Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 12:33 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Where did I claim to know about rural SC? But a lot of rural America is much like SE Ohio, and that poster's description of such places is spot on.
You claimed to speak for the "culture of rural America" as if it were some big monolithic place. It isn't.

And what Joy Reid really wants to say is that she hates White people. But she knows if she does, she will lose her high paying NBC job. Nothing more to it than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 12:35 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,379,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
You bring up an excellent point and two perfect examples. The right is given the edge by the EC.
Yes, the EC has chosen presidents who lost the popular vote in 2 out of the last 5 elections, benefitting the right both times. Gerrymandering also very disproportionately benefits the right.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:37 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,448,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Yes, the EC has chosen presidents who lost the popular vote in 2 out of the last 5 elections, benefitting the right both times. Gerrymandering also very disproportionately benefits the right.
Another one who doesn't understand how it works. Public education at it's finest.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:37 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,755,015 times
Why is the electoral college any less "fair" than a parliamentary system where the voters pick the MP's and the MP's pick the Prime Minister?

Old 11-29-2017, 12:38 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,236,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
As somebody who lives in rural America (in the South), I can say this is not far from the truth. Most people here want a right-wing Baptist theocracy where homosexuality is illegal and young earth creationism is taught in public school science classes. They only support things like free speech and free press when it benefits them and they want to restrict opposing viewpoints from getting the same treatment. Their ideal society is something that isn't far off from "A Handmaid's Tale." The only "rights" they support are gun rights.

This is the Internet so I have to say that of course, I know that not EVERYONE who lives in rural America think like this. However, this worldview is quite common.
I lived in the rural South for 25 years (Alabama, North Carolina and Tennessee). The vast majority of people there aren't remotely like what you describe. If you go deep into Appalachia you can find a few here and there but you have to go looking for them.

I now live in a very rural area in the West and I haven't met a single person like you describe.

Bottom line: You have a totally inaccurate understanding and you really have no idea what you're talking about. Your perception of people is wildly inaccurate.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Another one who doesn't understand how it works. Public education at it's finest.
Really? So what exactly did happen during the elections that I cited? And please learn to debate more respectfully with those who disagree without before you take the liberty of critiquing the educational level of others. That is a very closed minded debate tactic.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
I lived in the rural South for 25 years (Alabama, North Carolina and Tennessee). The vast majority of people there aren't remotely like what you describe. If you go deep into Appalachia you can find a few here and there but you have to go looking for them.

I now live in a very rural area in the West and I haven't met a single person like you describe.

Bottom line: You have a totally inaccurate understanding and you really have no idea what you're talking about. Your perception of people is wildly inaccurate.
Actually it does describe the area I lived in pretty well. The West may be different.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:52 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Why is the electoral college any less "fair" than a parliamentary system where the voters pick the MP's and the MP's pick the Prime Minister?
Simple. In a parliamentary system each member represents about the same number of voters. Not true in the EC.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:56 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Simple. In a parliamentary system each member represents about the same number of voters. Not true in the EC.
Not in the UK. Not even close.

And you are wrong about the EC too. EC does not represent voters. It represents population as spelled out in the US Constitution. It's very fair.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You righties are such snowflakes.

Were you this upset when Sarah Palin excluded where most Americans live when she said "real America" was the small towns:

“We believe that the best of America is not all in Washington, D.C. We believe that the best of America is in these small towns that we get to visit, and in these wonderful little pockets of what I call the real America, being here with all of you hard working very patriotic, um, very, um, pro-America areas of this great nation. This is where we find the kindness and the goodness and the courage of everyday Americans. Those who are running our factories and teaching our kids and growing our food and are fighting our wars for us. Those who are protecting us in uniform. Those who are protecting the virtues of freedom.”
Yep, like those those of us who live in cities do none of the things that she cites lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies