or Texas?

Old 09-23-2017, 10:12 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,187,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
For two reasons. One, ask yourself why New York City still has far more fortune 500 companies HQ's than the next 10 metros combined....

And two, ask yourself if you lived in Coastal California with the great weather, would you really want to leave that for Minnesota or Texas?
Plus NY and CA have high concentrations of highly educated people. You are right, they do not want to live in the middle of the country with little opportunity and with (my add) a class of people they cannot relate.

Moving manual labor jobs is one thing. One with a 4th grade education can be trained or could of been before automation. Not so much with the jobs we are talking about.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Speaking of location I believe most corporate HQ's are located where the top executives and their families are most comfortable and have the greatest concentrations of the highly educated employees they require. The production locations are located where the transportation is optimized. Both East and West coast cities have rail, air and road connections that can place their products anywhere in the world at less cost than the Midwest.

Please note the "Blue" politics of the coasts are coincident with the level of real wealth in these areas. Conservative "RED" economics are designed to protect the people that already have the wealth while liberal economics tend to favor those that want to start businesses that will let them increase their own wealth.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:53 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,132,178 times
I refuse to believe with all the fine universities we have spread throughout the country, there would not be enough graduates to fill those jobs. The local university would retool the curriculum to accommodate the employer, and crank out skilled workers, if the companies would move the jobs there. They would have all the skilled workers they needed within a short time. Build and they will come. Many companies move workers around to other locations when there is a financial incentive to do so, offshoring is bad, but changing locations within the country, from an overpriced area to an affordable one, to boost profits, is not wrong, in fact it would help to unify the country and reduce the gap between rich and poor areas within the country.

Since when did a CEO care about the weather? If they can save on labor costs, most businesses would have no problem in forcing some of their employees to move and train new workers at a new location. What about Florida? They have nice weather and lots of cheap labor, they should have been moving all sorts of industry down there decades ago, there are 20 million people living there.

If it's because of a difference of political views, how is that different than the old days when companies shut people out for race, gender or religious grounds? They are basically saying "I don't want to work with those rednecks even if it costs me more money" and the more they do that, the more rednecks they produce, lol.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:56 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
I refuse to believe with all the fine universities we have spread throughout the country, there would not be enough graduates to fill those jobs. The local university would retool the curriculum to accommodate the employer, and crank out skilled workers, if the companies would move the jobs there. They would have all the skilled workers they needed within a short time. Build and they will come. Many companies move workers around to other locations when there is a financial incentive to do so, offshoring is bad, but changing locations within the country, from an overpriced area to an affordable one, to boost profits, is not wrong, in fact it would help to unify the country and reduce the gap between rich and poor areas within the country.

Since when did a CEO care about the weather? If they can save on labor costs, most businesses would have no problem in forcing some of their employees to move and train new workers at a new location. What about Florida? They have nice weather and lots of cheap labor, they should have been moving all sorts of industry down there decades ago, there are 20 million people living there.

If it's because of a difference of political views, how is that different than the old days when companies shut people out for race, gender or religious grounds? They are basically saying "I don't want to work with those rednecks even if it costs me more money" and the more they do that, the more rednecks they produce, lol.
Florida has nice weather from Nov-Mar. From Apr-Oct it is the inverse of a northern winter, very hot and muggy. Where coastal California is nice year round

Old 09-23-2017, 11:03 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
OP. I live in CA and in ground zero for illegal immigration. Los Angeles.

It's just gotten worse and worse unfortunately. Many think just because the politicians have a D by their name everything is ok.
Voter turnout for Mayoral election was only 20% this year in L.A and I wouldn't be surprised if a good number of people don't even know who the mayor of L.A is .

When I read the local news, almost everyday they are talking about creating this new law to protect illegal or this new policy. I don't ever hear anything about how they want to make the city better for legal tax paying voters and citizens.
It's gotten way way out of control.

I predict it will get worse as states like Texas ban sanctuary cities and all their illegals move to CA.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:57 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
These people are hell bent on allowing in as many third world illegal immigrants as possible. When California becomes the hell hole it's importing and bankrupts itself with reckless fiscal irresponsibility these people will be fleeing to more stable states. Something needs to be done about this state. The elites want their slave labor and the Dems want their votes. Why aren't their working class CITIZENS speaking up?

California suing Trump over border wall, escalating battle with White House | Fox News
So what do you propose, transplant?
A wall around California?

The fact is California can do what it wants with it's immigrants, as can any other state that wants to act in its own self interest.

That's what the courts are for- settling disagreements.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:42 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
The person making 50k a year in alabama has a house with a pool. the person making 50k in California is living in poverty.
Well that doesn't matter! Didn't you hear? California has "the weather"™

I find it laughable that anyone would state that the left is "for the working class". Everything that the left votes on pushes the working class down.

To the person who left the comment in my reps: Right, that's why the working class voted for Trump. The Dems are overrun by a bunch of flippin' lunatics who now control that party. The left does not stand for the working class, they are every bit against it. You can see it right here on CD with their arrogant, haughty attitudes towards anyone in the working class.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:18 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
So what do you propose, transplant?
A wall around California?

The fact is California can do what it wants with it's immigrants, as can any other state that wants to act in its own self interest.

That's what the courts are for- settling disagreements.
nope...Cali can NOT break federal laws and do what it wants............this was proven 157 years ago, when states did what they want to......you do understand what happened to those states that did what they wanted to... (civil war)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies