Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2017, 03:29 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezguitar View Post
Race has been weaponized to the degree it has today because it's part of the consolidation of power over the masses. It plays on fear and guilt (particularly white because they're considered the most threatening to this take over).

Mind you, I don't see it as some mastermind conspiracy but simply a culmination of the common interests of those at the top, the elite. It trickles down from there with many supporters of this agenda virtue signaling because they're insulated from the immediate consequences or have the ability to buy themselves out of it. Conversely you have those at or near the bottom who also gain short term benefits. Some people simply like having a source outside of themselves to blame for what they lack in life.

Look at the constant attempts to hack away at the sovereignty of this and other 1st world, westernized countries. I've also noticed the praise of "multiculturalism" always seems to be a NIMBYish concept by those with the means to escape it.

I'm black and even I see the writing on the wall. This country allowed me to work my way up and achieve relative success even after all the dysfunction in my life when I was younger.

I'm constantly bombarded with the message that I should be angry with and despise white people and I simply can't relate. I feel lucky to have been born and raised here.

I'm an 80s kid so I didn't experience slavery or Jim Crow. I have sympathy for those who did but I'm not about to throw the baby out with the bath water. I appreciate where I am in the world because there is no utopia where human nature doesn't exist.
Great post.

Yep, race hadn't been weaponized in the 80's when you and I grew up.

In the late 70's, shows like Good Times, The Jeffersons, Sanford And Son and What's Happening brought black lives into white living rooms. In the 80's, shows like The Cosby Show and Family Matters were no longer about black families but American families that happened to be black. Nobody batted an eye about the Huxtables father being a doctor and mother a lawyer. It was expected their children would go to college.

The 80's were the decade when superstar athletes who were black were just viewed as superstars. They sold everything on television and were no longer just selling to the black audience. White businessmen were the target for Hertz who used OJ as their spokesman.

Few stars in Hollywood appealed to young white males more than Eddie Murphy. It wasn't because he was black, it was because he was funny, handsome and (excuse the reference) raw.

The 80's was also when rap began the crossover to mainstream. Most generations look for music that is different and unique from what their parents listened to, and rap was the sound that young people began listening to without care as to its origins.

I think people who grew up in the late 70's and early 80's are the ones who really don't care about race and embrace each other regardless of racial differences.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:47 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,657,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
No serious question.

There is so much of this stuff going around nowadays (racial divide, People getting offended so easily, etc,.) in this country It makes me wonder how long until people start saying that it is racist for white people to take pride and be proud of their Ancestors and their Accomplishments?

I think people who do Family History and Genealogy should be concerned about this.

I have mainly European ancestry with some Native American ancestry as well. I am Proud of both my European and Native American Ancestors (most of them). It doesn't make me a Racist. I take pride in some of my most recent Ancestors and their heritage. They were not bad people (most of them). They may have done things I don't agree with but no one perfect.

Black People take pride in their Roots, Heritage, and Ancestors and so do Native Americans nothing wrong with that. They should.

So why can't white People take pride in their roots and heritage as well? Why can't we also be proud of some of our Ancestors as well? I am not proud of the ones who owned Slaves or fought on the Conferdate Side in the Civil War.

There are good and bad people in all races. tHy all have a good and bad history.
As Americans we celebrate ancient European culture with Medieval Festivals. We celebrate German culture with Oktoberfest festivals and celebrate Irish culture with St. Patricks Day parades. And locally we celebrate things like Louisiana Cajun French culture with Crawfish festivals. ex.ex.

Do you believe any of the above events celebrating European countries and European culture are in danger of being outlawed?
(I have never heard anyone speak of outlawing any European celebration, festival or event.)

The actual issue is whether to keep public statues that honor men who fought to keep slavery legal in America. But republicans have spun this issue to claim white people can't take pride in their European ancestry.

Fact is white people are free to celebrate and take pride in any European country they want. And French, Irish, German, English, or Italian people are free to create clubs, organizations and festivals and no one will complain. Its only when white people want public statues honoring slavery or when they talk about killing other ethnic groups that people complain.

And if black Americans wanted public statues honoring black people who wanted to enslave white people, then white people would be complaining the same way. This issue is not about European pride its about slavery, but republicans spun the issue to make it appear the left opposes celebrating European culture (and that's a bunch of political BS.)

Last edited by chad3; 11-03-2017 at 05:00 PM..

Old 11-03-2017, 03:51 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
Obviously, however its on our dumb census. Still he received a large hispanic vote according to statistics, even though hispanics can be white, black, mixed, asian etc
Indeed he did. I said that Whites elected Obama. Without that White vote he would have never beaten the very very very poor candidates of McCain or Romney.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Whatever.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:57 PM

794 posts, read 1,326,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post

So why can't white People take pride in their roots and heritage as well? Why can't we also be proud of some of our Ancestors as well? I am not proud of the ones who owned Slaves or fought on the Conferdate Side in the Civil War.
Who says you can't? The issue isn't taking pride in your ancestors or heritage but I think it is if you are taking pride in the skin color alone...specifically that you are white vs. black, Asian, native American, etc. (Why would someone be proud of that when it is a complete genetic coin toss?)

I'm very proud of my ancestors but my pride isn't because of their skin color; it is because of what they did during/with their lives.

I'm also proud of my (partial) English heritage because I am an anglophile and love all things British. (Although, after receiving a non-stop history lesson on a recent trip to Ireland, I have to admit they also kind of suck. )

Old 11-03-2017, 04:10 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Except you have no such point. Provide just ONE time where white people were proud of ancestors and it was widely considered "racist".

This thread is basically a snowflake whining session for the Trump cult racial grievance crowd. "Poor me, I'm white and can't get ahead because of all those dirty minorities and immigrants!".
This, exactly.

I'm considered a social justice warrior on this site and I don't think anyone in my social justice warrior circles feels that you can't be proud of what your ancestors accomplished because they were white. On the contrary, the stories of struggle and success in our family histories are things that bind us together as people regardless of race.

The silly "liberals and minorities hate white people" crowd need to man or woman up and not completely shut down if somebody challenges their viewpoints in race.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:14 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
This, exactly.

I'm considered a social justice warrior on this site and I don't think anyone in my social justice warrior circles feels that you can't be proud of what your ancestors accomplished because they were white. On the contrary, the stories of struggle and success in our family histories are things that bind us together as people regardless of race.

The silly "liberals and minorities hate white people" crowd need to man or woman up and not completely shut down if somebody challenges their viewpoints in race.
It's not really minorities that hate whites, it's black activists and white liberals that do the hating.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:14 PM

18,028 posts, read 27,479,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
The KKK was started by racist white americans. Political party meant nothing back then considering, the whole government held racist beliefs. Jim Crow laws and a slew of other racist laws
Racist white Democrats. Just keep that fact straight.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:15 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's not really minorities that hate whites, it's black activists and white liberals that do the hating.
Sure it is, they have a monopoly on hate and racism, everyone knows that, right??? Good Grief

Old 11-03-2017, 06:21 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
White liberals are their own worst enemies. That's been proven over and over here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies