Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2017, 10:54 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,304,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What, exactly, is wrong with that statement? Did he know what he signed up for? That military service might end up in the loss of his life? Did he have the courage to volunteer and do his job in spite of that?

Brain-dead liberals are so busy trying to twist Trumps words and find something that wasn't there, they look mentally ill.
Really? If you had just lost your son/daughter/brother/sister/husband/wife - would you be consoled by the words "They knew what they signed up for".? Would that make you feel comforted? Would that lessen the pain? Sheesh.

Last edited by London Girl; 10-17-2017 at 11:12 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 10:54 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What, exactly, is wrong with that statement? Did he know what he signed up for? That military service might end up in the loss of his life? Did he have the courage to volunteer and do his job in spite of that?

Brain-dead liberals are so busy trying to twist Trumps words and find something that wasn't there, they look mentally ill.
Couldn't say it better than the below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
The next time you have a co-worker, neighbor, or casual acquaintance who loses a child or young spouse in an accident, say to them "so sorry, but hey! s/he knew the risks!"
Let us know how that works out for you.
The fact you think people are twisting his words is just baffling. Good lord, the fact there are people that think like this saddens and sickens me to no end.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:56 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,537,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Hard to believe anyone would tell a widow that that it hurts anyway. Good Lord.

Perhaps a Teleprompter would help with these calls.
Let's give a little credit, at least he didn't offer warmest condolences and tell her to
have a good time.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:58 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,795,576 times
This is fake news.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:08 PM

26,580 posts, read 14,458,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
.... when he does they fuss about what was said.
because it was an idiotic thing to say to a widow.

i was sincere in my desire to see someone else write future condolence letters. trump lacks the empathy and competence for such an important task.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:09 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,800,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
because it was an idiotic thing to say to a widow.

i was sincere in my desire to see someone else write future condolence letters. trump lacks the empathy and competence for such an important task.
For me it would remind me that my husband was doing what he loved.
He still should have waited until next week to make these phone calls.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:10 PM

26,580 posts, read 14,458,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
This is fake news.
for it to be fake news would mean that trump didn't call the widow and/or didn't say what he's quoted as saying.

is that what you believe?

Old 10-17-2017, 11:20 PM

389 posts, read 470,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
As I wrote earlier, "He knew what he signed up for" is a compliment to the soldier, a way of saying he was a brave professional who chose to do a dangerous job, knowing the risks to his own safety.
That's not a compliment in that situation. A compliment would be him actually saying the soldier was brave, died for the freedoms of American citizens, and was an honorable young man. Saying he knew what he signed up for and laughing sarcastically is no compliment.

You are flat out wrong dark enlightenment.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:29 PM

389 posts, read 470,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
For me it would remind me that my husband was doing what he loved.
He still should have waited until next week to make these phone calls.
This is the president of the United States! Use your language skills and thank that widow for her husband's service in detail. Saying he knew what he signed up for, is something any bum off the street could do.

How about I'm so sorry for your loss, your husband was an honorable man, and a tremendous patriot for our great country. He paid the ultimate sacrifice and you have my condolences.

Compare that too... He knew what he signed up for. Please quit defending the defenseless. Don't lower the bar to make trump seem acceptable, raise it to make him and other politicians do better.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:00 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,142,490 times
I don't think Trump meant this in a malicious way, I just think he's a moron that has no filter

Most normal people know that you shouldn't blurt out every thought you have, even if they are true, so us normal intelligence people censor ourselves.

Sadly, this is the type of behavior that Trump supporters like, that he is not politically correct and says what he feels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies