Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy your taxes are going up?
Yes 22 29.73%
No 52 70.27%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 11:34 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
FactCheck is completely biased and run by leftists. I am not clicking the link, because I know the filthy liberals passed the biggest tax increase in U.S. history under Obama.
Only when measured by unadjusted dollars. Inflation and all.

Hint: Look at World War 2... Then there was the LBJ surcharge...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

5,129 posts, read 2,599,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
True believers don't care. If you ever watched the movie Idiocracy, you would realize that what is happening is life imitating art.
thats exactly what happened when this country elected Obama not once, but twice!

life imitating art happened again when we had Grand theft Auto: Baltimore after the Freddie Gray deal, as well.

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
McCain must be at death's door if he voted in favor of a Republican bill. Looney Leftists are saying he betrayed them.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:35 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
They are lame ducks if they vote for this bill. They will be on record as voting to raise taxes on their constituents. They are voting to put party ahead of the interests of their own voters. For that they should and will be shown the exit door.
What might complicate that is that I think they might front load tax breaks for the middle class for tax year 2017, then start peeling them away after the midterms, so the political impact to Republicans might be delayed but I think eventually it will mean that they won't control congress for a very long time

Old 11-30-2017, 11:36 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
If 4% of the Medicare budget ($675 billion total) is spent per year on nursing home care -- the link below is the closest I could find to an actual figure -- that means that "only" $27 billion of Medicare dollars is spent on nursing home care. https://www.kff.org/medicare/issue-b...and-financing/

However, that brings up my question as to why, if it is "only" $27 billion, why can't we reduce what we give as handouts to non-U.S. citizens, which according to the following is $116 billion?
https://fairus.org/issue/publication...ates-taxpayers

Don't you think that people who have paid their fair share in Social Security and other taxes for all or most of their adult lives deserve at least as much healthcare and security in their old age as those who haven't done so?

I am a 64-year-old woman, and I don't care if no one pays for my end-of-life nursing home stay because I would rather be dead at that point -- but whether Medicare is touched or not, I just hope that they don't reduce Social Security!

Old 11-30-2017, 11:37 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,834,015 times
Take Econ. 101 all over again.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:42 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
If 4% of the Medicare budget ($675 billion total) is spent per year on nursing home care -- the link below is the closest I could find to an actual figure -- that means that "only" $27 billion of Medicare dollars is spent on nursing home care. https://www.kff.org/medicare/issue-b...and-financing/

However, that brings up my question as to why, if it is "only" $27 billion, why can't we reduce what we give as handouts to non-U.S. citizens, which according to the following is $116 billion?

Don't you think that people who have paid their fair share in Social Security and other taxes for all or most of their adult lives deserve at least as much healthcare and security in their old age than those who haven't done so?

I am a 64-year-old woman, and I don't care if no one pays for my end-of-life nursing home stay because I would rather be dead at that point -- but whether Medicare is touched or not, I just hope that they don't reduce Social Security!
That's exactly the plan.

Rs have been gunning for Social Security and Medicare for years now. They make no bones about it.

The plan is to run up the national debt with tax cuts and bogus wars, then claim we have to balance the budget by cutting Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, ...

Old 11-30-2017, 11:44 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
And that's precisely why the GOP supports it. Hell, they crafted it.

Republican orthodoxy:

Working families are greedy and have too much.

Millionaires are needy and deserve so much more than they already have."

It's who they are.

So where are the Democrats with an alternative bill that actually lowers taxes on the middle class?

Nothing stopping them from presenting another bill. ......

Other than the fact that they don't want anyone's taxes lowered.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:44 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,240,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Two votes have taken place over the last couple of days, strictly along party lines. The first vote was to begin debate and the second vote was to send the bill back to committee. Debate has begun and the bill did not go back to committee.

With all of the deductions that are being taken away from so many, one would think that deductions for moving a factory abroad would be discontinued. That is not the case. Every dollar that is spent moving jobs abroad and claimed as an expense will continue to be deductible.

The President will betray the people who elected him just to get a win. His loyalty is to the class which he is a member. His signature on this tax bill will be clear evidence.
Right, it's been shown trickle down doesn't work. Corporations are going to use their tax cuts to hoard cash instead of hire more workers or increase wages. Just watch and see.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:45 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post

Don't you think that people who have paid their fair share in Social Security and other taxes for all or most of their adult lives deserve at least as much healthcare and security in their old age than those who haven't done so?

Try getting your data from a site other than Fairus and we can talk. Those numbers are absolute BS and have been widely debunked. Donald Trump says illegal immigration costs $113 billion a year | PolitiFact

And you don't care if no one pays for your end of life nursing home stay? That's easy to say when you're 64.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies