Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2017, 10:27 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,924,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Taking a step back. There is no evidence what so ever that there's some grand conspiracy where all the police are targeting black people. Black people are just committing crimes at a disproportionate rates, not only in comparison to whites but in comparison to every other race too. The primary victims of their crimes are other black people so the police need to be in their neighborhoods to protect black people from other black people resulting in more encounters with police.
Quote:
Ferguson’s law enforcement practices are shaped by the City’s focus on revenue rather
than by public safety needs. This emphasis on revenue has compromised the institutional
character of Ferguson’s police department, contributing to a pattern of unconstitutional policing,
and has also shaped its municipal court, leading to procedures that raise due process concerns
and inflict unnecessary harm on members of the Ferguson community. Further, Ferguson’s
police and municipal court practices both reflect and exacerbate existing racial bias, including
racial stereotypes. Ferguson’s own data establish clear racial disparities that adversely impact
African Americans. The evidence shows that discriminatory intent is part of the reason for these
disparities. Over time, Ferguson’s police and municipal court practices have sown deep mistrust
between parts of the community and the police department, undermining law enforcement
legitimacy among African Americans in particular.
https://www.justice.gov/sites/defaul...ent_report.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
dude, I never said children should be forced to stand up.

I said, "it is not a bad thing."

sheesh

I even said, "to me, it is teaching the kids self discipline and structure. but if you want to teach your children other things, feel free." Not good enough for you? Do I must agree with your every damn word?
I'm simply asking you a question.
Would you support swapping out any of the above activities with the recitation of the pledge in order to teach children about doing something you don't like?

Old 10-01-2017, 10:30 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
I'm simply asking you a question.
Would you support swapping out any of the above activities with the recitation of the pledge in order to teach children about doing something you don't like?
wow are you serious?

I simply said, "it is not a bad thing to teach your children structure and self discipline. But if you don't want your children to stand up, feel free."

I don't know who is intolerant here. certainly not me.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:34 AM

25,776 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I doubt even he knows.

I'd guess it's vaguely a whine about right wing nutjobs facing consequences for their "protests."

Mind you, nutjob right wing wingers are able to "protest" by staging an armed takeover of a federal facility and face no consequences...
Oh, "he" knows exactly what he is talking about. So do you. But if you were to admit it, you would expose your hypocrisy; so rather, you will engage in one, or several of, the panic-mode tactic your side knows so well: ad hominem attack followed by diversion followed by a simple "WTF?" Always seems to work for you guys, doesn't it?

Old 10-01-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
wow are you serious?

I simply said, "it is not a bad thing to teach your children structure and self discipline.
Quote:
(You have to do things you don't want to do sometimes.)
Right, so would you support swapping out any of the above activities with standing for the pledge in order to teach children self-discipline and structure?

Old 10-01-2017, 10:36 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Right, so would you support swapping out any of the above activities with standing for the pledge in order to teach children self-discipline and structure?
I think standing for the pledge is a good opportunity to teach the kids self discipline and structure.

NO more/less.

This (standing for the pledge) is the school rule or tradition (whichever word you like to use) . If school changed the rule or the tradition, then i am fine with it too.

What I don't like is this, "I don't like it, so eliminate it." It is not all or nothing for me.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:38 AM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Taking a step back. There is no evidence what so ever that there's some grand conspiracy where all the police are targeting black people. Black people are just committing crimes at a disproportionate rates, not only in comparison to whites but in comparison to every other race too. The primary victims of their crimes are other black people so the police need to be in their neighborhoods to protect black people from other black people resulting in more encounters with police.
Never read the DOJ report on the Ferguson PD, did you? A lovely depiction on how rotten city government, police and even lower courts can collude to extract the maximum revenue from those who can't fight bsck very well.

But you do have a sliver of a point: A corrupt police department won't actually care that much about skin color, they care about their victims' ability to defend themselves. Bossing around poor people is much easier than those who have the resources to put up a fight in court.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:39 AM

10,491 posts, read 4,051,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Him understanding and conveying why he is doing it should also be part of the equation. Otherwise he is parroting that which he sees without knowing why. Which is in and of itself detrimental to him as he grows up.
Reminds me of the little Black boy who voted for Trump in some mock election at school, and his mom was so furious, she video taped herself cussing her baby out and throwing him out into the street, and not once did she stop and think, he was probably voting for the "You'r Fired!" TV celebrity, and not because of his political beliefs.......

It's sad that parents get so caught up in politics, they are willing to abuse their child in blind rage......

Old 10-01-2017, 10:40 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,960,165 times
[quote=nononsenseguy;49687977]When I was young and started school, we were taught to respect the flag and that we were fortunate to live in a free country. Patriotism was regarded as honorable and virtuous. Patriots weren't spat upon. We defended the right to free speech as well. That was part of being an American. No one had to be forced to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. We did it out of love for country.

If we didn't have that kind of patriotism, this country would have been destroyed many decades ago. If you don't care enough for your country to respect the flag and stand up for it, perhaps you don't belong here.[/
QUOTE]

Damn best post I have seen on this subject and I agree 100%. The left this day and time seems to be going against anything patriotic and love of country. SAD!

Old 10-01-2017, 10:42 AM

10,491 posts, read 4,051,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Why do Conservatives hate the Constitution? or at least every part of it besides the 2nd Amendment?
I could say the same, if not worse, for the Liberals. Last I looked, it's mostly conservatives being beat up and attacked by liberal whacko's, not the other way around. How many conservatives were shut down from speaking at colleges? And oh, don't get me started on the freedom of religion. What group is suing a baker because he didn't want to bake a cake for a gay wedding because it went against his religion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies