Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 11:13 AM

62,974 posts, read 29,162,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
See here's the thing. When you're confrontational to somebody, you put them on the defensive. People have a tendency to rebel when you're trying to force yourself onto them. Your tone, and those who think like you, have a confrontational tone that puts people on the defensive. You want cooperation, then stop talking down to us and telling us what to do like you're our boss, because you're not. You can take that to the bank.
I speak whatever the hell I want, and there ain't a damn thing you or anybody else are gonna do about it. You don't like it, too bad. This is how you're coming across to people. You're not gonna like it, so how do you think we feel? This is the same exact issue certain white people have with African-Americans speaking Ebonics.

Confrontational? I have an opinion and I should be able to express it just as you do. What I said makes sense. Why be disrespectful when it's not necessary? There is a time and place for everything and only arrogant people totally disregard that. This topic is about being disrespectful in a classroom setting. I'm sure those students who did that know how to speak English so why speak in a foreign tongue under those circumstances?

As I said, why join our society if you don't want to assimilate out in mainstream? I don't care what one chooses to do in private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 11:14 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
speaking foreign languages in an non foreign language learning class is disruptive and hostile.
Venn diagram of people who complain about safe spaces on college campuses and people who think that foreign languages are "hostile"

Old 10-19-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
As I said, why join our society if you don't want to assimilate out in mainstream?
In 'Merica, society joins you.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:28 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,670,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Venn diagram of people who complain about safe spaces on college campuses and people who think that foreign languages are "hostile"
Never said in general a foreign language is hostile.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Do you ever stop and wonder how your words come across to others, and wonder why people take offense or think you're xenophobic, racist, what have you?
Can you see how that situation was disrespectful?

Old 10-19-2017, 11:34 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Confrontational? I have an opinion and I should be able to express it just as you do. What I said makes sense. Why be disrespectful when it's not necessary? There is a time and place for everything and only arrogant people totally disregard that. This topic is about being disrespectful in a classroom setting. I'm sure those students who did that know how to speak English so why speak in a foreign tongue under those circumstances?

As I said, why join our society if you don't want to assimilate out in mainstream? I don't care what one chooses to do in private.
You have the right to express your opinion, and I have the right to call you out on it. Classroom disruption is one thing, but calling someone out because they are speaking a language you don't like, is a whole other issue. You are the latter. This teacher, and you, wouldn't be talking nonsense if these were white students speaking German, and no one on here would be calling German "gibberish" or a "foreign tongue", which are loaded words

Old 10-19-2017, 11:35 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Can you see how that situation was disrespectful?
Nope, because it wasn't. Their behavior might have been, but not the language they were speaking. Learn to separate the two. Because you wouldn't be saying this, and neither would the teacher, if it had been black kids speaking Ebonics

Old 10-19-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Never said in general a foreign language is hostile.
Excusez moi, s'il vous plait, but I think you know precisely what I mean.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Nope, because it wasn't. Their behavior might have been, but not the language they were speaking. Learn to separate the two. Because you wouldn't be saying this, and neither would the teacher, if it had been black kids speaking Ebonics
The behavior and foreign language was disrespectful. They purposely were speaking out and purposely speaking a foreign language which the teacher didn't understand.The teacher could have said what was said differently. There was nothing wrong with the teacher telling the student to speak English. It's the teachers class and the teacher doesn't speak Spanish.

Respect goes a long way.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:08 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Clearly. I'll bet you're one of those who moans about the declining quality of public education, too, even as you defend this idiot English teacher who doesn't even realize that American is not a language.

Furthermore, I will speak anything I damn well please, and I'm not going anywhere.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
You're right, it isn't.

However, I once put a bag in a train station locker in Madrid that had 8 different language choices for displaying the instructions on the screen. One of the language choices was American. The 'American instructions', on average, probably communicated the necessary information most clearly to Americans. English was one of the other 7 choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies