Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 12:54 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
When the "consumer" is an economic pre-schooler who believes that "big companies" are nothing but a huge pile of money for he and his fellow point-and-grunts to loot -- I view this action as a positive for the rest of us who still go to work every day.
"Government knows best" is what libertarians are all about, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 12:54 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
When the "consumer" is an economic pre-schooler who believes that "big companies" are nothing but a huge pile of money for he and his fellow point-and-grunts to loot -- I view this action as a positive for the rest of us who still go to work every day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
We are a nation of INDIVIDUALS, not MOBS(classes).
You two have forgotten which team you’re on, just like in the Tort Reform debate.

Let me remind you...you’re not wealthy corporatists...and you don’t belong to the executive class. You are wage earning peons like the rest of us. You have no business supporting or advocating for pro-corporate laws that could come back and bite YOU in the ass should you be harmed. And believe me, being a conservative doesn’t make you any less susceptible to mendacity on the part of big business. You just weirdly think that it does.

I will never understand why people like yourselves who are nowhere near the top of the food chain, sees the need to advocate for the corporate class when they not only have billions of dollars to advocate for themselves, but they also spend those billions on their own advocacy to get over on you at every turn.

You folks are amazing...and not in a good way.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:56 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Speaking as someone who goes to work every day, would you mind explaining to me how protecting Equifax from lawsuits is beneficial for people like us?
Amen. There have been so many cases of corporate negligence over the last few years that it's mind-boggling that one would want to actually roll back these protections now.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:57 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Remember when Wells Fargo employees opened some 2 million fraudulent bank accounts? Well, they were all tied to accounts of existing customers. When said existing customers sought to sue Wells Fargo, on the reasonable claim that they did not give permission for these accounts (with the associated fees) to be opened, Wells Fargo pointed to the mandatory arbitration clause in said customers agreement.

Yes, Wells Fargo said, even though you did not authorize these accounts, because your contract with us on your legitimate accounts has the arbitration clause, then the clause applies likewise to the non-existing accounts!

Indeed, Wells Fargo succeeded in getting several courts to dismiss class action lawsuits against them, pointing to the arbitration clauses found in the 'real' contracts with the consumers.

Even in fraud cases, Wells Fargo customers are locked into arbitration - LA Times

Wells Fargo ended up paying some fines, due to political and public opinion pressure.

Of course, Wells Fargo is one of the companies that argued that said arbitration clauses actually benefits consumers. Congress has now agreed, rolling back a regulation that was about to go into play.

Such is life.
When you vote Republican.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:58 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You two have forgotten which team you’re on, just like in the Tort Reform debate.

Let me remind you...you’re not wealthy corporatists...and you don’t belong to the executive class. You are wage earning peons like the rest of us. You have no business supporting or advocating for pro-corporate laws that could come back and bite YOU in the ass should you be harmed. And believe me, being a conservative doesn’t make you any less susceptible to mendacity on the part of big business. You just weirdly think that it does.

I will never understand why people like yourselves who are nowhere near the top of the food chain, sees the need to advocate for the corporate class when they not only have billions of dollars to advocate for themselves, but they also spend those billions on their own advocacy to get over on you at every turn.

It probably makes them feel more powerful than they know they'll realistically ever be. Living vicariously through them.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:59 PM

Trump and the Republican Congress are really draining that swamp, aren’t they?

Old 10-25-2017, 01:01 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Speaking as someone who goes to work every day, would you mind explaining to me how protecting Equifax from lawsuits is beneficial for people like us?
Remember when I said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14
Now you watch how they all flock to this thread to defend the GOP stripping them of recourse against the big financial institutions. They will fall in line like the idiots they are. They are easy pickings for the Republican party.
Here comes one now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op
Yippie! Equifax will never be held accountable for allowing my personal information to be breached and keeping it secret for six months! This is such good news for me!

It sounds really stupid when you see it laid out like that, huh?

Old 10-25-2017, 01:01 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

I keep hearing how democrats have to stop with the race-baiting and try to embrace working class white America. When you read posts like the two you quote you have to ask why bother? These people are just so full of the crap they have been fed by the corporatists that they have no clue what side they should be on.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
It probably makes them feel more powerful than they know they'll realistically ever be. Living vicariously through them.
I will never understand that mindset. No matter how much corporate malfeasance there is, these people will slit their own throats on the alter of big business. It’s like an effin disease with these conservatives.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I keep hearing how democrats have to stop with the race-baiting and try to embrace working class white America. When you read posts like the two you quote you have to ask why bother? These people are just so full of the crap they have been fed by the corporatists that they have no clue what side they should be on.
Yep. Embrace the white working class for what?

Look at the Tort Reform debate if you really wanna see how far off the rails these folks have gone. It’s insane.

Texans actually voted to cap their own damn damages to 250k! What in the hell are you supposed to say to appeal to people with a mindset like that when they’re so frickin warped!! If you’re a Lilliputian like most of us, why in the hell would you deflate the tires on the ONLY weapon you have against corporate malfeasance?? You can’t reason with people like that.

Then you find documentaries of Texans who had some tragedy happen, and 250k won’t even begin to cover their damages, especially after lawyer fees. And they sit there with that stupid ass look on their faces as they tell you that they voted for the legislation because they thought it made sense at the time. But now, it doesn’t because it affects THEM negatively.

These people man...SMH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies