Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 10:11 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The student was not speaking Navajo and she was not having a private phone call. She was disrupting class. The teacher did the right thing. Hopefully ICE is on the case.

WTH - ICE in the school ? completely lost it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 10:11 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,956,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Goodness gracious. America has ALWAYS had first gen immigrants who had difficulty mastering the English language and/or had heavy accents. This is nothing new.
But if someone is going to be working a job where they are speaking to customers, as in taratova's example, they need to learn the dominant language and smooth out the pronunciation so they are understandable.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:14 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,671,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
But more so because they were speaking Spanish, or else she wouldn't have said what she said.

If those students were speaking "American", I'm sure her warning would've gone much differently.

True. I can understand this.
If they were speaking English the teacher wouldn't have said it.

Last edited by All American NYC; 10-19-2017 at 10:23 AM..

Old 10-19-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
No, a lot is different. Today it is accepted, and promoted. There are a lot of signs, and literature in multiple languages. Go to some ATM machines, and you will get prompted for several different languages. This just encourages people NOT to learn English, and keeps them at a disadvantage socially, and economically.

Pres 1 for English, 2 for Spanish........ People that believe as you do are holding people back. Liberal/Progressives never think of the unintended consequences. You think you are being nice, but what these people really need is PRESSURE, and INCENTIVE to learn English, and you are holding that back, and doing them a disservice. If you don't speak English well in America you will make less money. Does that "feel" good to you?

FYI, I am 2nd generation American on my mother's side. My maternal grandparents came from Norway back in the 1920's. If they had come over now, they would not be helped by the multi-language signs and phone menus, etc. I have never seen anything printed with a Norwegian translation.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:19 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,671,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Only if you are a nativist snowflake. How is a student speaking Spanish more disruptive and hostile than a student speaking English? If the students were talking while the teacher was trying teach, the language they were speaking is irrelevant. If the students were talking to each other while people were getting seated and the real work had yet to begin, merely speaking Spanish was not disruptive and hostile to anyone.

If the mere sound of people speaking Spanish offends you, you are the one with the problem.
It's still disruptive. It was during class time and probably sounded like gibberish since she didn't understand. Knowing that the teacher is there to teach, the students were disrespectful to authority.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Spanish is centuries old and in my day you learned proper Castilian Spanish, Parisian French , etc. Among native Spaniards the versions spoken in the Western Hemisphere were considered improper just as the French view Canadian French or the English view American. As for you childish comments using the word "murican " it makes you sound like a teenager who's posting on social media.

Spanish cultures are not the first group to choose living in this country the difference with my relatives and most who came in previous generations is they wanted to be Americans and that included learning to speak English.
And yet I took Spanish starting in 8th grade, and continued it in college, and I was never taught the conjugations for verbs for the personal pronoun Vosotros. The explanation was that Spanish speakers in Latin America and the Caribbean don't use that, they use Ustedes when they want to say "You" in the plural sense. 4 years of high school Spanish (and I took the 1992 NYS Regents Exam - back in those days Regents was reserved for the top echelon of students) and 3 years of college Spanish.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The student was not speaking Navajo and she was not having a private phone call. She was disrupting class. The teacher did the right thing. Hopefully ICE is on the case.
My original post in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan
I'd have laughed if the student in question was speaking Navajo or another native American language.
Oldglory's answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory
Really? I don't see the comedy.
Which is why I posted that meme. Please learn to keep up.

And FYI, there are a lot of Puerto Ricans who live in NJ. My ex-bf and my best friend from college are two of them. Both of them are fluent in Spanish and English. Spanish language WXTV, Channel 41 (Univision) is based in Paterson, NJ.
So nice try automatically assuming that the students in question are illegal.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:01 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
It's still disruptive. since she didn't understand. the students were disrespectful to authority.
Do you ever stop and wonder how your words come across to others, and wonder why people take offense or think you're xenophobic, racist, what have you?

Old 10-19-2017, 11:03 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Not only should they learn English but adopt it as their primary language of usage out in mainstream. Why come here if you don't want to assimilate into our society? Are we just a land of opportunity and cash cow to them?
It isn't your society get that through your thick skull. The culture has always been fluid and has adapted to each new wave of immigrants contributing culture and vocabulary. If it bothers you to hear other languages tough.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:11 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,924,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I can absolutely determine that 99.9% of people living within the borders of the USA - where it has been common knowledge for 200 years that English is the common tongue of business and government
This is...misleading

The current year is 2017
200 years ago would have been 1817.

Here's a map of the United States from roughly 200 years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territ...1817-12-10.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies