Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 07:54 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
And half of the forum will use any excuse but racism. Others have even confined it, saying he should have the right to refuse to sell to a black man.
One should legally have the right to not do business with another for ANY reason. Government doesn't own that business and should stay out when no ones rights have been violated. We follow this property rights rule then we don't have Jim Crow.
Granted because one has the right to do something doesn't mean they should. How long do you think a business will stay solvent if word gets out they wont serve XXX based on sking color, sex, or religion?

Old 11-08-2017, 07:54 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,169,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
An FFL holder absolutely has the discretion to refuse to complete a sale if they suspect the buyer is conducting a straw purchase.
Even if that suspicion is based on appearance or race? I hope the customer sues the gun shop into oblivion.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
What legit reason does the owner have? LOL. He can predict the future? The guy has already purchased multiple guns from the non-racist clerks. All of a sudden the owner is there that day he see's a glaring problem. Gee I would what it could be. LMAO! The black dude even said "before I could say anything he told me I couldn't buy a gun here".

It's funny how yall can reach and connect some made up dots about layaway, but the notion of a gun nut not wanting to sell guns to black people is preposterous. LOL
LMAO The store sells him guns. Now for some idiotic reason you think the store wont sell to him because he's black.

People like you who falsely play the race card are the reason we have race problems today.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Even if that suspicion is based on appearance or race? I hope the customer sues the gun shop into oblivion.
What legitimate reason would he have to sue? I'd really like to hear your response.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:59 PM

26,504 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
They can refuse to sell if they feel the buyer is up to no good... strange that anti-gun people have a problem with that AND criminal gun use...
I don't think they are upset with that law, they are upset because they think he refused due to race.

"If" the sale was refused due to race it should be a concern to us all.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:05 PM

26,504 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
One should legally have the right to not do business with another for ANY reason. Government doesn't own that business and should stay out when no ones rights have been violated. We follow this property rights rule then we don't have Jim Crow.
Granted because one has the right to do something doesn't mean they should. How long do you think a business will stay solvent if word gets out they wont serve XXX based on sking color, sex, or religion?
I am fine with the 14th Amendment being applied to businesses.

No one should be denied service simply due to their color, race, national origin, etc...

What if we are talking a rural area with only 1 grocery store and the next closest one is 45 minutes away? We should be fine with them refusing a person due to race? What about a hospital?

I am fine with discrimination for health codes (no shirt/shoes no service), but I don't want to condone blatant racism that rips the country in two.

If you are a public business you should be open to the public.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:12 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,378,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I agree, as long as that reason isn't race, sex etc.

Why should race or sex be different?

Right. It shouldn't.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:21 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,598 times
That guy seemed like an idiot and could barely string words together. The owner probably heard the incomprehensible yammering coming out of his mouth and decided that he shouldn't own a gun. I would feel the same way.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I am fine with the 14th Amendment being applied to businesses.

No one should be denied service simply due to their color, race, national origin, etc...
Because you don't care about the rights of the property owner. Good to see your support for Jim Crow.
Explain why people should be FORCED to adhere to your morals?

Quote:
What if we are talking a rural area with only 1 grocery store and the next closest one is 45 minutes away? We should be fine with them refusing a person due to race? What about a hospital?
Really? Someone is going to live in a remote area that won't serve them? They never looked into that area before they moved and when they did they finally decided to come outside after living underground with no contact from anyone and thats when they found out about the racism?
Why don't you come up with a legitimate question?

Quote:
I am fine with discrimination for health codes (no shirt/shoes no service), but I don't want to condone blatant racism that rips the country in two.
Why does a restaurant need government or anyone to tell them what is or isn't a healthy environment? People are too stupid to notice dirt?

Quote:
If you are a public business you should be open to the public.
Agreed. However the rights of the individual trump what others think is the correct thing to do and no one should use force to make another work for them. That's called slavery.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:28 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
I doubt it. I'm sure the other non-racist clerks have sold to black people. Not the owner. Again, this a repeat customer. The store owner didn't realize he was a repeat customer. All he saw was a black dude walk in and put up his wall before he could even ask about purchasing a gun. Stop playing naïve. The gun owner coming up crap about straw sales. Based on what?
What do you purpose be done if indeed he is racist (although there's no evidence of that, just speculation)?

Keep in mind, he reserves the right to deny anyone of purchasing a weapon for whatever reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies