Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2017, 09:22 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Strange, but typical, that the libs are focusing on the teacher's use of the wrong word in this instance opposed to the disruptive behavior of these entitled students, who think they can do whatever they want to & whenever they want to - even after being asked to STOP by their teacher. An authority figure.

It was no biggie when Obama had visited 57 states with one left to go or spoke about all of those corpse-men.
Disruptive students? Oh, the horror. Write them up or give them a stern warning and that's it.

But a teacher telling them to speak "American"? Well...considering the source, I see why you're taking the stance you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 09:58 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Exactly. And those students will have a better future in America if they only speak English in school and later at whatever jobs they get. If they prefer speaking Spanish, then they should move back to whatever home country their parents came from.

English is the language of America. Plus those students clearly have no respect for their teacher(s), and that's them and their families not appreciating being in America and benefiting from going to our free public schools.

IMO it's extremely rude of anyone to be speaking in another language in any classroom when the class is being taught in English. And the odds are that those students were not talking about the class topic in a productive way while they were speaking in Spanish.

Exactly!

Old 10-18-2017, 10:03 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
There is a two-step easy fix to this situation. Step 1 is to make it easier to expel disruptive students; step 2 is to require students in schools that receive public funding to speak American English (outside of foreign language courses, of course).
Step 2 would require revocation of the 1st Amendment. A student has the right to speak any language they choose.

Why does a student speaking Spanish to a classmate trigger the conservative snowflakes so easily?

Old 10-18-2017, 10:37 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
eh...not exactly

American.....or American English is a language

when my G-Grandfather came over from the kingdom of Austria, he could speak, read, and write 7 different languages (one of them the not defunked actual Austrian language), none of them English....the FIRST thing he did was learn the language....after that he became a citizen...his words..."I am an American, I will speak American"
Poor Great Grandpa! He could speak 7 languages and his great-grandson can't speak one. It's defunct not defunked, unless you were implying that Hip-Hopless Hapsburgs have gone extinct! I guess that explains the workingclass part of your name! Thank you for the English lesson!

Old 10-18-2017, 11:23 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Step 2 would require revocation of the 1st Amendment. A student has the right to speak any language they choose.

Why does a student speaking Spanish to a classmate trigger the conservative snowflakes so easily?
Ridiculous comment. Students have limited rights under the 1st Amendment while in school, just ask the 9th circuit. Plus, SCOTUS allows time, place, and manner restrictions. Here, the manner is English.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:28 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times
I live in Los Angeles and used to volunteer with at-risk youth and taught for a short while at an inner city high school. Many of the kids were Hispanic and very few of their parents could speak more than very limited English - and they'd been here for years. I once had a Hispanic older man who didn't speak English if it was okay to park in certain spot - he didn't know because he was unable to read the parking rule signs. I was trying to talk to the laundry attendant about fluff and fold service but her limited English made me think twice about ability to understand my directions as to washing my clothes - so I left.
There are free English classes all over the place. I don't understand why people don't take advantage of them as it would make their lives a lot easier.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:34 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
In the workplace is someone does not speak the language it is a safety issue. How can one relate if they don't understand English and speak only spanish. Get a clue. Learn the language as the past immigrants did or tried to do.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:56 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Actually, being bi-lingual is an advantage for any prospective employee, in any field.
But... it's still not acceptable to allow those Hispanic students to chatter in Spanish while class is being taught. It's disrespectful to their school teachers and fellow students to be doing that.

Being bilingual is a great job skill, and clearly those Hispanic students are already fluent in Spanish. And to become truly bilingual, those students NEED to only be speaking in English while at their American public school. And speaking in Spanish IS very divisive, and being not very nice to their fellow students.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:39 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
In the workplace is someone does not speak the language it is a safety issue. How can one relate if they don't understand English and speak only spanish. Get a clue. Learn the language as the past immigrants did or tried to do.

Where my wife used to work the company rule was that one must speak English while on the clock, breaks and lunches were the exception and safety was one of the issues. You had to be able to speak English in order to get hired so it's not like everyone didn't know how to. A memo was posted on the bulletin board about it because many native Spanish speakers refused to comply. They tore the memo off the board and tossed it into the trash. The company was too cowardly to actually enforce their own rules so the native Spanish speakers continued arrogantly to do what the hell they wanted to do.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:44 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
But... it's still not acceptable to allow those Hispanic students to chatter in Spanish while class is being taught. It's disrespectful to their school teachers and fellow students to be doing that.

Being bilingual is a great job skill, and clearly those Hispanic students are already fluent in Spanish. And to become truly bilingual, those students NEED to only be speaking in English while at their American public school. And speaking in Spanish IS very divisive, and being not very nice to their fellow students.
They shouldn't be chattering in any language when class is being taught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies