Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2017, 03:47 PM

20,110 posts, read 9,028,155 times

Advertisements

so many hurt feelings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 03:52 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I agree with catgirl64! I was taught to answer if asked and keep quiet if not asked. In any language. These kids are just being rude and should be dismissed form that class until they learn to keep quiet. Keeping quiet is one of the first types of discipline required to learn anything.

If some spoiled little darling gets hurt feelings from being chastised. Well that is part of learning. Getting your feelings hurt is the very least that life is going to dish out. It can and will get a lot worse.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:55 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
When in a class where English is spoken, you speak English. To do otherwise is rude and disrespectful.

Outside the classroom they can speak whatever gibberish they desire.
"Gibberish" = code for any language that is not English.

Also, we don't know if class had actually been in session when this incident occurred. If it did not, the kids can speak whatever language they'd like.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I went to a department store and asked two people for a
certain item. They did not even know what I was asking for. Their English was bad. This is the new America.
Goodness gracious. America has ALWAYS had first gen immigrants who had difficulty mastering the English language and/or had heavy accents. This is nothing new.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
American is American English. English has various dialects and even different words and spelling (I.E. British English and Australian English).
Its ALL English with different accents. Shall we start qualify English "dialects" here in America? I speak Northern US English but my friend in Texas speaks South Central US English. However, my cousin in Cali, she speaks West Coast English.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I did something about it, my daughter is in parochial school, where English is spoken, those that speak another in class unsolicited is reminded to speak English.

So yes I did something about it.
"I did something about it, my daughter is in parochial school, where English is spoken, those that speak another in class unsolicited are reminded to speak English."

I corrected your English grammar for you.

If students are on their own time, including at the beginning or end of class when good ole teach' is hanging out in the hallway, they can speak whatever they language they so choose.

Furthermore, the thing you did - paying out the wazoo for parochial school - just to avoid your daughter having to :gasp: hear foreign languages? Meh. I can find better things to spend thousands of dollars a year on than "protecting" my children from the sound of foreign tongues.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Glad the kids are bilingual I guess its unreasonable to expect students in an American classroom to speak English or American which is different than UK English. Of course these may be the same kids down the road complaining that the school system failed to teach them.... But its all about them so that's ok..
One of the students in question is currently learning a third language - French. I wonder if ole teach' would have had her panties in a twist if the kids were speaking that language instead of Spanish. Bet not.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Strange, but typical, that the libs are focusing on the teacher's use of the wrong word in this instance opposed to the disruptive behavior of these entitled students, who think they can do whatever they want to & whenever they want to - even after being asked to STOP by their teacher. An authority figure.

It was no biggie when Obama had visited 57 states with one left to go or spoke about all of those corpse-men.
Strange, but typical, that a certain segment of commentators are focusing on the fact that the kids were speaking Spanish instead of supposedly being disruptive.

Was it a biggie when Trump relayed his conversation with the VI president? Or when he was decrying 17 years of the ACA? Or when he told us that the US bombed Iraq? How about when he called 9/11 7-11?

Old 10-19-2017, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
But... it's still not acceptable to allow those Hispanic students to chatter in Spanish while class is being taught. It's disrespectful to their school teachers and fellow students to be doing that.

Being bilingual is a great job skill, and clearly those Hispanic students are already fluent in Spanish. And to become truly bilingual, those students NEED to only be speaking in English while at their American public school. And speaking in Spanish IS very divisive, and being not very nice to their fellow students.
1. Then address the behavior, not the language being spoken.

2. Spanish is very divisive? Uh no. Its a centuries old language. Just because some people don't like it because it hurts their poor wittle 'Murican feelings doesn't change that fact.

3. My son goes to a school with a high proportion of Latin and Hispanic kids. Nearly all of them can speak both Spanish and English fluently. They are TRULY bilingual even if they do choose to speak Spanish between themselves.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Where my wife used to work the company rule was that one must speak English while on the clock, breaks and lunches were the exception and safety was one of the issues. You had to be able to speak English in order to get hired so it's not like everyone didn't know how to. A memo was posted on the bulletin board about it because many native Spanish speakers refused to comply. They tore the memo off the board and tossed it into the trash. The company was too cowardly to actually enforce their own rules so the native Spanish speakers continued arrogantly to do what the hell they wanted to do.
The company was smart to not enforce the rule. That rule is illegal. And rightfully so.

From the EEOC:

Quote:
[R]ules requiring employees to speak only English in the workplace violate the law unless they are reasonably necessary to the operation of the business. A rule requiring employees to speak only English in the workplace at all times, including breaks and lunch time, will rarely be justified. An English-only rule should be limited to the circumstances in which it is needed for the employer to operate safely or efficiently. Circumstances in which an English-only rule may be justified include: communications with customers or coworkers who only speak English; emergencies or other situations in which workers must speak a common language to promote safety; cooperative work assignments in which the English-only rule is needed to promote efficiently. Even if there is a need for an English-only rule, an employer may not take disciplinary action against an employee for violating the rule unless the employer has notified workers about the rule and the consequence of violating it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies