Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2017, 10:00 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
1. I'm sure the corporations would rather pay out $360k v $1B
2. Would you rather be in a group of 34 million people received $29, or the 33,999,922 who received $0.
The number of arbitration cases will seriously climb, if you think it'll stay at 39 per year you're kidding yourself.

its far easier to file an arbitration case than a lawsuit anyways, and its far cheaper.

this makes it easier for the consumer to seek recourse, especially poor consumers

I dont agree with taking away a right to sue, but to pretend this means banks can do what or this destroys consumers ability to recover damages, is just idiotic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 10:04 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,551,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The number of arbitration cases will seriously climb, if you think it'll stay at 39 per year you're kidding yourself.

its far easier to file an arbitration case than a lawsuit anyways, and its far cheaper.

this makes it easier for the consumer to seek recourse, especially poor consumers

I dont agree with taking away a right to sue, but to pretend this means banks can do what or this destroys consumers ability to recover damages, is just idiotic.
Consumers could still agree to arbitration if they thought it was in their best interest. The law didn't outlaw arbitration, it was intended to give consumers more options, rather than handcuffing them to forced arbitration.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:06 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times
Is this how we "drain the swamp?" By letting billionaires who run the banks tank our economy with their subprime bubbles and open up accounts in our names without consent?

At any rate, this is not surprising because GOP is a party that serves only the rich. All their policies are designed to help the rich getting richer and to screw everyone else, especially the poor, sick, and elderly. So expect to see more **** like this.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Consumers could still agree to arbitration if they thought it was in their best interest. The law didn't outlaw arbitration, it was intended to give consumers more options, rather than handcuffing them to boilerplate agreements.
Many class action lawsuits are filed on behalf of individuals who dont even know they are clients. Ever get that dam post card in the mail which says, congratulations we sued "x".. heres your store credit for $1.99 to use towards your brand new car.. while the lawyers receive $84 million

You cant file arbitration on behalf of millions of people who dont know they are a plaintiff.

This hurts the huge class action lawyers more than anyone.. the rich and powerful ones..

Nice to see the left cry because class action lawyers will be struggling..

Old 10-25-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Many class action lawsuits are filed on behalf of individuals who dont even know they are clients. Ever get that dam post card in the mail which says, congratulations we sued "x".. heres your store credit for $1.99 to use towards your brand new car.. while the lawyers receive $84 million

You cant file arbitration on behalf of millions of people who dont know they are a plaintiff.

This hurts the huge class action lawyers more than anyone.. the rich and powerful ones..

Nice to see the left cry because class action lawyers will be struggling..
The class action lawyers still need to find a party that has standing. They can't just file a lawsuit without a victim.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
The class action lawyers still need to find a party that has standing. They can't just file a lawsuit without a victim.
yes i know, that changes nothing from what I stated..

Old 10-25-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
yes i know, that changes nothing from what I stated..
And nothing that you stated changes the fact that this law reduces risks for corporations while limiting options for consumers.

I guess for the GOP, consumers already have too much protection.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
And nothing that you stated changes the fact that this law reduces risks for corporations while limiting options for consumers.
I didnt state otherwise, but the stats posted clearly shows arbitration awards are far higher than class action ones on behalf of the consumers..

not even close to one another..

To whine that $20 payments are fair for people the left proclaims is being ripped off, is just idiotic..

Old 10-25-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I guess for the GOP, consumers already have too much protection.
or, banks currently have far more power than the little guy, can drown out the consumer with legal actions thus making it far tougher for a consumer to seek recourse. Theres two sides to this, some positive, some negative to both.

I already said I disagree with taking away the ability to sue, but how you guys are acting like this is a free for all for banks is just dumb.

They will surely see a huge increase in number of arbitration cases, and given their settlements were in the thousands rather than $20 ballpark on average, the banks might actually end up far worse in the event large groups of people decide to seek recourse.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I didnt state otherwise, but the stats posted clearly shows arbitration awards are far higher than class action ones on behalf of the consumers..

not even close to one another..

To whine that $20 payments are fair for people the left proclaims is being ripped off, is just idiotic..
It might not have been clear when I initially posted, but my main motivation for allowing class action lawsuits is that it serves as a bigger deterrent against bad behavior by corporations, due to larger overall payouts as well as bad publicity. That benefits all consumers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies