Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2017, 02:36 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
First things first, kids are the most vicious animals on the face of the earth that wolverines pale in the face of.
Secondly, social media has increased the pack mentality a thousandfold and made it easy to destroy anyone without consequence. I fully believe if things don't change both legally and morally social media will be the death of us all.

Exactly! I wonder why that is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 02:39 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Also note we don't have any gaming systems. I don't buy gamging systems for my kids. I want them to create things instead of sitting around playing games.

My son was upset about that when he was aged 10-13 especially but now it doesn't bother him anymore. He is very creative and creates apps himself and he makes movies and creates artwork that we put on t-shirts, posters, shoes, and other things that he sells via a business we started for him and one of my similarly creative nephews. He also makes action figures.

Kids don't have to play video games all the time. My daughter has never played one at all. And my son has actually thanked me for not getting him one since he's not fat like his friends (and some of my nieces/nephews) who sit around and play games all the time.

My kids do use PCs though for their school work. I had to recently teach my daughter how to type (a 3rd grader!) because our state's standardized test is now PC based and the kids have to type essays as a part of their writing assessment. My daughter also does math facts online via a website and khan academy but her PC use is supervised as our PC is in our dining room and everyone is always looking and/or walking through there.

Parents can and should set boundaries for their kids. Mine also don't have a TV in their rooms either. I truly believe that a large amount of kids today with behavioral problems those stem from too much stimulation from screens in their lives and not getting enough physical activity and sleep. They have their whole lives to be a slave to technology. They should have their childhood to be free from it for a time in their lives.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:25 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
bullies find kids that won't fight back. if they know you'll fight back, they'll leave you alone
In some cases, bullies will work in packs. In that case, they pick the kid who is alone. In many cases bullies expect someone to fight back, so they gang up on victims, to make it impossible to fight back. That happened to me, although I'm a millennial.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:48 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In some cases, bullies will work in packs. In that case, they pick the kid who is alone. In many cases bullies expect someone to fight back, so they gang up on victims, to make it impossible to fight back. That happened to me, although I'm a millennial.
Yes, times have actually changed. What worked for us won't work for kids today.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:30 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,318,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
....'ball up your fist, swing as hard as you can, aim for the head......you may get the s*it kicked out of you but chances are, the bullying stops..
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
bullies find kids that won't fight back. if they know you'll fight back, they'll leave you alone
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Some kids can’t do that. Not everyone is capable of fighting, especially someone bigger than they are.
My father was the kindest, meekest, most polite and mild mannered man on the earth, a sweet and quiet man. We came home after school one day and told him of a bigger kid picking on my brother and his reply was priceless...and I quote, "the bigger they are the harder they fall".

My father encouraged us to allow the bullies (yes, plural) to follow and chase us home and then he would come out..to referee a one on one; the bullies didn't care for those odds and typically ran off with their "tail between their legs".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
We dealt with it ourselves or we'd get our asses kicked at home.

and this

But times are different now. If a kid punches you and you punch him back both get suspended.

Administrators ignore bullying in a good majority of schools because nearly always the parents are bullies and it's easier to control the target than the bully. If the cops are brought into it, there's that mess. Not to mention that people are litigious.

And bullying is much worse these days with social media adding an extra element, and kids (and parents) angrier and meaner than I ever thought imaginable.

Some bullies taunt the parents after their child has killed him/herself. How sick is that?
Yes, the coward bullies of today are similar to 'anonymous' posters where there can be no immediate repercussions for their actions.

I grew up in the early 60's and things are much different these days and I discouraged my children from reacting to bullies, it worked for my daughters...the sons, not so much.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Yes, times have actually changed. What worked for us won't work for kids today.
But even from stories I heard from those days, there were cases of ganging up on other kids. I went to high school during the early 2000s. I can remember getting jumped in a classroom by two bigger kids. All they needed was a moment alone with me and no one to stop them (teachers left the room just before it happened).

Old 12-19-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Most of the worst bullies come from abusive homes. They start out really young abusing others as they have been abused. It is no excuse, they learn it is wrong quickly but it is what it is.

My first grade bully came from the sketchy side of town, by the swamp. He only had one shirt, one sweater and always wore the same pair of brown corduroy pants and worn out suede shoes. Weird how we can remember details like that, but the kid terrified me and forced me to do his homework or said he would kill me. Six years old, and pre-internet or cable tv even, so he must have learned that from somewhere else.
Abusive home life is one part of it. Another part of it are parents who don't put their foot down. I remember getting bullied by several kids in my neighborhood. These were not poor kids. These were skateboarders who like to mess with other kids. Middle class kids. I soon learned the parents were no better.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
This...

This...

My father was the kindest, meekest, most polite and mild mannered man on the earth, a sweet and quiet man. We came home after school one day and told him of a bigger kid picking on my brother and his reply was priceless...and I quote, "the bigger they are the harder they fall".

My father encouraged us to allow the bullies (yes, plural) to follow and chase us home and then he would come out..to referee a one on one; the bullies didn't care for those odds and typically ran off with their "tail between their legs".

Yes, the coward bullies of today are similar to 'anonymous' posters where there can be no immediate repercussions for their actions.

I grew up in the early 60's and things are much different these days and I discouraged my children from reacting to bullies, it worked for my daughters...the sons, not so much.
The bullies of today are just like a kid from my youth who's mouth would overload his butt. He'd get everyone all pissed off and wanting to kill him then run into his house, open a window and start running his mouth again with insults knowing nobody could go in after him...

Old 09-08-2018, 07:39 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,568,982 times
I was only bullied a couple times, and each time I made sure to knock the bullies' head off. When I was younger, I had a severe stuttering issue and some fools made a point of mocking me. I had friends who stood up for me, but I wanted to let my fists do the talking. One day I was fed up with the teasing and decided to call out the bullies who kept trying me because of my speech defect. One day one of the bullies were called on to read in class, and he tried to be funny by mocking my stuttering, so at that moment I decided that was it and decided to go over and knock his head off. I hit him and the other guy like Mike Tyson, and from that moment on, no one ever made fun of me for my childhood stuttering issue. That was the beginning to the end of my stuttering, and I got respect from my peers in school. The impact of my punch was heard by all. I felt good and don't regret that moment because I learned how to stand up for myself. Now, those bullies go the other way when they see me in public after years of lifting/working out, plus kickboxing training. At the time, I lived in the hood and ghetto children are a different breed than regular kids from middle & upscale neighborhoods.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:02 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
One day one of the bullies were called on to read in class, and he tried to be funny by mocking my stuttering, so at that moment I decided that was it and decided to go over and knock his head off. I hit him and the other guy like Mike Tyson, and from that moment on, no one ever made fun of me for my childhood stuttering issue. That was the beginning to the end of my stuttering, and I got respect from my peers in school.
Imitating my stuttering was constant through ninth grade. At the end of eighth I had had enough. I pinned one of the mimickers, Donald, to the group and started flailing away at him on the school playground. If I remember correctly I was punished, and not him, notwithstanding the fact that he broke every school rule in the book.

My ending was not as happy as yours on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies