Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2017, 06:22 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,930,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
That is EXACTLY the problem. Firearms dealers are held to standards no other business in the country is held to. The very people here that are whining "racism" are some of the very same ones that attack gun dealers who sell multiple guns to the same person, or to sell them to people that in turn go and resell them to the criminal element.
Waiting for the NRA to protect your rights over the profit-motive, are you?

Quote:
...Today's NRA is a virtual subsidiary of the gun industry," said Josh Sugarmann, executive director of the Violence Policy Center. "While the NRA portrays itself as protecting the 'freedom' of individual gun owners, it's actually working to protect the freedom of the gun industry to manufacture and sell virtually any weapon or accessory." ...
This Is How The Gun Industry Funds The NRA - Business Insider

Old 11-12-2017, 06:31 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i think what he did was right, a business should have the right to refuse service to you, for any reason. a baker to a gun dealer. i dont like you, leave.

There was a huge amount of outrage from the right a couple of weeks ago when a left wing person tossed out some religious right wingers...

seems to me the hypocritical right wing is all for the right to refuse when it is a liberal or a minority being refused but they get every angry when the shoe is on the other foot.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
There was a huge amount of outrage from the right a couple of weeks ago when a left wing person tossed out some religious right wingers...

seems to me the hypocritical right wing is all for the right to refuse when it is a liberal or a minority being refused but they get every angry when the shoe is on the other foot.
While the NRA continues to 'put their money where their mouth is':

Quote:
The National Rifle Association goes to great lengths (and spends a huge sum of money) to defend the right to bear arms. It is opposed to virtually every form of gun regulation, including restrictions on owning assault weapons, retention of databases of gun purchases, background checks on purchasers at gun shows and changes in the registration of firearms. ...
https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/sum...?id=d000000082

Old 11-12-2017, 08:11 PM

78,438 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I would be suing that bar. Unless it was about underage drinking, I would sue that bar. I'm 31 and I think that is a very ridiculous restriction.
I was just looking at beach houses on-line and saw several that blocked anyone under 25. Guess they got tired of having spring breakers and other party groups tear up the place.

Rental car companies also have age restrictions.

The condos that just opened up near me are for people over 50.

We all know why the bar has that restriction. Young blood, drinks, tempers....lead to stabbings, shootings or beatings....and cost your business it's liquor license.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Who wants it both ways? I think it's ludicrous to have such unrealistic expectations of gun store owners. They're no different than anyone else.
I think many of us share this sentiment but I grew up in Illinois and lived in both the rural areas and Chicago.....it's COMMON practice to blame the cities shootings on the rest of the state, adjoining states and gun shop owners.

A quick google search shows multiple articles about this, I've been seeing this in the Sun Times and Chicago Trib for decades.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chic...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 11-12-2017, 08:55 PM

2,309 posts, read 902,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Furthermore, how many victims of gun violence even think to blame the gun store owner for such violence? When someone gets shot, they aren't thinking about where the perp got that gun. They are thinking "this perp shot me".
That's like suing the car dealership for selling a car to someone who will later kill someone while drunk.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
That's like suing the car dealership for selling a car to someone who will later kill someone while drunk.
It is, but the anti-gun groups have attempted in the last decade or so to just sue gun companies and stores out of business by burying them in legal costs.

Case doesn't have to be won...the whole goal is to just drown your target in bills.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:02 PM

2,309 posts, read 902,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post

From what I've seen and personally advocated, the gay guy was within his rights to kuck out anyone he chooses, however that doesn't mean we dont criticize him on merit. Same here if the allegation of racism is true. I personally think any business can kick out anyone for any reason, however if what he did was racially rooted then I condemn his racism. However from what I've seen, the store owner was not being racist.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
How so? Gun owners are typically the ones who advocate for strict enforcement of the laws regarding gun crimes and illegally owned guns.
Maybe you should hash it out with this guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think many of us share this sentiment but I grew up in Illinois and lived in both the rural areas and Chicago.....it's COMMON practice to blame the cities shootings on the rest of the state, adjoining states and gun shop owners.

A quick google search shows multiple articles about this, I've been seeing this in the Sun Times and Chicago Trib for decades.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chic...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Are you "advocating for strict enforcement of the laws regarding gun crimes and illegally owned guns"? From one of the pieces in your google search link:

Quote:
...But as a report released earlier this year by the office of Mayor Rahm Emanuel (D) reveals, most of the guns recovered in Chicago came from outside the state.

Only 40 percent of the guns recovered in the city were purchased in Illinois, the report read, including hundreds purchased at gun shops outside city boundaries. The report includes maps of two gun shops from which a large number of guns recovered in Chicago were purchased. The black dots are where the guns were recovered; the red Xs are the locations of the gun stores.

Many of the guns recovered in Chicago — a fifth of them — were purchased in Indiana, which abuts the city’s eastern border. An additional 9 percent of the guns recovered in the city came from Mississippi and Wisconsin.
To reiterate: I think it's ludicrous to have such unrealistic expectations of gun store owners. Nearly as ludicrous as the 'good guys with guns' vigilante schtick.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:17 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,648,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Oh let's just face the facts, if it was black man or a Muslim or an Asian who refused to sell to a white man with no record there would be so much outrage that this thread would be a virtual explosion of indignation.

How dare he not sell to moi!!!!

You all it's true.

I think you have that backwards TreeBeard. Nobody cares when something happens to a white person. This would not have even been a story if it had been a white guy being refused the gun sale. And the only racism on display is the racism that the story was meant to stir up. This story was only run because the person not being sold the gun was in fact a black man. Anything to stir up the "race hate" and keep us all at odds with each other. Black people and white people need to stop and realize someone wants us mad at each other. The people in power want us at each other's throats. Easier to control a populace that is so divided and set against one another. Just remember, United We Stand....But Divided We Will Surely Fall!

*****I may not agree with what you say, but I'd defend to the death your right to say it!*****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies