Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 11:53 AM

5,746 posts, read 4,707,807 times

Advertisements

We already have countless laws and measures in place against guns. More laws won't really do anything. Calling for "gun control" is just an emotional "feel good" reaction.

CRIMINALS DON'T ABIDE BY LAWS!

You can make all the laws you want; bad things will still happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 11:54 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,359,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Hmmmm, just here marking time to catch up later.

Such as to re-note that the technology of some of the features of guns today predate the Constitution by decades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puckle_gun

An exchangeable magazine, decent rate of fire, and predates the Constitution by about 60 years or so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalthoff_repeater

This rifle could fire every 2-3 seconds and it predates the Constitution by over 100 years.

Even if we say, "Well, they were impractical back then," the point still stands that proof of concept of what weapons could become existed when the Constitution was written.

Please, carry on, I'll check back tonight....assuming the thread is still open, that is.
You're exactly right. It's the fundamental principles of the Constitution and Bill of Rights that count. That has nothing to do with the technology of the times. Or technology at all.

If that were the case then the 1st Amendment would only apply to the print media, quills and parchment or a platform on the town square. "Hear ye, Hear ye".

The founders had no idea that there would be TV, radio or the internet. But they weren't so stupid to believe that technology wouldn't advance into the future. They could certainly see what technology was hundreds of years before their time and see how it had advanced since then. I'm sure they didn't think we'd be stuck in the 1700's forever.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:55 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Repeal the second amendment, ban all guns except revolvers, double-barrel shotguns, and single-shot rifles. Start the process of taking them out of circulation, stop pretending it is impossible when most countries have successfully accomplished the same.
I want a single shot rifle. 20MM Take-Down Rifle - Anzio Ironworks

Old 10-03-2017, 11:56 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,782,559 times
How about we re-implement the intention of the 2nd Amendment. Well trained-state militias bearing arms for the purpose of protection from a tyrannical government.

1 man owning 42 guns, including semi-automatics that act like machine guns to mow down 22,000 people was not the purpose of the creation of the 2nd Amendment. The Supreme Court was wrong on this ruling, just like on Citizens United.

You all claim to cling to Originalist Constitutional scholarship, yet ignore the entire purpose of the 2nd Amendment.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:58 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,782,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
We already have countless laws and measures in place against guns. More laws won't really do anything. Calling for "gun control" is just an emotional "feel good" reaction.

CRIMINALS DON'T ABIDE BY LAWS!

You can make all the laws you want; bad things will still happen.
That's correct, but we can try not making it easier for criminals to commit crimes.

Australia did a massive crack down on gun ownership, and they haven't had a mass shooting in 21 years. Will one happen at some point? Probably, but obviously making it harder for criminals to do it is just common sense.

There is absolutely no question the United States has a massive gun violence issue that is not prevalent in any other industrialized nation.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:01 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I want a single shot rifle. 20MM Take-Down Rifle - Anzio Ironworks

I have no problem with high-powered rifles

a 20mm rifle just sounds impractical though

Old 10-03-2017, 12:02 PM

29,511 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Again, the most important thing is the rights of gun nuts.

They super-cede any and all other rights or concerns anyone may have.

The most important thing, again, is that powerless man-children have their toys to stroke while fantasizing about a race war or communist insurrection. We must adjust all laws, including those which commit people to mental health institutions, to make sure that unfettered access to weapons is our first priority.
So someone that embraces the 2nd amendment is a nut ? You are focusing your angst at the wrong people, maybe you should be blowing up the phone of your local congressperson to ratify the 2A.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:03 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
This is so nuts it's not even worthy of debate.

1. So anyone ever convicted of any kind of felony must serve life in prison without parole? Because currently any ex-felon is barred from owning firearms unless they successfully petion to get their rights restored. Your idea would have anyone released from prison being eligible. You would be weakening current laws.

4. So much for the First Amendment.

6. You mean parents should go to prison for life without parole if their kid kills someone with a gun?
"Impose a mandatory 10 years minimum sentence without parole for anybody committing any felony with any arm, not just guns. The second time, the person gets life without parole."

Old 10-03-2017, 12:04 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,306,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post

The founders had no idea that there would be TV, radio or the internet. But they weren't so stupid to believe that technology wouldn't advance into the future. They could certainly see what technology was hundreds of years before their time and see how it had advanced since then. I'm sure they didn't think we'd be stuck in the 1700's forever.

Repeating firearm technology was already in its infancy at the time of the writing of the 2A.

One of the reasons the antis always lose out in the end is that simply they do not know squat about the issue they love to talk about....

Old 10-03-2017, 12:04 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,369,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Again, the most important thing is the rights of gun nuts.

They super-cede any and all other rights or concerns anyone may have.

The most important thing, again, is that powerless man-children have their toys to stroke while fantasizing about a race war or communist insurrection. We must adjust all laws, including those which commit people to mental health institutions, to make sure that unfettered access to weapons is our first priority.
Yep, lets put all gun owners in a box. I think you have that wrong that gun owners think of their guns as toys and dream of the day of war between Americans so they can shoot somebody.

In this forum there is some on the left that are very pro 2nd amendment are they gun nuts too? Wonder if they are dreaming of the day of civil unrest so they can shoot somebody?

I have a AR15 and other but I hope to live my life of never pointing a gun at anyone I pray no body breaks into my house. And I am sure that most law abiding guns owners feel the same since the majority of them have never shot at anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies