Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 06:16 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,914,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
The person making 50k a year in alabama has a house with a pool. the person making 50k in California is living in poverty.
I could likely buy a very nice home with my salary in Alabama. But I have incredibly limited job opportunities in Alabama (I doubt I would be able to find anything not at a University, where pay is generally very low), so it is not an apples-to-apples comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 06:19 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,037 times
Quote:
The person making 50k a year in alabama has a house with a pool. the person making 50k in California is living in poverty.
Kids coming out of college can make $80k (or $120k in some cases) to start here... not at all unusual. That's why prices are high... salaries are also high. Remember too that the $1m house they buy in LA, SF or SD has a good chance of becoming $2m (or $3m, in Bay Area) after 5 years. Real estate here is not a bad investment.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:22 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Odds are a position that would pay $50k in California would pay $30k in Alabama. You aren't going to get the same wage for the same job in a cheap state ffs

Old 09-22-2017, 06:33 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Kids coming out of college can make $80k (or $120k in some cases) to start here... not at all unusual. That's why prices are high... salaries are also high. Remember too that the $1m house they buy in LA, SF or SD has a good chance of becoming $2m (or $3m, in Bay Area) after 5 years. Real estate here is not a bad investment.
It doesn't seem bad at all. However, for someone who wants to move to the West Coast from a place like Georgia or Texas, it isn't that simple. I live in Georgia. I'd rather be in the Pacific Northwest or parts of California than where I'm at. I stay put because I don't just show up somewhere without a job or place to stay lined up.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:40 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It doesn't seem bad at all. However, for someone who wants to move to the West Coast from a place like Georgia or Texas, it isn't that simple. I live in Georgia. I'd rather be in the Pacific Northwest or parts of California than where I'm at. I stay put because I don't just show up somewhere without a job or place to stay lined up.
You could (many do) but your bank account would take a hit until you find a job. To me, I had a chance to move to a much lower priced area but the risk of not being able to find a job (because there are less jobs) has always kept me tethered to the major cities. Expensive, yes, but it gives you more options. Just my perspective. Depends a lot on your industry.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:03 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,446,597 times
"Why aren't their working class CITIZENS speaking up?"

They are..but you don't speak Spanish, right?

Old 09-22-2017, 07:46 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
You could (many do) but your bank account would take a hit until you find a job. To me, I had a chance to move to a much lower priced area but the risk of not being able to find a job (because there are less jobs) has always kept me tethered to the major cities. Expensive, yes, but it gives you more options. Just my perspective. Depends a lot on your industry.
In my case, I simply don't have the money or connections to do so. I'm currently unemployed (and unemployment benefits just ran out). If I were to just get up and leave, and go west, I would be on the streets. Many do show up in certain places with no jobs. Many of those persons end up on the streets.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:10 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,749,349 times
Quote:
Very few kids coming out of college are making that amount. Most other kids can't get a job or stuck working at fast food and asking "Would you like fries with that?"

Old 09-22-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Need to build the wall up the AZ/NV/ID borders with CA/OR/WA and close out the three Pacific states and hope for a giant earthquake to make all three states disappear.
Or Just let Kim Jong nuke Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles and CA/OR/WA will be deep red real quick.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Without California, the US would DEFINITELY fall into 2nd world status (if it's not already there).
Yet lots of neighborhoods and areas in California resembles Venezuela or Bangladesh.

California hates middle class taxpayers and they favor illegals that are poor and haven't spent a day in school. Once all the middle class taxpayers move out, California will fall into third world status real quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies