Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 06:15 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times

Advertisements

Michael

Michael bullied me when we were in junior high school together, from about 1967 to 1971. We really didn't have contact until 1988. That summer he and others from our junior high school were playing beach football. I was brought into the game by Dave, someone who I'd been friendly with in junior high school and then from 1984 on. When we were in junior high school I was not athletic, making me easy to bully. Dave knew that had changed since he remains a close friend; Michael didn't.

During the 1988 beach football game, he was assigned to guard me. He was only half-watching, since he didn't expect I would be passed the ball. David, knowing my current abilities, passed me the ball. I caught itl and of course started running toward the goal. I was about 20 or 30 yards down the beach before Michael noticed anything. To salve his humiliation he challenged me to tennis. I beat him 6-0, 6-1 in tennis, on a 96+° day. Two summers later I was dating my girlfriend, now wife. He asked to be assigned a cabin room in our cabin. He sheepishly apologized and "hoped QRS was behind me." I said, "of course." We have continued to be acquaintances.

The other postscript was that I got married in 1991 and am still happily married. He married in 1999, and within a few years he was divorced.

================================================== ======
CHARLIE

In ninth grade, a student, let's call him Charlie, told me, "if you touch me I'll vomit all over you." Intrigued by this interesting threat I proceeded to attempt to shake hands with him. In response he pulls out a bicycle chain and starts whirling the padlock around his head at me. He follows me down two flights of stairs. Eventually I hold him at bay by grabbing the handles of a set of double-doors. Right after, during rains associated with Hurricane Agnes (would have been about June 23, 1972) the principal calls both my parents in and urges them to move me to a private school.

The only thing that prevented that was my threat not to cooperate, given the obvious lack of justice and my mother's obvious lack of spine (my father was a bit more supportive). The next fall, Charlie yanked a high stool out from under me. My father called his parents. It was the last I heard from Charlie until learning, at our high school reunion, of his 2012 death. I clapped softly during the memorial video. I visited a mutual friend a few months later, who told me he had drug problems.

Even though I applauded (softly) I really wish the story had a happier ending.As a bankruptcy lawyer I take pride in giving people second chances and in rehabilitation. And in many ways I am sad to hear Charlie died of drug abuse. I would rather he would have turned himself around. If they make no effort to help themselves, though, and they have hurt me badly, I am not too saddened at their death. But again, I always want people to turn themselves around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 01:20 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I’m a white male 50 right now and I grew up in the 80s. Will you live in the ghetto out of the hood but we live in bad neighborhoods they were considered the worst but they were pretty bad. In my generation I would guess that boys felt the need to prove themselves. Or just maybe being a new kid in a new school in a new neighborhood was enough reason to start a fight. They were more fights outside school then in school .
Walking through a neighborhood middle of the night maybe should get Ted been drinking who knows the real reason. Or me at least it was a part of my life as a kid growing up.
Bullying happens among any and all genders, ethnicities, socioeconomic groups. It's pretty commonplace at prep schools as well as inner city schools.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:47 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The "zero tolerance" liberal policies in schools now punish the victim more than the perp if they fight back. Usually because the victim actually wants to graduate.
As a liberal, i have to say those policies are not liberal. How could you say that? Liberal for who-the bully? It is called "fear of lawyers" or "cowards running things".
I say we go back to how it was in the old days. The bully used to have to publicly apologize and deal with the shame of his peers knowing he screwed up.

It disgusts me they don't punish the bully, they hold their effing hand, cryin; for them. the victim gets re-victimized. happened to my kid for several years, we tried all the things they said, put him in martial arts, etc. Without them doing their part=it fails. They are changing tho-cause of all the suicides.
FINALLY!

Old 11-11-2018, 08:27 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
As a liberal, i have to say those policies are not liberal. How could you say that? Liberal for who-the bully? It is called "fear of lawyers" or "cowards running things".
I say we go back to how it was in the old days. The bully used to have to publicly apologize and deal with the shame of his peers knowing he screwed up.
Yes, it ain't liberal and it ain't conservative, it's "cowards running things." It's the lawyers talking.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:23 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
I grew up in the old style school system. K-6 in one building. The kids policed themselves. If someone tried to bully another student, the older kids took care of it. Now with the schools set up with only kids from one age group together, that does not happen.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:47 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,612,664 times
Bullies are bullies. They pick on kids smaller & younger; they sense those who have issues with self confidence or are physically or mentally weak, or "different". They gang up & outnumber those they may be unsure of overpowering by themselves. Bullies are not kids who fight because they have a difference with another kid, bullies try to damage those they know they can hurt without any payback.

Some of the cocky replies here about "taking care of it ourselves in the schoolyard" reveals more about the kind of kid you were back then then you probably imagined.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:10 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post

It disgusts me they don't punish the bully, they hold their effing hand, cryin; for them. the victim gets re-victimized. happened to my kid for several years, we tried all the things they said, put him in martial arts, etc. Without them doing their part=it fails. They are changing tho-cause of all the suicides.
FINALLY!
Really? Who do you think comes up with these ridiculous school policies? It sure as hell isn't the old school conservatives that squash it by expelling just the instigator. When young they'd get a whack by the principal or put to shame. Liberal policies changed all that. Victims are now treated the same at the attacker if they try and defend themselves.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Really? Who do you think comes up with these ridiculous school policies? It sure as hell isn't the old school conservatives that squash it by expelling just the instigator. When young they'd get a whack by the principal or put to shame. Liberal policies changed all that. Victims are now treated the same at the attacker if they try and defend themselves.
No, conservatives are just as sensitive to being sued as liberals.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:49 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No, conservatives are just as sensitive to being sued as liberals.
I know many many teachers, etc and have never heard of ONE being sued. Ever. Unions are too strong for that.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
I know many many teachers, etc and have never heard of ONE being sued. Ever. Unions are too strong for that.
If you actually knew any teachers, you'd know classroom teachers don't set those policies.

You'd also know who does get sued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies