Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy your taxes are going up?
Yes 22 29.73%
No 52 70.27%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 12:03 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,195,632 times

Advertisements

Yeah, no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 12:06 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Yes, I truly would like to get an actual, agreed-upon, bottom-line total from an OBJECTIVE source. If you can provide a link, that would be great! (I searched and the one I provided was the only one I found that had easy-to-understand figures -- so, I would NOT be surprised if they were not correct.) Also, of course, I understand that it would be very difficult to get a "real" figure as there are so many variables, plus so much is unreported and so much is not taken into account.

But as far as the you last statement, yes, that WOULD be very easy for me to say. Three out of four of my grandparents lived to 92 and spent their last months in a nursing home, so for me, it IS easy to say that I would prefer death and 100% mean it without a doubt.

But that brings up another point -- I just wonder how many people WOULD rather die than end up with NO quality of life -- meaning stuck in bed with no awareness of anything? I can only speak for myself, but I doubt that I am not the only person who feels that way. Of course, it goes without saying that not everyone agrees with me!
Many in assisted living facilities and nursing homes funded by Medicaid do have quality of life. It may not be what it was when they were twenty or thirty, but many seem to find joy and meaning in their lives.

In any case, what are their options? Committing suicide?

Old 11-30-2017, 12:11 PM

833 posts, read 521,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Two votes have taken place over the last couple of days, strictly along party lines. The first vote was to begin debate and the second vote was to send the bill back to committee. Debate has begun and the bill did not go back to committee.

With all of the deductions that are being taken away from so many, one would think that deductions for moving a factory abroad would be discontinued. That is not the case. Every dollar that is spent moving jobs abroad and claimed as an expense will continue to be deductible.

The President will betray the people who elected him just to get a win. His loyalty is to the class which he is a member. His signature on this tax bill will be clear evidence.
The votes were down party lines because the GOP doesn't need Democrats to pass tax reform. Your representative could just as easy stay home and it wouldn't change a thing.

Also, I challenge you to cite your source on the claim that there's a deduction "for moving a factory abroad."

Old 11-30-2017, 12:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Two votes have taken place over the last couple of days, strictly along party lines. The first vote was to begin debate and the second vote was to send the bill back to committee. Debate has begun and the bill did not go back to committee.

With all of the deductions that are being taken away from so many, one would think that deductions for moving a factory abroad would be discontinued. That is not the case. Every dollar that is spent moving jobs abroad and claimed as an expense will continue to be deductible.

The President will betray the people who elected him just to get a win. His loyalty is to the class which he is a member. His signature on this tax bill will be clear evidence.
He has betrayed us, in what way and isn't that just your opinion, not based on fact?

Old 11-30-2017, 12:18 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
What you have just put on full display is your ignorance of Keynesian economics.

Keynesian economics says that during economic downturns, it is wise for the government to use its fiscal power to be demand of last resort, to put people back to work. The same Keynesian economics says that in good times the government should have a balanced budget and in boom times run surpluses to cool down the economy.
dude, you can't expect these folk to understand much beyond what they think they personally might gain. Asking them to look at the bigger picture is asking to them consider the longer term implications of their actions. If they couldn't do it Nov 2016, they won't do it now.

All these folks care about it sticking it to someone else and getting some today that someone else might have to pay for tomorrow.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:19 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,602,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
True, there are currently 13 Republican house members in California, watch that evaporate to one or two if this passes...
Quite a few of them are in safe districts. (Those +5 or greater R)
Take a look at NY tho.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cook_P...n_Voting_Index

Old 11-30-2017, 12:22 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Many in assisted living facilities and nursing homes funded by Medicaid do have quality of life. It may not be what it was when they were twenty, but many seem to find joy in the little things.

In any case, what are their options besides hanging in there? Committing suicide?
I am not talking about people who do have at least SOME quality of life; I was referring to those people who cannot get out of bed and have NO awareness of anything -- they don't know who they are or where they are and they cannot care for themselves in ANY way, and they don't care. (Sorry I did not make that clear.)

As far as options, I personally would like there to be an option of "mercy killing" for ONESELF in which if certain criteria were met (such as what I listed above) with three doctors ascertaining that the conditions WERE met, and then a painless death -- such as a fatal overdose of barbiturates or morphine -- would then be given -- and that this could only be done through something like a living will when the person was of sound mind, preferably long before the person showed any signs of dementia or other mental illness at all.

However, I don't want to hijack this thread, so I hope we can go back to the topic at hand.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:22 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times
Quote:
“We call on Congress to oppose the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act due to our strong belief that this bill is fiscally irresponsible, endangers our country’s economic health, and disproportionately benefits the wealthy at the expense of vulnerable people and low-income families,” reads a letter from over 2,400 faith leaders.

“Moreover, we have grave concerns over the manner in which such a large and complex bill, affecting the entire economy and millions of Americans, is being recklessly rushed through Congress,”

Faith leaders write to Senate leadership opposing tax plan | TheHill

I doubt will make any difference, but good to know they're making an effort.
GOP controls all 3 branches of the government. The plan will pass. Nothing we can do about it.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:24 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Quote:
“We call on Congress to oppose the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act due to our strong belief that this bill is fiscally irresponsible, endangers our country’s economic health, and disproportionately benefits the wealthy at the expense of vulnerable people and low-income families,” reads a letter from over 2,400 faith leaders.

“Moreover, we have grave concerns over the manner in which such a large and complex bill, affecting the entire economy and millions of Americans, is being recklessly rushed through Congress,”

Faith leaders write to Senate leadership opposing tax plan | TheHill

I doubt will make any difference, but good to know they're making an effort.
Same old B.S.!

Funny they didn't have a problem with the fiscal irresponsibility of Barrack Hussein Obama, who doubled our national debt and never achieved even 3% GDP in eight years, raised taxes, and penalized people for not buying something they don't want.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:27 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Obama got whatever he wanted, including the awful Obamacare scheme and the largest tax increase in U.S. history.

Maybe you were still in junior high back then.
FOR THE FIRST TIME IN US HISTORY THE REPUBLICAN PARTY STOLE A SCOTUS SEAT.
Never before in our history has any party denied a POTUS the right to fill an open SCOTUS seat.
NEVER.

so you are demonstrably wrong lovetorow, you have been corrected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies