Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy your taxes are going up?
Yes 22 29.73%
No 52 70.27%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 11:21 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,226,475 times

Advertisements

Two votes have taken place over the last couple of days, strictly along party lines. The first vote was to begin debate and the second vote was to send the bill back to committee. Debate has begun and the bill did not go back to committee.

With all of the deductions that are being taken away from so many, one would think that deductions for moving a factory abroad would be discontinued. That is not the case. Every dollar that is spent moving jobs abroad and claimed as an expense will continue to be deductible.

The President will betray the people who elected him just to get a win. His loyalty is to the class which he is a member. His signature on this tax bill will be clear evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 11:23 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Everyone from faith leaders and ordinary Americans to JCT and CBO are saying the same thing -- it benefits the wealthy at the expense of working Americans.

"It’s no wonder then that the GOP tax bills are now among the least popular pieces of major legislation in modern history, with the public rejecting it by a two-to-one margin. Other than Republicans, all party, gender, education, age and racial groups disapprove of the bill."

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...opular/546668/
True believers don't care. If you ever watched the movie Idiocracy, you would realize that what is happening is life imitating art.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:24 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'd rather the bill not pass, but I see the upside if it does. It makes Republicans in blue states vulnerable. Contrary to popular belief, there are Republican suburban districts lying outside of major cities on the East Coast, and these districts would be disadvantaged by this bill.
True, there are currently 13 Republican house members in California, watch that evaporate to one or two if this passes...

Old 11-30-2017, 11:26 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'd rather the bill not pass, but I see the upside if it does. It makes Republicans in blue states vulnerable. Contrary to popular belief, there are Republican suburban districts lying outside of major cities on the East Coast, and these districts would be disadvantaged by this bill.
The upside is that we'll get a good dose of what Republicans are all about.

Wonder how it will go over.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:28 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,960,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
FactCheck is completely biased and run by leftists. I am not clicking the link, because I know the filthy liberals passed the biggest tax increase in U.S. history under Obama.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:30 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,171,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
True, there are currently 13 Republican house members in California, watch that evaporate to one or two if this passes...
They are lame ducks if they vote for this bill. They will be on record as voting to raise taxes on their constituents. They are voting to put party ahead of the interests of their own voters. For that they should and will be shown the exit door.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:32 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,186,851 times
Quote:
Well, it's a wrap folks, hope you don't depend on medicare, social security or medicaid because they will all be impacted by this monstrosity of a bill... John Mc Cain has just issued a statement that he's a yes vote.

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/936264258576404480
Surprise, surprise; another letdown from a Republican senator. Might just be "baked in" to his party affiliation? The myth of the "good Republican." Name one.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:32 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,018,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
FactCheck is completely biased and run by leftists. I am not clicking the link, because I know the filthy liberals passed the biggest tax increase in U.S. history under Obama.
I believe the largest tax increase in our history was in 1942, which was 5.04 percent of GNP, to pay for the war effort.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:33 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
They are lame ducks if they vote for this bill. They will be on record as voting to raise taxes on their constituents. They are voting to put party ahead of the interests of their own voters. For that they should and will be shown the exit door.
Not sure about lame ducks, but they are certainly sitting ducks if they vote for this dreadful bill.

Since Rs in the House already passed it, I suspect it will be used in next year's campaigns for House seats.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:34 AM

32,117 posts, read 34,753,293 times
Quote:
In suburban Philadelphia, you have Pat Meehan (R-PA), Ryan Costello (R-PA), Brian Fitzpatrick (R-PA) and Tom Macarthur (R-NJ). They all voted for the House version. Frank LoBiondo (R-NJ) voted against it, but is that really going to matter? His district is competitive enough where an unpopular President and an unpopular bill could be enough to do him in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies