Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 07:55 AM

45,579 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hmm.

Isn't "Inappropriate Sexual Misconduct" nothing more than a MSM euphemism for Rape?
For conservatives, yes.

For liberals, it's an unfortunate incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm shocked some of you think these claims are made up or exaggerated. Just because we've been hearing about a lot of them only means that power and ego can lead to the erosion of morals.

Is that new?
Innocent until proven guilty is a thing of the past these days.

I want this behavior rooted out... but we do have a process for this stuff, don't we?

But I guess these guys are passively admitting they are guilty by accepting the consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 07:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It may have the net effect of making it more difficult for women to get hired, especially those who are attractive.
^ sounds a tad Fundamentalist

Hold the woman responsible/ deny her opportunity because some men choose to not control themselves.

Why not require women to wear a burqua and make it illegal for men and women to be educated, employed, shop, dine and worship side by side because men choose to blame women instead of taking responsibility for their own behaviors?

Inappropriate sexual behavior in the work place is a choice.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:58 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
DAYAM!

I could do at least half as good as he was doing. And they could have me for a mere $100,000.00 a week.

All in all, another shock, but another communist shill I won't miss.

He'll be back in some form, to further the "cause". In the meantime, he's taking one for the team to advance whatever agenda this whole harrasment thing is pushing.

CN
You're most likely correct. In about a month or so he'll go over to MSNBC and start the reputation rehab apology tour for a while, maybe after a short stint in "The Meadows" in AZ.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:59 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
They aren't going to fire Matt Laurier for "having a discussion". The rest could indeed be considered rape.

[USC Title 10, Subtitle A, Chapter 47X, Section 920, Article 120] defines rape as: “ (a) Rape.— Any person subject to this chapter who commits a sexual act upon another person by: (1) using unlawful force against that other person;
(2) using force causing or likely to cause death or grievous bodily harm to any person;
(3) threatening or placing that other person in fear that any person will be subjected to death, grievous bodily harm, or kidnapping;
(4) first rendering that other person unconscious; or
(5) administering to that other person by force or threat of force, or without the knowledge or consent of that person, a drug, intoxicant, or other similar substance and thereby substantially impairing the ability of that other person to appraise or control conduct;
is guilty of rape and shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.[90]

Like I posted before, I think they've known what he is but opted to put up with it. Now that it's out in the public they had to act swiftly to contain the damage.

When there's no talk of investigating claims as a first course of action then they either wanted to get rid of the guy and used that as an easy out - or they were well aware of him and had to cut him loose.

There's no way they didn't know how he is. He's been slammed in the media for bad behavior for decades.

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The ball falls and Matt is on the unemployment line.
Couldn't happen to a better guy.
Matt is getting the last laugh. No unemployment line for him. He has a ton of money.

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
"Mainstream" media is disintegrating before our eyes. A spicy joke at the office 20-years ago will now get you fired!
" Talent" like Lauer, Rose and O' Reilly, etc are not fired for a spicy joke in the workplace.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:00 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You're most likely correct. In about a month or so he'll go over to MSNBC and start the reputation rehab apology tour for a while, maybe after a short stint in "The Meadows" in AZ.
He can join up with the liar Brian Williams.

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
No it won't.

I'm a woman working in a male-dominated industry and there are problematic men of all nationalities and ages.

The main two categories are:

• South Asian men (e.g. Indians, Pakistanis, etc) whose patriarchal culture has taught them to treat women differently than men. They're not all bad, but the ones who are bad are insufferable. Preening, arrogant, dismissive, condescending, etc.
  • White men under 40, a.k.a. "Bros" who don't condescend to women...they either ignore us or have conversations about "hot chicks" or go to group lunches at breastaurants like Hooters and Twin Peaks, knowing that most women won't want to tag along. These are the guys who will usually eventually lay you (females) off once you hit 40.
The south Asians are the biggest offenders in creating a hostile work environment in my experience. The white male "bros" are more annoying than anything else, but for now they still wield a lot of power in my industry and are hence the bigger threat.

Now I've never been sexually harassed in the traditional sense...nobody's ever made unwanted physical contact with me or threatened my employment or reputation in exchange for sexual favors. Ever. But I've been made to feel uncomfortable, unwanted, incompetent, etc. by them. When I'm not being outright ignored, I'm being accused of being abrasive, hysterical, or on my period.

I've never gone to HR over any of it because it's almost impossible to prove and I don't want a huge target painted on my back. If you can't prove it definitively and absolutely, it's best to stay quiet. Most of us know this.

I've been in this field for 20 years with a little over half of that spent working in the United States (my native country and where I currently live). I've known of very few female colleagues who've ever brought this kind of harassment or discrimination to HR's attention and none took it lightly.

In my entire career, I know of only one man who was fired from his job for "inappropriate conduct." This was in a country where firing people is far more difficult than it is in the United States and conduct that was ignored/condoned from other people constituted gross misconduct in his case. (FWIW, he sued the employer for wrongful dismissal and won.) He was not reported by any female colleagues; rather, IT reported him to HR because they were monitoring his e-mails under orders from his (male) boss. He received a racy e-mail which he then forwarded to someone else in the organization. The male recipient of that e-mail was not part of the complaint.

I'm glad that the current environment is emboldening actual victims of harassment and discrimination to step forward and hold the perpetrators accountable. I would like to see more intersectionality, though. There's just as much discrimination based on age, race, national origin, etc. as there is based on gender. I want society to take on ageism. I want society to take on anti-black discrimination. I want society to take on anti-Americanism in IT.

We're only scratching the surface here.
That’s a great post, thanks for sharing your experiences. The day of reckoning for men behaving badly is at hand.

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I just turned off MSNBC because they stopped discussing tax reform. When I turned off the TV it was all women discussing sexual harassment, no men.

It's a good thing that Morning Joe married the woman that he was potentially harassing. I would miss his insightful reporting.
Best thing you ever did if you value sanity... <bold>

6,414 posts, read 4,911,200 times
Good riddance. I don't know how he got the job in the first place. He was getting 28,000,000/year you would think for that kind of money he could control himself. I never watch the Today show anyway but he certainly was no reason to tune in. I wonder what Mrs Lauer will be thinking/doing now. This must have been some pretty heavy duty stuff for NBC to fired him like that. It will come out in the next few days I am sure. He has a wife, 3 kids and of the best paying gigs in broadcasting and goes off the rails like this. Goes to show some men are never happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies