Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 08:41 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I can absolutely determine that 99.9% of people living within the borders of the USA - where it has been common knowledge for 200 years that English is the common tongue of business and government - are here VOLUNTARILY and on their own accord. Therefore, they are not FORCED to speak English, because they signed onto THAT social compact by deciding to move here in the first place.

Even the Puerto Ricans can stay on the Island if they don't want to speak English. But once they hop to the mainland. Well, time to learn it. It's not only how immigrants speak with Americans.... but also how immigrants of different backgrounds speak to EACH OTHER.

If you are an immigrant and you move to another country, you're a damned idiot if you cry about having to speak the language of the land. I mean, honestly, what kind of dummy are you to think you need to be accommodated? We accommodate because we are NICE ENOUGH to do it. And tons of immigrants who don't come from a major linguistic group NEVER get accommodation the way Spanish speakers do.

Honestly, just leave if you don't like it. There's a line 100 years long of people behind you who WILL respect the culture and language of this country that MAKES it an immigration DESTINATION as compared to somewhere people have to LEAVE.

Not only should they learn English but adopt it as their primary language of usage out in mainstream. Why come here if you don't want to assimilate into our society? Are we just a land of opportunity and cash cow to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 08:58 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Not only should they learn English but adopt it as their primary language of usage out in mainstream. Why come here if you don't want to assimilate into our society? Are we just a land of opportunity and cash cow to them?
See here's the thing. When you're confrontational to somebody, you put them on the defensive. People have a tendency to rebel when you're trying to force yourself onto them. Your tone, and those who think like you, have a confrontational tone that puts people on the defensive. You want cooperation, then stop talking down to us and telling us what to do like you're our boss, because you're not. You can take that to the bank.
I speak whatever the hell I want, and there ain't a damn thing you or anybody else are gonna do about it. You don't like it, too bad. This is how you're coming across to people. You're not gonna like it, so how do you think we feel? This is the same exact issue certain white people have with African-Americans speaking Ebonics.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:59 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Being humiliated and forced to is different than being encouraged to and wanting to. How would you know anyway? You weren't alive, or you were too young to remember
Show me a 16 year old high school girl who gets singled out in class as not being embarrassed; it goes with the territory. The students initial comment was "I laughed, because, first of all, that's not a language," as for "being forced to" this is an American school speak the language just as my kids would have to learn the native tongue if we lived in their countries. How do I know what? Are you talking what my grandparents told me or that fact that most adults growing up spoke a 2nd or third language or what subjects were taught in my High School?

Old 10-19-2017, 09:04 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
See here's the thing. When you're confrontational to somebody, you put them on the defensive. People have a tendency to rebel when you're trying to force yourself onto them. Your tone, and those who think like you, have a confrontational tone that puts people on the defensive. You want cooperation, then stop talking down to us and telling us what to do like you're our boss, because you're not. You can take that to the bank.
I speak whatever the hell I want, and there ain't a damn thing you or anybody else are gonna do about it. You don't like it, too bad. This is how you're coming across to people. You're not gonna like it, so how do you think we feel? This is the same exact issue certain white people have with African-Americans speaking Ebonics.
Why be disrespectful? Being disrespectful causes resentment. Its as if you and others are purposely being hostile.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:05 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:

Except continue to exclude language holdouts and non-assimilants from business and social advancement while you simultaneously decry economic inequalities and lack of opportunities, of course.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:08 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Except continue to exclude language holdouts and non-assimilants from business and social advancement while you simultaneously decry economic inequalities and lack of opportunities, of course.
Then that's on them. That's their fault, but don't you insult me or talk down to me because I don't feel like speaking English right then and there

Old 10-19-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Exactly, the clear implication from the teacher is that Americans don't speak Spanish, which is not true and is an appallingly racist thing for a teacher to say to students.
Maybe she should have said it differently. But purposely speaking foreign languages in an non foreign language learning class is disruptive and hostile.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Then that's on them. That's their fault, but don't you insult me or talk down to me because I don't feel like speaking English right then and there
You create the environment. Respect is given when respected. It goes both ways.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:13 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Maybe she should have said it differently. But purposely speaking foreign languages in an non language learning class is disruptive and hostile.
Hostile to snowflakes who are so fragile, they can't handle anyone speaking "Amurican".

Old 10-19-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Hostile to snowflakes who are so fragile, they can't handle anyone speaking "Amurican".
Hostile to anyone.
Seems like you can't handle being called out on being respectful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies