Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 02:52 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,678,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
The Supreme Court has already ruled that it is unconstitutional to force students to stand and recite the Pledge.

Can Schools Force Students to Stand for the Pledge?
Yup but you can make them stay in the Hall till it's done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 02:53 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,641,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Wow. It took more than a page and a half, more than fifteen minutes, before the desperate liberals started shouting, "Hey, look over there! Russia! Russia!"

You guys must have woken up really late this morning.
you might want to catch up with the news. Putin's boy have indeed been caught promoting both sides of this issue in order to stoke hate and anger.

and frankly two months ago you were not posting ANYTHING about kids opting out of the pledge. Thus you are just jumping on the bandwagon of hate and bull.

kids have been opting out of the pledge for many many years. and YES your promoting this story is EXACTLY what putin hoped for...

Old 09-30-2017, 02:54 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
Why do Conservatives hate the Constitution? or at least every part of it besides the 2nd Amendment?

10,007 posts, read 11,170,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Learning to be an American means learning that he has the right to take a knee should he choose to.

If I was the mother, I'd tell the teacher, "thanks for letting me know, but I don't see the problem."

And then tell the son that he was completely within his rights.
Does the kid even know WHY he is kneeling. Hell does anybody know why at this point?

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
I don't know what's worse: indoctrinating a child to stand at attention for an oath he doesn't understand or indoctrinating a child to kneel in defiance of an oath he doesn't understand.

9,837 posts, read 4,641,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Yup but you can make them stay in the Hall till it's done.
not in my state. in my state the child is required to simply display respect by remaining silent and not distracting folk.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:56 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes, like all the flag-waving, bible-thumping 'Murka folks who don't seem to have a good grasp of The Constitution.

And btw, standing for the pledge because 'everyone else is doing it' and not really understanding why is just as bad as kneeling for it and not really understanding why.
Correct. Students reciting the Pledge without having a clue of the meaning behind the words is pointless. Forced patriotism is not patriotism at all.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:01 PM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
DH went all through school with a kid whose religion put him in the hall when the Pledge was recited.

I suspect that 1st grader has had some conversations with his parents regarding his position. We had a daughter in the 2nd.grade when Goldwater was running. Her teacher informed the class that if LBJ didn't win, the world would come to an end. We had many dinner conversations about everybody's position. That's what we did at family dinner every night. Current events. The kids joked that if they didn't have a position on an issue they didn't get dessert.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:02 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,147,065 times
Quote:
Umm, no, he doesn't. Any more than the football players do, to "protest" in the middle of their workday in the middle of their workplace (stadium) under supervision of their boss (coach, manager or team owner). Or in a classroom under supervision of a teacher.

He can take a knee during recess, or when walking to at from school. Then he can make a fool of himself all he wants, backing a nonsense "protest" on his own time, instead of doing it during a standard ritual in which all participate.
One little problem.

You're comparing private entities to government entities (which public schools are). Public school teachers are essentially government employees. Although widespread public schooling wasn't considered centuries ago, I'm pretty sure the Constitution didn't indicate anywhere that the 1A doesn't apply to pupils.

Not to mention, unlike professional sports or employment, kids do not have an option to stop going to that school, at least not without action from their parents.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:05 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,678,119 times
Quote:
Big-govt leftists have been relying for more than a century on a few key principles for pushing their agenda onto people who aren't paying much attention... which is most Americans in our case.
(a) Publish what you want them to believe as widely as possible, so they will take for granted that it's true and legitimate without checking. If it's getting that many headlines, it must be true, right?; and
(b) Proselytize the young, who are eager for spectacular and simple "solutions" and more likely to take your word without thinking things through.

Both are seen going full blast as various sports figures are kneeling or sitting during playings of the National Anthem at televised sports events. None of these "protesting" players ever mention that more black people are shot or killed by black policemen than by white policemen (despite the smaller number of black policemen on the force). They simply announce that whites are the problem, and hope people take their word for it. Corrections, if any, only come hours later on news broadcasts, and only a few of those.

Now the leftists' poison is spreading farther and farther, as facts lag for behind wishful thinking, as the leftists had hoped. A 1st grader took a knee during the daily recitation of the Pledge of Alliegence in his school classroom. Do you suppose the 6-year-old kid had any clue of the reality of the feigned "plague of racism" the leftists claim is at work, despite all facts?

----------------------------------------------

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/scho...161226337.html
How schools are dealing with students taking a knee during the national anthem

Kerry JustichSeptember 30, 2017

(snip)

....it wasn’t until a 6-year-old boy went down on one knee in his classroom during the pledge of allegiance that parents began to realize that the political issue may need their attention.

In a first-grade classroom in Pasco County, Fla., on Monday, a young boy was reprimanded by his teacher for kneeling during the Pledge of Allegiance. Without being offered an opportunity to discuss his reasoning behind the action, the boy was told to stand up and stop his protest.

“I just wanted to let you know that this morning when it was time to do the Pledge of Allegiance, [your son] went down on one knee,” the student’s teacher told his mother through a text message. “I knew where he had seen it but I did tell him that in the classroom we are learning what it means to be a good citizen we’re learning about respecting the United States of America and our country symbols and showing loyalty and patriotism and that we stand for the Pledge of Allegiance. I know its a sensitive issue but I wanted to make you aware. Thanks”

The boy’s mother immediately took her case to the school’s principal, requesting that her son be placed in a different class.

(snip)
still trying to understand how exercising your constitutional rights is a "leftest position???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies