Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 05:38 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Most of the animosity against California is simple envy. When you watch some TV show with scantily clad girls ion some Cali beach during a Dakota Winter no wonder you are envious. When you are slaving at some non-union factory job in Alabama and see just how much a California Union Welder is being paid no wonder you are envious. When a Nebraska tractor driver sees just how hard so many immigrants are working picking winter vegetables in the big Valley you don't envy them so much but still buy the fresh vegetables.

If all of you are so incensed with California success why don't you, like the pilgrims of the "Grapes of Wrath", just move there?
The cost of living in CA is far higher than the cost of living in Alabama. I doubt the guy in CA is ahead.

Your arguments are false, as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 05:38 PM

30,172 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
You are so angry. Good for you for making so much money.

California is far from a dump. It is a beautiful state aside from the politics. I would move back there in a heart beat if it wasn't so expensive.
I grew up in SoCal. Go back and visit about once a year. Yes it is a beautiful state but way too crowded. Hard to find parking, bumper to bumper freeways. I have a laundry list of reasons that sort of squash the fact that its a pretty state. Plus most of what is nice about California can be found somewhere else in the U.S. No not all of them in the same state. And now with the politics there getting more and more bazaar. Not missing that at all. The roads and infrastructure are as bad as anywhere I have ever been. Proves that high taxes do not translate into anything necessarily.

It reminds me of people I have known no matter how much they make they always seem to spend it all and are broke more than they should be. California is like them, California is a state that gets so much revenue yet its always scraping by and finding new ways to raise fees and taxes.

I am glad I sold my house made a killing and now live where I don't feel like a lemming every time I get in my car. Those that are there, especially in the Bay area or SoCal. Good for you, you are troopers.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:39 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
California is a strange place. They do some great things, but also some terrible things.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:58 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The cost of living in CA is far higher than the cost of living in Alabama. I doubt the guy in CA is ahead.

CA is indeed expensive as hell but I gotta be fair and say, for people who want to do well, you can do very well. The state somehow manages to keep very well-paying companies here.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:00 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,795,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

The person making 50k a year in alabama has a house with a pool. the person making 50k in California is living in poverty.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:05 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,281,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
They will cooperate with them if required by a court order or mandated by law. They also will not release people who have criminal warrants.

They will not necesarilly recognize an ICE detainer just because the person is suspected of being here illegally (assuming no other crime), however. They will not do ICE's job for them.

They will not prevent ICE from doing their job, either. Perhaps ICE needs more personnel and resources?

For what it is worth, I'm not fully in agreement with the policy - but it's there, and I don't think it is legally wrong.

This issue has come before the Supreme court in the past:
http://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarc...1p.pdf#page=19
https://bipartisanpolicy.org/blog/sa...ners-a-primer/
I think we just disagree. To me, if they aren’t cooperating, they’re preventing ICE from doing their job, at least in part.

There’s an emphasis on protecting the people here illegally rather than looking after the citizens. California is really messed up.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:10 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,550,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
The person making 50k a year in alabama has a house with a pool. the person making 50k in California is living in poverty.
Except that, the person with the job making $50K in Alabama is probably making $75K or more in California for the same job. Maybe even $100K depending on the job.

The large number of houses with swimming pools even in ordinary neighborhoods in southern California is testament to that fact.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:11 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,252,541 times
Need to build the wall up the AZ/NV/ID borders with CA/OR/WA and close out the three Pacific states and hope for a giant earthquake to make all three states disappear.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:12 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,288,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
They will cooperate with them if required by a court order or mandated by law. They also will not release people who have criminal warrants.

They will not necesarilly recognize an ICE detainer just because the person is suspected of being here illegally (assuming no other crime), however. They will not do ICE's job for them.

They will not prevent ICE from doing their job, either. Perhaps ICE needs more personnel and resources?

For what it is worth, I'm not fully in agreement with the policy - but it's there, and I don't think it is legally wrong.

This issue has come before the Supreme court in the past:
http://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarc...1p.pdf#page=19
https://bipartisanpolicy.org/blog/sa...ners-a-primer/
Local agencies never did ICEs job. ICE did ICEs job. Just like a local agency has to work with FBI, DEA, ATF, etc. They should be able to work with ICE. This policy is specifically targeting ICE, let's not pretend we don't know why.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:13 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I think we just disagree. To me, if they aren’t cooperating, they’re preventing ICE from doing their job, at least in part.

There’s an emphasis on protecting the people here illegally rather than looking after the citizens. California is really messed up.
Take it up with the Supreme Court. They'll likely not rule in your favor, though (this has been looked at in the past).

I don't fully agree with the policy (I would be fine for there to be limited cooperation with ICE as long as ICE was willing to commit more resources and manpower to solve this federal issue), but it is what it is.

I don't agree with your last statement. CA does a lot to look after its citizens - often at its own expense (see: budget or housing regulations that heavily favor people already here).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies