Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 03:09 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Re: capping exec salaries, I'm in favor of that if they take bailout money until they've paid it all back.
The CEO of GM would still have their pay capped.

Mary Barra was paid 16.2 million dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 03:18 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
It probably makes them feel more powerful than they know they'll realistically ever be. Living vicariously through them.
excellent point. many on the right seem to revel in destruction for the sake of it. From time to time they see a direct example like this and tell themselves it is no big deal...

Old 10-25-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
He shouldn't have allowed bailouts.

Bush and Obama thinking they could give my money to corporations is insane.
Sorry mate but that is just low information bunk, peddled by people with an agenda to shift blame.

As an investor i can tell you straight up the bailouts were limited, and a number of large companies went into bankruptcy. If the banks were not bailed out, if GM was not bailed out if fannie and freddie were not bailed out the situation today would be dire.

Tell me Pedro, who do you think has been acting as the primary purchaser of mortgages in the USA for the last 9 years? A good chunk of money has been spent to save our lending institutions and keep the housing market from complete failure. Without that prices would have collapsed to the point where the rich would have owned anything because there would have been little to no lenders available.

It was not the banks Obama was saving it was your butt. Was it the best way? the cleanest? nope not at all, but nobody seems to have had a better answer, it was the best of a bad lot.

Frankly it is tiresome explaining the same things here day after day, maybe you could search before posting.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:36 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,218,912 times
The GOP is showing it's true meaning. Give the banks free reign. Just like they did in 1999. Only took 8 years to bring on the Great Recession ( depression for most).

They are also showing you what will happen when they do their tax cut. A 130 % increase in National park fees (GOP for taxes). This is only the beginning as every fee and federal tax will need to be raised about that same amount to cover the cut to the top.

So do you really think you will see a tax cut. You will see higher utility rates from Nat. gas to electric, phone both land line and cell, internet, what a set of tires well expect to see a higher excise tax.

The GOP, who liked to project that the Dems. wanted to be like Southern Europe, will be creating the same tax system which caused the problems of Europe coming out of the Great Recession. Yeah they will do a real good job.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Given that the United States is the most litigious society on the planet, I am for tightening up on what we can sue for. Far to many frivolous lawsuits happen everyday. You can't watch late night TV without being bombarded with ambulance chaser commercials.
this has nothing to do with that. don't conflate the two issues .

Here is the question you need to ask.

Will trump sign it, and if he does will you finally understand he is not for the common man.

Trump has already delayed the Fiduciary rule and is currently trying to water it down and wait it out until everyone forgets. He did not seem to care a damn that it was designed to protect less financially sophisticated americans from predatory advisors. (ie your mom and dad, your sister's husband and such like)

Old 10-25-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Never agree to arbitration!
That in itself is stupid!
so will you still love trump when he signs your rights away to help his banking buddies..?

Or will you as i suspect pretend he did not do it, or dismiss it as "necessary and at least not hillary" because you guys are all out of good excuses for trump.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:46 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Sorry mate but that is just low information bunk, peddled by people with an agenda to shift blame.

As an investor i can tell you straight up the bailouts were limited, and a number of large companies went into bankruptcy. If the banks were not bailed out, if GM was not bailed out if fannie and freddie were not bailed out the situation today would be dire.
Dire I tell you, dire.

Quote:
Tell me Pedro, who do you think has been acting as the primary purchaser of mortgages in the USA for the last 9 years? A good chunk of money has been spent to save our lending institutions and keep the housing market from complete failure. Without that prices would have collapsed to the point where the rich would have owned anything because there would have been little to no lenders available.

It was not the banks Obama was saving it was your butt. Was it the best way? the cleanest? nope not at all, but nobody seems to have had a better answer, it was the best of a bad lot.

Frankly it is tiresome explaining the same things here day after day, maybe you could search before posting.
A lot of people had better answers. Wall Street wanted no part of those answers though and Wall Street runs things.

I remember arguing that GM simply needed to go through a bankruptcy. It was argued that things would be "dire" if that happened. It did happen.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:49 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,656,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
We are a nation of INDIVIDUALS, not MOBS(classes).
When an American making $40,000 a year is wronged by a large corporation for something like selling them medications that killed a family member that American does not have the financial resources to sue the corporation and their teams of attorneys.

The only way regular Americans can effectively sue large corporations is by class action lawsuits where many regular Americans come together as a group and combine their financial resources to take on a multi-billion dollar corporation and their teams of attorneys

Class Action Cases - FindLaw

You say "We are a nation of INDIVIDUALS" but I bet you have no problem with a large corporation having 100 lawyers working on a case against one regular American, but if 100 regular Americans get together to sue a large corporation (then you cry individualism and it becomes wrong and un-American.)

Last edited by chad3; 10-25-2017 at 03:58 PM..

Old 10-25-2017, 03:56 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,656,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
These are the GOP's true constituents. They've got the rubes conned into thinking the Republican party is watching out for them but this proves the opposite.

Now you watch how they all flock to this thread to defend the GOP stripping them of recourse against the big financial institutions. They will fall in line like the idiots they are. They are easy pickings for the Republican party.
I read the other day how Trump's first executive action as president was raising the cost of mortgages for millions of American home buyers.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...cuts/96853446/

Old 10-25-2017, 04:24 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post

Yippie! Equifax will never be held accountable for allowing my personal information to be breached and keeping it secret for six months! This is such good news for me!

It sounds really stupid when you see it laid out like that, huh?
Did you have some sort of written contract with Equifax, one which contained an arbitration clause?

I wouldn't think so. As a credit reporting agency, they ended up with your identity data by means largely outside of your control. You probably had no express written agreement with them at all. Thus, if you suffered damages as a result of mal/mis/nonfeasance on the part of Equifax, I don't see how this legislation affects 1) your ability to join in a class action against EFX or 2) suing EFX yourself for damages, including for recovery of attorney's fees and costs of suit.

Looks like you got yourself all worked up over nothing, bless your little heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies