Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 02:34 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Just like everything else he ever said.

(It’s worth noting, in this regard, that the related plan put forward by the Obama Treasury to limit executive pay in Wall Street firms that received bailouts turned out to be riddled with holes.)

https://www.salon.com/2009/03/20/reich_3/

Did it happen? NO, it did not. Did the (D)'s have the White House and huge majorities in the Congress and the House to make this happen if they really wanted to? Yes they did. Obama said many things that he simply knew was not true.

As Jimmy Carter notes, we got Trump because of the failures of Obama.
Yeah, it DID happen. Moreover, I know who was against the caps:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/164544

This excerpt lays it out:

Quote:
“What executives have done is troubling, but it’s equally troubling to have government telling shareholders how much they can pay the executives,” said Sen. Mel Martinez (R-FL).

Sen. James Inhofe (R-OK) said that he is “one of the chief defenders of Obama on the Republican side” for the president’s efforts to reach across the aisle. But, said Inhofe, “as I was listening to him make those statements I thought, is this still America? Do we really tell people how to run [a business], and who to pay and how much to pay?”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 02:36 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, it DID happen. Moreover, I know who was against the caps:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/164544

This excerpt lays it out:
Yes they said that. I am NOT trying to defend them but there was little they could do. It did not happen.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:43 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
We are a nation of INDIVIDUALS, not MOBS(classes).

So political parties will be disbanded?

GREAT!

Old 10-25-2017, 02:54 PM

78,380 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
You two have forgotten which team you’re on, just like in the Tort Reform debate.

Let me remind you...you’re not wealthy corporatists...and you don’t belong to the executive class. You are wage earning peons like the rest of us. You have no business supporting or advocating for pro-corporate laws that could come back and bite YOU in the ass should you be harmed. And believe me, being a conservative doesn’t make you any less susceptible to mendacity on the part of big business. You just weirdly think that it does.

I will never understand why people like yourselves who are nowhere near the top of the food chain, sees the need to advocate for the corporate class when they not only have billions of dollars to advocate for themselves, but they also spend those billions on their own advocacy to get over on you at every turn.

You folks are amazing...and not in a good way.
In this specific instance I agree with you.

In general however, some of these pro-corporate laws are meant to shield them from rafts of frivolous suits and thus having to pass those costs onto the consumer.

California for example has MICRA which "protects" the corporations you are describing with medical malpractice claim caps.

Some of these protections are valid ways to prevent predatory litigation and pushing those costs onto consumers, some are obviously nothing more than the result of corporate lobbying efforts to protect their own pockets.

I just fail to see that there is any one side on this matter that is always correct.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:56 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times
And it's specifically protecting financial companies, Wall-Streety companies.

Think, for instance, of the over a MILLION people who were shafted by Wells Fargo.

No swamps being drained, that's for sure.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:00 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,749 times
Quote:
Yep. Embrace the white working class for what?

Look at the Tort Reform debate if you really wanna see how far off the rails these folks have gone. It’s insane.

Texans actually voted to cap their own damn damages to 250k! What in the hell are you supposed to say to appeal to people with a mindset like that when they’re so frickin warped!! If you’re a Lilliputian like most of us, why in the hell would you deflate the tires on the ONLY weapon you have against corporate malfeasance?? You can’t reason with people like that.

Then you find documentaries of Texans who had some tragedy happen, and 250k won’t even begin to cover their damages, especially after lawyer fees. And they sit there with that stupid ass look on their faces as they tell you that they voted for the legislation because they thought it made sense at the time. But now, it doesn’t because it affects THEM negatively.

These people man...SMH.
To be fair to the Trumpers we see this on both sides, but much more so from the Trump set.

I have never understood why people feel their loyalty to a party is worth anything more than the policies the party tries to move forward. The tort reform example you give is absolutely excellent. A cap of 250k is a joke. Maybe 250k sounds like a lot of money to a younger healthy person or someone who is dirt poor. But in terms of insurance or liability cases it is not nearly enough in many cases. Caps are OK when they are high and tied to particular types of injury or loss. but there should always be room for the outlier cases where costs run deep into the millions....

Requiring arbitration is just a way for corps to keep their costs down. It serves only the company and in the case of equifax most people were not even aware that they ever even signed away their rights by applying for a loan or some such.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:01 PM

78,380 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Re: capping exec salaries, I'm in favor of that if they take bailout money until they've paid it all back.

Otherwise, I leave that to the companies to decide.

Lol....reminds me of watching the World series last night. The average "big company" CEO gets paid 10.5mil a year (average 2nd baseman money) and the pitcher for LA would have been #4 on the top paid CEO's of 2016.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:01 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Remember when Wells Fargo employees opened some 2 million fraudulent bank accounts? Well, they were all tied to accounts of existing customers. When said existing customers sought to sue Wells Fargo, on the reasonable claim that they did not give permission for these accounts (with the associated fees) to be opened, Wells Fargo pointed to the mandatory arbitration clause in said customers agreement.
Which happened well before Trump came along

Old 10-25-2017, 03:05 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Link: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/wells...154053444.html

VP just gave a BIG middle finger TO consumers. One more protection for middle class bites the dust.

Updated: Grammer

Never agree to arbitration!
That in itself is stupid!

Old 10-25-2017, 03:09 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Given that the United States is the most litigious society on the planet, I am for tightening up on what we can sue for. Far to many frivolous lawsuits happen everyday. You can't watch late night TV without being bombarded with ambulance chaser commercials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies